New international students admitted to the University of Bergen can apply for housing through the Student Welfare Organization (Sammen).
Housing guarantee for new international students
- Exchange students.
- International master's degree students.
- Students in other UIB collaboration programs with a minimum stay of one semester (NORPART, Fullbright and other similar programs).
Conditions to be eligible for housing guarantee
- New international student admitted for at least one semester (see categories above).
- Residing abroad at the time of the admission.
- Submit the application for student accommodation within the deadline 15 May/1 November.
- Arriving at the beginning of the semester (rent must be paid from 1 August/1 January).
- Only first time applicants to SAMMEN housing. It is not possible to terminate the housing contract and then have guaranteed housing again
- Shared rooms will be allocated to short term students.
- Family and couple apartments are not included in the housing guarantee.
- Pets are not allowed at SAMMEN’s buildings (guide dogs are exempted).
How to apply for accommodation with housing guarantee
All students entitled to housing guarantee will receive information about application procedure by email. Applications must be registered at the Sammen application portal, following the instructions given by the University of Bergen. Remember to register a valid mobile phone number (including country code), when applying for housing.
Housing guarantee ensures a space in a student hostel. A specific room type/location is not guaranteed. Allocations are randomised.
|Autumn semester (start August)||31 March - 15 May|
|Spring semester (start January)||1 October - 1 November|
Students with special needs
SAMMEN can offer rooms/apartments that are specially adapted for students with special needs. These rooms/apartments are located in Damsgårdsveien, Gyldenpris, Grønneviksøren, Jekteviken, and at Fantoft TRE Student housing.
Requests for disability-related accommodations are considered on a case-by-case basis and availability. Supporting documentation (medical certificate), must be submitted to SAMMEN.
The application must be submitted through SAMMEN application portal by 15 May/1 November.
Housing offer and allocation periods
- The housing offer will be given by SAMMEN within 1-3 weeks after 15 May/1 November deadline.
- Students will receive the housing offer/contract by e-mail.
- Information about allocation will be available through "My Pages" (SAMMEN online portal).
- Exchange students MUST accept the housing offer, even if their admission at UiB is still under consideration.
- The monthly rent includes internet access, water, heating. Electricity must be paid separately.
- The housing offer will be cancelled if you do not accept it within the deadline stated in the contract/e-mail.
|Autumn semester||1 August - 31 December|
|Spring semester||1 January - 31 July|
Make sure you thoroughly read before your sign and understand your tenancy agreement, especially about the term and conditions and type of agreement and duration. Early termination of a rental contract can incur fees and additional costs.
- The tenancy agreement must be signed within the deadline.
- The agreement can be accepted by using SMS code or electronic draw signature (a valid phone nr. must be registered).
- The signed tenancy agreement must be sent by e-mail to email@example.com (do not send the signed agreement by postal service.
- Students should not sign the tenancy agreement, if their application for admission is rejected by UIB or if they are planning to find alternative/private accommodation in Bergen.
Please pay attention to the following:
- The tenancy agreement is a legal binding agreement between the student and SAMMEN.
- Students are liable for paying rent for the entire duration of the tenancy period/semester (minimum 5 months), if the agreement is not cancelled within the deadline of 30 November.
- Any legal issues connected with a tenancy contract are considered a private issue
- SAMMEN cancellation regulations and deadline applies to students that withdraw from exchange, have not been granted admission or are planning to find alternative accommodation in Bergen.
Cancellation deadline and conditions
The cancellation deadline for the spring semester 2024 is 30 November: No extension beyond this date*.
Conditions for cancelling the housing offer:
- Withdraw from exchange period at UIB.
- Have not been granted admission by UIB
- Notify Sammen by email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- UIB will have to confirm the withdrawal.
- Any other reason for cancellation will be treated as an ordinary termination period.
The tenancy agreement is a legal binding agreement between the student and SAMMEN. We strongly advise all students to read the document carefully and get familiarized with the terms and conditions before signing the contract.
SAMMEN is a separate organization and therefore UIB cannot interference with their cancellation policies and regulations.
Please note that students that terminate their tenancy agreement due to alternative accommodation, will not be given guaranteed housing again.
*Cancellations after the deadline will be subjected to SAMMEN cancellation policies and regulations. Students will be bond to pay rent for the whole allocation period.
Moving out/Termination of contract before the end of the semester
The housing contract is allocated for the entire semester. Students may only terminate the agreement after 3 months and with 3 months’ notice starting from the first day in the following month. Information on when the contract was issued, or other terms and regulatios are available on "My Page". You can also contact SAMMEN at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Detailed information is available at Moving out? — Bergen (sammen.no
SAMMEN is a separate organization and therefore UIB cannot interference with their tenancy agreement policies and regulations.
Staying for less than one semester and other accommodation
This information is mainly for short-term students staying for less than one semester and for students intending to find alternative accommodation in Bergen.
Online portals for finding accommodation