I am a PostDoc in the GENSINC project (GENetic adaptations underlying population Structure IN herring, Clupea harengus) at the University of Bergen. The overall aim of the project is to establish an improved biological basis for stock identification in herring which will contribute to a more sustainable exploitation of the species. We use genome sequencing to document variability in genes with potentially high adaptive significance resulting in phenotypic variability. My main task is to conduct multigenerational experiments, e.g. consisting of hybrids between spring and autumn spawning herring, to understand evolutionary and population genetic responses to environmental change. I am responsible to investigate the phenotypic plasticity of herring reared under common garden conditions and to develop methods to discriminate different herring populations. This can be further used to improve the assessment of this species.
In addition to the GENSINC project, I am also involved in a series of small projects lead by the Institute of Marine Research to investigate the population structure and dynamics of small pelagic fish like sprat and herring. My research area is concentrating on the Norwegian coast, the North Sea and Skagerrak. As part of this work, I am also a member of the ICES Herring Assessment Working Group for the Area South of 62°N (HAWG) that provides scientific advice on the herring, sprat and sandeel stocks in the North Sea and the adjacent areas spanning from the Celtic Sea to the Western Baltic.
Eggers, Florian; Almeland, Oda W. ; Slotte, Aril; Andersson, Leif; Folkvord, Arild. 2016. Common garden crossing experiments of herring and their possibilities. YouMares 7. doi: 10.13140/RG.2.2.10505.44647
Eggers, Florian; Folkvord, Arild; Slotte, Aril. 2016. Salinity dependent fertilization rates of herring from Landvikvannet - a recently occupied brackish water habitat. 40th Annual Larval Fish Conference. doi: 10.13140/RG.2.1.4539.3526/1
Eggers, Florian; Husebø, Åse; Godiksen, Jane; Slotte, Aril. 2015. Discrimination of mixing Atlantic herring (Clupea harengus) populations during spawning season based on otolith growth at the larval stage. ICES Annual Science Conference, ICES CM 2015/E:30. doi: 10.13140/RG.2.1.2349.3600
- 2019. Assessing the performance of statistical classifiers to discriminate fish stocks using Fourier analysis of otolith shape. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. doi: 10.1139/cjfas-2019-0251
- 2018. Population structure and dynamics of Atlantic herring. A case study of herring inhabiting marginal habitats in Landvikvannet and its vicinity. Universitetet i Bergen.
- 2018. Genetic factors have a major effect on growth, number of vertebrae and otolith shape in Atlantic herring (Clupea harengus). PLOS ONE. 13:e0190995: 1-16. Publisert 2018-01-11. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0190995
- 2018. Genetic origin and salinity history influence the reproductive success of Atlantic herring. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 617-618: 81-94. doi: 10.3354/meps12680
- 2018. Earlier hatching and slower growth, a key to survival in the early life history of Norwegian spring spawning herring. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 617-618: 25-39. doi: 10.3354/meps12682
- 2017. Spawning time of Atlantic herring (Clupea harengus) populations within a restricted area reflects their otolith growth at the larval stage. Fisheries Research. 194: 68-75. doi: 10.1016/j.fishres.2017.05.009
- 2017. Comparative biology and population mixing among local, coastal and offshore Atlantic herring (Clupea harengus) in the North Sea, Skagerrak, Kattegat and western Baltic. PLOS ONE. 12:e0187374: 1-19. Publisert 2017-10-30. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0187374
- 2017. Fishing profiles of Danish seiners and bottom trawlers in relation to current EU management regulations. Fisheries Management and Ecology. 24: 436-445. Publisert 2017-10-23. doi: 10.1111/fme.12244
- 2015. Individual habitat transitions of Atlantic herring Clupea harengus in a human-modified coastal system. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 520: 245-256. doi: 10.3354/meps11103
- 2014. Seasonal dynamics of atlantic herring (Clupea harengus L.) populations spawning in the vicinity of marginal habitats. PLOS ONE. 9. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0111985
- 2013. Metapopulation dynamics in Atlantic herring (Clupea harengus L.) along the coast of southern Norway and in the local area of Landvikvannet. 100 sider.
- 2011. Use of otolith microstructure analysis to determine particular hatching periods in order to explain distinct length class peaks of juvenile herring (Clupea harengus). University of Rostock. 40 sider.