- Telefon+47 58 75 20 96
- BesøksadresseHF-bygget, Sydnesplassen 7
- PostadressePostboks 78055020 Bergen
My research sits at the multiple intersections between digital media/culture, literary studies and applied linguistics. My research involves numerous interdisciplinary projects, such as combining digital fiction research with body image psychology; and studying speech accents in videogames using machine learning techniques.
Recent research projects include:
- "Writing New Bodies: Critical Co-design for 21st Century Digital-born Bibliotherapy" (PI, SSHRC Insight Grant, approx. $208,000; 2018-2020)
- "Dyscorpia: the Future of Art at the Intersections of the Body and Technology" (CI, SSHRC Connections Grant, $42,585, 2018-2019)
- "Speech Accents in Games": folk linguistic player discourses, character voice design, and speech recognition / deep learning (PI on SSHRC ReFiG sub-project, approx. $18,000; CI on KIAS Cluster grant, "Deep Learning for Sound Recognition," 2017-18)
- Digital Narratives around the World (KIAS Dialog Grant, $1770, 2017) - symposium and evolving research groups
- Reading Digital Fiction (AHRC-funded, UK-based, approx. $420,000)
- Monograph project (with Alice Bell): Digital Fiction and the Unnatural: Theory, Method, Analysis; forthcoming with Ohio State University Press, 2021 (Sheila Watson Recruitment Fellowship, $10,000, 2016-2018)
- The Lore of Pre-Web Electronic Literature and The Eastgate Quarterly Review of Hypertext (Endowment Fund for the Future: Support for the Advancement of Scholarship Fund: $2,500, 2018; Visiting Scholarship, Electronic Literature Lab, Washington State University, Vancouver, 2019)
Follow this link for more information, for example about my past research projects, a full list of publications and my current CV.
My past and current teaching has been mostly in media, communication and cultural studies, and particularly in digital media, videogames, electronic literature and digital fiction, transmedial narratology and, quite some time ago, German language, literature and culture.
- (2021). Video Games in/as Digital Humanities? Corpora, Code and Critical Co-Design .
- (2021). Videogames, Digital Fiction, and the Unnatural.
- (2021). Posthuman Healing and Critical Digital Fiction Co-Design.
- (2021). Literary Gaming: Digital Culture Between Narrative Play and Electronic Literature.
- (2021). "On the Effect(s) of Living Backwards”: A Platform-critical, Collaborative Analysis of Kathryn Cramer’s In Small & Large Pieces.
- (2021). Digital Fiction and the Unnatural: Transmedial Narrative Theory, Method, and Analysis.
- (2021). Traversal of Richard Smyth’s ‘Genetis: A Rhizography'.
- (2021). Traversal of Kathy Mac’s Unnatural Habitats.
- (2021). Kathryn Cramer’s Traversal of “In Small & Large Pieces”.
- (2021). Unnatural Spaces in The Pickle Index: Inscrutable Mapping and Post-digital Dys-topicalization.
- (2021). Reading Hyperlinks in Digital Fiction: an Empirical Approach.
- (2021). Bodies in E-lit. 12 sider.
- (2021). Divine intervention: Multimodal pragmatics and unconventional opposition in performed character speech in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Pragmatics & Beyond New Series. 205-227.
- Ensslin, Astrid & Alice Bell (forthcoming, 2021) Digital Fiction and the Unnatural: Transmedial Narrative Theory, Method, and Analysis. Columbus, OH: Ohio State University Press.
- Ensslin, Astrid & Isabel Balteiro (eds) (2019) Approaches to Videogame Discourse: Lexis, Interaction, Textuality. New York: Bloomsbury.
- Ensslin, Astrid, Pawel Frelik and Lisa Swanstrom (eds) (2017), Small Screen Fictions, Special Issue of Paradoxa, vol. 29. 334 pp.
- Ensslin, Astrid (2014) Literary Gaming. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Bell, Alice, Astrid Ensslin & Hans Rustad (eds) (2014) Analysing Digital Fiction. New York: Routledge.
- Ensslin, Astrid (2011) The Language of Gaming. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ensslin Astrid & Eben Muse (eds) (2011) Creating Second Lives: Community, Identity and Spatiality as Constructions of the Virtual. New York: Routledge.
- Ensslin, Astrid (2007) Canonizing Hypertext: Explorations and Constructions. London: Continuum.
- Johnson, Sally & Astrid Ensslin (eds) (2007) Language in the Media: Representations, Identities, Ideologies. London: Continuum.
For a complete list of books and articles please visit: https://astridensslin.wordpress.com/publications/