Chronic liver disease is huge burden for patients and societies worldwide. Besides alcoholic liver disease, viral hepatitis is the leading cause of liver fibrosis leading to cirrhosis, liver failure and death or transplantation. In chronic hepatitis C (HCV), liver biopsy has largely been replaced by transient elastography for the identification of patients with substantial fibrosis and indication for interferon-free antiviral therapy.
During my PhD-project I will follow patients who undergo treatment for HCV and measure liver stiffness non-invasively, and by various ultrasound elastography methods, to investigate whether these ultrasound methods can be used not only to define the indication for treatment, but also to determine at what rate liver stiffness may be reversible in treated patients as inflammation and possibly fibrosis resolve. I have previously validated the applied ultrasound elastography methods in phantom studies, and the findings will be compared to a cross sectional study, of healthy controls across all age groups and in both sexes, that I completed in 2017.
PhD-title: A NOVEL NON-INVASIVE METHOD TO MEASURE LIVER STIFFNESS- Elastography of liver stiffness during Hepatitis C treatment, with reference to a healthy cohort
- 2019. Normal Liver Stiffness Values in Children: A Comparison of Three Different Elastography Methods. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition - JPGN. 68: 706-712. doi: 10.1097/MPG.0000000000002320
- 2018. Strain ratio as a quantification tool in strain imaging. Applied Sciences. 8:1273: 1-12. doi: 10.3390/app8081273
- 2018. Liver elasticity in healthy individuals by two novel shear-wave elastography systems-Comparison by age, gender, BMI and number of measurements. PLoS ONE. 13:e0203486: 1-16. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0203486
- 2017. Assessing liver stiffness by 2-D shear wave elastography in a healthy cohort. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. 44: 332-341. doi: 10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2017.10.013
- 2017. Repeatability of shear wave elastography in liver fibrosis phantoms—Evaluation of five different systems. PLoS ONE. 13:e0189671: 1-16. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0189671
- 2016. Ultrasound and point shear wave elastography in livers of patients with primary sclerosing cholangitis. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. 42: 2146-2155. doi: 10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2016.04.016
- 2016. In Vitro Comparison of Five Different Elastography Systems for Clinical Applications, Using Strain and Shear Wave Technology. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. 4: 2572-2588. doi: 10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2016.07.002
- 2016. In vitro comparison of five different elastography systems for clinical applications, using strain and shear wave technology. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. 42: 2572-2588. doi: 10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2016.07.002