- Telefon+47 55 58 49 79+47 934 07 680
- Besøksadressec/o Bjerknes Centre for Climate ResearchJahnebakken 55008 Bergen
- PostadressePostboks 78035020 Bergen
- Promote and coordinate WCRP´s Core Projects and Grand Challenges in line with WCRP Strategic Plan 2019-2028
- Contribute to synergy and integration between the various regional activities and WCRP´s Core Projects
- Highlight opportunities, resources, and partnerships that can help promote regional climate research within the WCRP
- Contribute to the dissemination of WCRP´s activities through brochures and online media
- Schedule and organize science-specific meetings and courses conducted by WCRP
- Report on plans and progress at annual meetings
- Contribute ot synergy and integration between WCRP and BCCR
- 1999. JGOFS Data Management and Synthesis Workshop 24-25 September 1998, Bergen, Norway Meeting Minutes. 45 sider.
- 1999. New data and information system Steering Group sets agenda. U.S. JGOFS NEWS. 10: 11.
- 1999. JGOFS data managers and modellers address common concerns. U.S. JGOFS NEWS. 9: 12.
- 1998. Joint Global Ocean Flux Study (JGOFS) Meets in Cape Town to Honour Former Chairman. U.S. JGOFS NEWS. 9: 1.
- 1998. Creating an International Data Management System for JGOFS. U.S. JGOFS NEWS. 9: 1.
- 1998. Productivity and fitness in a fjord cod population: an ecological and evolutionary approach. Fisheries Research. 37: 143-161.
- 1995. Ecological modelling in coastal waters: Towards predictive physical -chemical-biological simulation models. Ophelia : International Journal of Marine Biology. 41: 5-36.
- 1993. Winter distribution and migration of the sound Seaherring layers, Zooplankton and microncroton in Masfjorden, Norway. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 102: 35-50.
- 1996. Eutrophication of the North Sea, 1980-1990: An evaluation of anthropogenic nutrient inputs using a 2D phytoplankton production model. Institutt for fiskeri- og marinbiologi, Universitetet i Berge n. 284 sider.
- 1994. The use of a coupled physical-biological 2D-model to study the impact of anthropogenic nutrient inputs upon the primary production of the North Sea. SFT. 45 sider.
Peer reviewed scientific articles
- Fasham, M.J., B.M. Balino and M.C. Bowles (eds.). 2001. A new vision of Ocean Biogeochemistry after a decade of the Joint Global Ocean Flux Study (JGOFS). AMBIO special report 10, May 2001, 30 pp
- Salvanes, A.G.V., and B.M. Balino. 1998. Productivity and fitness in a fjord cod population: an ecological and evolutionary approach. Fisheries Research 37 (1-3): 143-161
- Aksnes, D.L., K.B. Ulvestad, B.M. Balino, J. Berntsen, J. Egge, and E. Svendsen. 1995. Ecological modelling in coastal waters: towards predictive physical-chemical-biological simulation models. Ophelia 41: 5-36
- Balino, B.M and D.L. Aksnes. 1993. Winter distribution and migration of the sound scattering layers, zooplankton and micronekton in Masfjorden, western Norway. Marine Ecology Progress Series 102(1-2): 35-70
- Giske, J., D.L. Aksnes, B.M. Balino, S. Kaartvedt, U. Lie, J. Tryti Nordeide, A.G.V. Salvanes, S. Wakili and A. Aadnesen. 1990. Vertical distribution and trophic interactions of zooplankton and mesopelagic fishes in Masfjorden in winter 1989. Sarsia 75(1): 65-81
Balino, B.M.1996. Eutrophication of the North Sea: 1980-1990: an evaluation of anthropogenic nutrient inputs using a 2D phytoplankton production model, 284 pp
Reports, articles in newsletter and editorials
- Balino, B. and T. Furevik (eds) 2011. Centre for Climate Dynamics at the Bjerknes Centre, Brochure. 16 pp
- Balino, B. and T. Furevik (eds) 2010. RESCLIM report of activities 2010-2011. 10 pp
- Balino, B. and E. Jansen (eds). 2005. Annual report of the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research: Centre of Excellence activities. 29 pp
- Balino, B. and E. Jansen (eds). 2004. Annual report of the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research: Centre of Excellence activities. 24 pp
- Balino, B. and E. Jansen (eds). 2003. Annual report of the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research: Centre of Excellence activities. 20 pp
- Balino, B.M., M.J. Fasham & M.C Bowles (eds.). 2001. Ocean bio-geochemistry: a synthesis of JGOFS research 1988-1998. IGBP Science No. 2, 32 pp.
- Lowry, R.K. and B. Balino (editors) 1999. JGOFS Data Management and Synthesis Workshop. JGOFS Report 29/99. Bergen, Norway, 45 pp.
- Balino, B., 1999. New Data and Information System Steering Group Sets Agenda. Vol.10. No. 1. US JGOFS News
- Balino, B. and R.K. Lowry, 1999. JGOFS data managers and modellers address common concerns. Vol. 9 No. 4, US JGOFS News
- Balino, B., 1998. Developing an information management system for IGBP. Vol. 9 No. 3, US JGOFS News
- Hanson, R., B. Balino and J. Stokke, 1998. JGOFS SSC meets in Cape Town to honor former chairman. Vol. 9 No. 2, US JGOFS News
- Grong, E., and B. Balino. 1994. Beskrivelse av den kjemisk-biologiske-transportmodellen TRACER. Det Norske Meteorologiske Institutt Teknisk rapport Nr. 135, 48 pp
- Balino, B. 1994.The use of a coupled physical-biological 2D model to study the impact of anthropogenic nutrient inputs upon the primary production of the North Sea. Report commissioned by SFT, 43 pp.
- Balino, B. 1993. Nutrient inputs to the North Sea, Skagerrak and Kattegat. River Concentrations and loads from 1980 to 1990. Report commissioned by HOV-Senteret, 75 pp
- Balino, B.M., H.B. Botnen, V. Fleming, A-M. Ruokangas and Ø. F. Tvedten. 1993. Deep benthos in the Nordic Seas. A seminar report BFM 402. IFM report series 17, 85 pp
- Martinsen, E.A., H. Engedhal, G. Ottersen, B. Ådlandsvik, H. Loeng, and B.Balino. 1992. Climatological and hydrographical data for hindcast of ocean currents. MOMOP (MetOcean MOdeling Project) final report. The Norwegian Meteorological Institute, Techical report No. 100, 93 pp
- Balino, B., K. Hamre, and P.G. Kvenseth. 1990. Halibut activities in Tveitevågen and Veløy, 1990. A/S MOWI annual report, 100 pp.
- Balino, B. 1989. Startfeeding of halibut larvae. Ny Fisk report L 6/89, 71 pp
- Hamre, K., B. Balino, and J.I. Nielsen. 1989. Halibut fry 1989G. A/S MOWI annual report, 34 pp
- Balino, B. and K. Hamre. 1988. Extensive rearing of turbot larvae. A/S MOWI annual report, 50 pp.
Academic research administrator with more than twenty years of experience in multidisciplinary scientific programmes and research centres, on marine, climate and global environmental research at the national and international level. Strong team player working effectively with directors, executive committees, research groups and administrative staff. Demonstrated skills in setting up and/or leading secretariats to service extensive scientific communities worldwide. Successful history in fundraising and coaching for grant preparations. Extensive experience in liaising and forging of communication channels among partners worldwide. Expertise in organisation of large scientific meetings and conferences. Skilled secretary to boards, scientific committees and working groups. Communication proficiency to the scientific community, stakeholders and the general public. Broad outreach, editorial and language skills
Research & Training
- Academic research: marine biology and fjord ecology; theoretical studies of phytoplankton dynamics and ecosystem modelling; sea ranching of cod. Industrial research: Development of novel methodologies in aquaculture.
- Research consultancy: design and provision of case studies targeted to strategic planning to combat coastal marine pollution.
- Lecturer of undergraduate and graduate courses in biological oceanography and marine pollution.
Research Administration and Science Policy
Administration of inter- and multidisciplinary international projects and research programmes integrating disciplines in natural and social sciences, medicine and law. Broad experience in elaborating science strategies and implementation plans, hearings and overviews. Initiation and follow-up of activities. Collation of information on national and regional programmes. Forging of communication channels among scientists worldwide.
Adviser to boards, deans and head of departments on research strategic plans, research training and policy issues. Held positions as deputy director, head of office and administration at secretariats staffed with 5-30 people, to service research communities between 200 and 8000 scientists throughout the world. Experienced in financial control of budgets of up to 4 mill €. Experience in fund raising from the Research Council of Norway, European Commission, NordForsk and National Science Foundation. Coordination of input to work programmes and grant calls. Mobilisation and coaching of scientists during grant preparations. Experience in scientific project management and monitoring.
Organisation of seminars, workshops and international conferences of up to 500 participants. Preparation of meeting's agendas and minutes to steering boards, scientific committees, etc.
National and International Engagement
Member of national and international committees, expert and discussion groups with duties in inter-project strategy planning and implementation of activities. Extensive network building up experience and promotion of international collaboration among research institutions and agencies worldwide. Experience as convener, session chair, moderator and rapporteur at international science meetings.
Outreach, Editorial and Language skills
Editor of scientific reports, policy briefs and design of promotional material and articles in newsletters. Presentations at international science meetings and conferences worldwide. Experience in web editorial work. Fluent in English, Norwegian and Spanish
- Dr. scient., Dept .of Marine Biology, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Bergen, Norway (1996)
- Cand. scient., Dept. of Marine Biology, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Bergen, Norway (1990)
- Licenciado en Oceanografía Biológica (BSc in Biological Oceanography). Faculty of Humanities and Sciences, Universidad de la Republica, Uruguay (1982)
2018-to date: National Coordinator, Norwegian Marine University Consortium, UiB
2016-2018: Deputy director, Divison of Research Administration, UiB
2012-2015: Head of administration of the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research, UiB
2009-2011: Science coordinator, Geophysical Institute, UiB
2007-2009 Senior adviser for marine research, Avdeling for Research Management, UIB
2006-2007: Deputy Director, Natural Sciences, Secretariat of the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme, Stockholm
2001-2006: Science coordinator, Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research, Bergen
1996-2001: Assistant Executive Officer, JGOFS International Project Office, Bergen
1994-1996 : Research fellow, Department of fisheries and marine biology, UiB
1994: Research consultant (i) Norwegian Authority for Pollution (SFT), (ii) Ocean Surveyance and Monitoring Center (HOV)
1991-1994: Research fellow, IBM Bergen Environmental Center, Bergen
1989-1990: Research scientist, AS MOWI, Bergen
- Joint Coordination Office of WCRP Regional Activities. Scientific Coordinator - 2019 -present
- Norwegian Marine University Consortium. National Coordinator. 2018 - 2019
- UiB´s External Funding Task Team (BOA-team). 2016-2018. Leader
- Svalbard Integrated Earth System Observatory System (SIOS). 2010-2013. Participant WP1: Administration and Communication
- Norwegian Research School in Climate Dynamics (ResClim, www.resclim.no) 2009-2016. Project Manager
- International Geosphere-Biosphere Project (IGBP). 2006. Deputy Director, secretariat
- EU FP5 research project Patterns of Climate Variability in the North Atlantic - PACLIVA. 2002-2006. UiB coordinator. Project Manager
- EU FP5 research project Meridional Overturning Exchange with Nordic Seas – MOEN. 2002-2005. UiB coordinator. Project Manager
- EU FP5 research project Tracer and circulation in the Nordic Seas Region TRACTOR . 2001-2004. UiB coordinator. Project Manager
- The Joint Global Ocean Flux Study. International Project Office. 1996-2001. Assistant Executive Officer
- Modelling case study on the transport of pollutants in the North Sea. 1994. Norwegian Authority for Pollution Control (SFT). Principal scientist
- Test runs of a chemical-biological transport model in the North Sea; database maintenance on occurrences of toxic-algae blooms. 1994. Ocean Monitoring and Forecasting Center. Research assistance
- Biological modelling of sea ranching of cod. 1987-1990. Department of Marine Biology, UiB, Research Fellow.
- Eutrophication of the North Sea 1980-1990: en evaluation of anthropogenic nutrient inputs with a 2D-phytoplankton production model. 1991-1994. IBM Bergen Environmental Center, Research fellow
- Rearing of marine fish larvae Turbot (Scophtalmus maximus) and Halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus). . 1989-1990. AS Mowi Norwegian Salmon, Research scientist
- Study of sound scattering layers and zooplankton dynamics in Masfjorden. 1987-1989. Department of Marine Biology, UiB, Master student.
- Coastal Ecology of Maldonado - ECOMA. . 1982-1984. Department of limnology and oceanography, Universidad de la Republica, Uruguay.Bachelor student