- Telefon+47 55 58 85 53+47 977 65 015
- BesøksadresseAlrek helseklynge, blokk D, Årstadveien 17Rom534
- PostadressePostboks 78045020 Bergen
- Spedbarns- og barneernæring
- Forebygging av HIV-smitte fra mor til barn
- Barne- og ungdomspsykiatri
- 2021. Establishing a postgraduate programme in nutritional epidemiology to strengthen resource capacity, academic leadership and research in the democratic republic of Congo. BMC Medical Education. 1-11.
- 2020. “I feel good when I drink”—detecting childhood-onset alcohol abuse and dependence in a Ugandan community trial cohort. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health (CAPMH). 1-8.
- 2020. Translating new evidence into clinical practice: a quasi-experimental controlled before–after study evaluating the effect of a novel outreach mentoring approach on knowledge, attitudes and confidence of health workers providing HIV and infant feeding counselling in South Africa. BMJ Open. 13 sider.
- 2020. Caries experience and oral health related quality of life in a cohort of Ugandan HIV-1 exposed uninfected children compared with a matched cohort of HIV unexposed uninfected children. BMC Public Health. 1-12.
- 2020. Breastfeeding advice for reality: Women's perspectives on primary care support in South Africa. Maternal & Child Nutrition. 1-10.
- 2020. Association of maternal HIV‐1 severity with dental caries: an observational study of uninfected 5‐ to 7‐yr‐old children of HIV‐1‐infected mothers without severe immune suppression. European Journal of Oral Sciences. 46-54.
- 2020. Are we doing enough? Improved breastfeeding practices at 14 weeks but challenges of non-initiation and early cessation of breastfeeding remain: Findings of two consecutive cross-sectional surveys in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. BMC Public Health. 1-12.
- 2020. Are pre-adolescent children drinking alcohol? Studies on child alcohol use disorder in Eastern Uganda. World Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
- 2020. Antiretroviral treatment and its impact on oral health outcomes in 5 to 7 year old Ugandan children: A 6 year follow-up visit from the ANRS 12174 randomized trial. Medicine. 1-8.
- 2020. "It means so much for me to have a choice": A qualitative study providing first-person perspectives on medication-free treatment in mental health care. BMC Psychiatry. 1-11.
- 2020. "If I have money, I cannot allow my baby to breastfeed only …" barriers and facilitators to scale-up of peer counselling for exclusive breastfeeding in Uganda. International Breastfeeding Journal. 12 sider.
- 2020. Efficacy of processed amaranth-containing bread compared to maize bread on hemoglobin, anemia and iron deficiency anemia prevalence among two-to-five year-old anemic children in Southern Ethiopia: A cluster randomized controlled trial. PLOS ONE. 16 sider.
- 2019. The Efficacy of processed amaranth on anemia prevalence and hemoglobin level in preschool children in South Ethiopia: A randomised controlled trial Poster380 ECTMIH 2019. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
- 2019. Lopinavir-Ritonavir Impairs Adrenal Function in Infants. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 1-10.
- 2019. Growth in HIV-1-exposed but uninfected infants treated with lopinavir?ritonavir versus lamivudine: a secondary analysis of the ANRS 12174 trial. The Lancet HIV. e307-e314.
- 2019. Effects of complementary feeding on attained height among lower primary school-aged children in Eastern Uganda: A nested prospective cohort study. PLOS ONE. 1-17.
- 2019. Child mental illness and the help-seeking process: a qualitative study among parents in a Ugandan community. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health (CAPMH). 1-13.
- 2019. Breastfeeding advice for reality: Women's perspectives on primary care support in South Africa. Maternal & Child Nutrition. 1-10.
- 2019. An educational intervention to update health workers about HIV and infant feeding. Maternal & Child Nutrition. 1-10.
- 2018. Improved rates of exclusive breastfeeding at 14 weeks of age in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa: What are the challenges now? BMC Public Health. 11 sider.
- 2018. HIV-1 disease progression in immune-competent HIV-1-infected and breastfeeding mothers participating in the ANRS 12174 clinical trial in Burkina Faso, South Africa, Uganda and Zambia: a cohort study. BMJ Open. e019239.
- 2018. Exclusive breastfeeding promotion and neuropsychological outcomes in 5-8 year old children from Uganda and Burkina Faso: Results from the PROMISE EBF cluster randomized trial. PLOS ONE. 1-17.
- 2018. Effects of schooling on aspects of attention in rural Burkina Faso, West Africa. PLOS ONE.
- 2018. Does mhGAP training of primary health care providers improve the identification of child- and adolescent mental, neurological or substance use disorders? Results from a randomized controlled trial in Uganda. Global Mental Health (GMH). e29.
- 2018. Association between stunting and neuro-psychological outcomes among children in Burkina Faso, West Africa. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health (CAPMH).
- 2018. "We are like co-wives": Traditional healers' views on collaborating with the formal Child and Adolescent Mental Health System in Uganda. BMC Health Services Research. 1-9.
- 2017. Nutrition – A global challenge for health. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening.
- 2017. Maternal alcohol consumption during pregnancy and child's cognitive performance at 6-8 years of age in rural Burkina Faso: An observational study. PeerJ.
- 2017. In Utero ART Exposure and Birth and Early Growth Outcomes Among HIV-Exposed Uninfected Infants Attending Immunization Services: Results From National PMTCT Surveillance, South Africa. Open Forum Infectious Diseases. 10 sider.
- 2017. Does child and adolescent mental health in-service training result in equivalent knowledge gain among cadres of non-specialist health workers in Uganda? A pre-test post-test study. International Journal of Mental Health Systems. 1-9.
- 2017. Changes in body mass index and hemoglobin concentration in breastfeeding women living with HIV with a CD4 count over 350: Results from 4 African countries (The ANRS 12174 trial). PLOS ONE.
- 2017. Breastfeeding patterns and its determinants among mothers living with Human Immuno-deficiency Virus -1 in four African countries participating in the ANRS 12174 trial. International Breastfeeding Journal.
- 2016. Impact of a peer-counseling intervention on breastfeeding practices in different socioeconomic strata: results from the equity analysis of the PROMISE-EBF trial in Uganda. Global health action.
- 2016. Extended pre-exposure prophylaxis with lopinavir-ritonavir versus lamivudine to prevent HIV-1 transmission through breastfeeding up to 50 weeks in infants in Africa (ANRS 12174): a randomised controlled trial. The Lancet. 566-573.
- 2016. Effects of an exclusive breastfeeding intervention for six months on growth patterns of 4-5 year old children in Uganda: The cluster-randomised PROMISE EBF trial. BMC Public Health. 9 sider.
- 2016. An ISBD perspective on the sociocultural challenges of managing bipolar disorder: A content analysis. Australian and New Zealand journal of psychiatry (Print). 1096-1103.
- 2015. Health managers' views on the status of national and decentralized health systems for child and adolescent mental health in Uganda: A qualitative study. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health (CAPMH).
- 2015. Effects of early feeding on growth velocity and overweight/obesity in a cohort of HIV unexposed South African infants and children. International Breastfeeding Journal.
- 2015. Cost-effectiveness of peer counselling for the promotion of exclusive breastfeeding in Uganda. PLOS ONE. 18 sider.
- 2014. Urban settings do not ensure access to services: findings from the immunisation programme in Kampala Uganda. BMC Health Services Research. 12 sider.
- 2014. Severe events in the first 6 months of life in a cohort of HIV-unexposed infants from South Africa: effects of low birthweight and breastfeeding status. Tropical medicine & international health.
- 2014. Growth effects of exclusive breastfeeding promotion by peer counsellors in sub-Saharan Africa: the cluster-randomised PROMISE EBF trial. BMC Public Health. 12 sider.
- 2014. Early infant feeding practices in three African countries: the PROMISE-EBF trial promoting exclusive breastfeeding by peer counsellors. International Breastfeeding Journal. 19.
- 2013. Infant feeding survival and Markov transition probabilities among children under age 6 months in Uganda. American Journal of Epidemiology. 453-462.
- 2012. Timeliness of childhood vaccinations in Kampala Uganda: a community-based cross-sectional study. PLOS ONE. 6 sider.
- 2012. Early cessation of breastfeeding amongst women in South Africa: an area needing urgent attention to improve child health. BMC Pediatrics. 10 sider.
- 2011. Vaccination coverage and timeliness in three South African areas: a prospective study. BMC Public Health. 11 sider.
- 2011. The potential role of mother-in-law in prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV: a mixed methods study from the Kilimanjaro region, northern Tanzania. BMC Public Health. 12 sider.
- 2011. More support for mothers: a qualitative study on factors affecting immunisation behaviour in Kampala, Uganda. BMC Public Health. 11 sider.
- 2011. Malaria Parasitaemia among Infants and Its Association with Breastfeeding Peer Counselling and Vitamin A Supplementation: A Secondary Analysis of a Cluster Randomized Trial. PLOS ONE. 8 sider.
- 2011. Is vaccination coverage a good indicator of age-appropriate vaccination? A prospective study from Uganda. Vaccine. 3564-3570.
- 2011. Exclusive breastfeeding promotion by peer counsellors in sub-Saharan Africa (PROMISE-EBF): a cluster-randomised trial. The Lancet. 420-427.
- 2011. "It is her responsibility": partner involvement in prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV programmes, northern Tanzania. Journal of the International AIDS Society. 12 sider.
- 2010. Mothers’ knowledge and utilization of prevention of mother to child transmission services in northern Tanzania. Journal of the International AIDS Society. 15 sider.
- 2010. Mothers' knowledge and utilization of prevention of mother to child transmission services in northern Tanzania. Journal of the International AIDS Society.
- 2010. Infant feeding modalities addressed in two different ways in Eastern Uganda. International Breastfeeding Journal. 2.
- 2010. Infant feeding counselling in Uganda in a changing environment with focus on the general population and HIV-positive mothers - a mixed method approach. BMC Health Services Research. 9 sider.
- 2010. Gendered perceptions on infant feeding in Eastern Uganda: continued need for exclusive breastfeeding support. International Breastfeeding Journal. 13.
- 2009. Socio-demographic factors related to periodontal status and tooth loss of pregnant women in Mbale district, Uganda. BMC Oral Health.
- 2009. Periodontal status, tooth loss and self-reported periodontal problems efefcts on oral impacts on daily performances, OIDP, in pregnant women in Uganda: a cross-sectional study. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes.
- 2009. Need to optimise infant feeding counselling: A cross-sectional survey among HIV-positive mothers in Eastern Uganda. BMC Pediatrics.
- 2009. Infant feeding among HIV-positive mothers and the general population mothers: comparison of two cross-sectional surveys in Eastern Uganda. BMC Public Health. 14 sider.
- 2009. Factors associated with caregivers' perception of children's health and oral health status: a study of 6-to 36-month-olds in Uganda. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry. 251-262.
- 2008. Determinants of infant growth in Eastern Uganda: a community-based cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health.
- 2007. Low adherence to exclusive breastfeeding in Eastern Uganda: A community-based cross-sectional study comparing dietary recall since birth with 24-hour recall. BMC Pediatrics. 10.
- 2019. «Deprived childhood? TREAT Child Alcohol Use Disorder (C-AUD) in Eastern Uganda».
- 2019. TREAT; Child alcoholism in Eastern Uganda: Screening, diagnostics, risk factors and handling of children drinking alcohol in Uganda, NORAD seminar.
- 2019. TREAT Child Alcohol Use Disorder (C-AUD) in Eastern Uganda: Screening, diagnostics, risk factors and handling of children drinking alcohol.
- 2019. Experience from long-term follow-up of RCT participants: Growth in PROMISE babies.
- 2018. Hvorfor og hvordan skal vi forske i feltet 'global mental helse,' eksempler fra 'Global Mental Health Research Group' i Bergen.
- 2017. Global ernæring.
- 2017. "The decade of nutrition and global focus areas".
- 2016. How to do sustainable nutrition interventions in sub-Saharan Africa?
- 2016. Global mental health research and services in Norway: Status for children Opportunities for collaboration.
- 2016. Cultural and lifestyle challenges during internal migration.
- 2015. Testing of neuro-development in Africa, experiences from Burkina Faso and Uganda.
- 2015. How, what and why do field research in low-income countries.
- 2018. Understanding the role of nutrition in child development.
- 2018. Prioritising research to attain SDG Goal 3.4: Health: Non-communicable diseases: By 2030, reduce by one third premature mortality from non-communicable diseases through prevention and treatment and promote mental health and well-being .
- 2017. Studies of child mental health in Mbale, Eastern Uganda: Research and programmatic perspectives.
- 2016. Food for though.
- 2011. TImeliness ofChild Vacdnations inKampala Uganda.
- 2010. Exclusive breastfeeding promotion by peer-counsellors in Sub-Saharan Africa: Results from the multi-centre cluster-randomised behaviour intervention trial PROMISE EBF.
- 2009. Preliminary results from the multi-centre cluster-randomised behaviour intervention trial PROMISE EBF: breastfeeding promotion in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- 2009. Clinical and self reported periodontal problems of pregnant women in Uganda.
- 2007. The WHO Child Growth Standards compared to the old NCHS/WHO reference in a Ugandan infant population.
- 2007. Infant feeding practices in Eastern Uganda in the light of current WHO recommendations and prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1.
- 2005. Piloting a software for handheld computers for improved quality in nutrition research and programs in low-income countries.
- 2015. Brenner for global helseforskning "Derfor er jeg lege". Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 719.
- 2017. Correction to: Effects of early feeding on growth velocity and overweight/obesity in a cohort of HIV unexposed South African infants and children. International Breastfeeding Journal. 1 sider.
- 2013. Nutrition of Infants and HIV in Nutrition in Infancy. Springer.
- 2011. Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices addressing young child diarrhoea in Moramanga, Madagascar: The MOSAIQUE cross cultural qualitative study.
- 2020. Mer mat alene løser ikke sultproblemet. Bergens Tidende.
- 2020. Klimatiltak vil gjøre oss sunnere. Bergens Tidende.
- 2020. Bioteknologiloven og legers holdninger. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening.
- 2019. Breastfeeding patterns and mothers’health in an HIV context in Sub Saharan Africa.
- 2018. Access to Child and Adolescent Mental Health services in Uganda: Investigating the role of Primary Health Care and Traditional Healers.
- 2017. Growth of HIV-exposed and HIV–unexposed children in South Africa. Anthropometric nutritional status and growth rates.
- 2009. Feeding and growth of infants in Eastern Uganda. Methodological challenges and associated factors.
- 2015. Nedprioritert forskning. Bærekraft: Forskning og høyere utdanning er en klok måte å investere i den globale framtiden på.
- 2014. Selvmord tar flest liv blant jenter.
- 2013. Interpretation of Findings. 35 sider.
- 2020. Dietary Diversity and Nutritional Status of Children Aged 6 to 24 Months in Rural Sidama, Southern Ethiopia. Current Developments in Nutrition (CDN). 533-533.
- 2013. EARLY INFANT FEEDING PRACTICES IN THE PROMISE-EBF TRIAL: PROMOTION OF EXCLUSIVE BREASTFEEDING BY PEER COUNSELLORS IN THREE COUNTRIES IN AFRICA. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 709-709.
- 2011. Timeliness of child vaccinations in Kampala, Uganda. Tropical medicine & international health. 308-308.
- 2011. Prevalence of malaria parasitaemia among infants in Uganda and its association with breastfeeding, peer counselling and vitamin a supplementation. Tropical medicine & international health. 97-97.
- 2009. Preliminary results from the multi-centre cluster-randomised behaviour intervention trial PROMISE EBF: breastfeeding promotion in Sub-Saharan Africa. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 99-99.
- 2009. Fathers’ and mothers’ perceptions about infant feeding practices in Eastern Uganda. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 233-233.
- 2009. FATHERS' AND MOTHERS' PERCEPTIONS ABOUT INFANT FEEDING PRACTICES IN EASTERN UGANDA. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 625-626.
- 2009. ADVISING GLOBAL INFANT FEEDING RECOMMENDATIONS WITH LOCAL INSIGHT: HEALTH WORKERS KNOWLEDGE OF INFANT FEEDING PRACTICES IN EASTERN UGANDA. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 233-233.
- 2009. 'No new born feeds on breast milk only:' Infant feeding perceptions among men and women in Eastern Uganda. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 18-18.
- 2020. Early Childhood Alcohol Use in Mbale District, Uganda: A Qualitative Study.
- 2019. THE EFFICACY OF PROCESSED AMARANTH ON ANEMIA PREVALENCE AND HEMOGLOBIN LEVEL IN PRESCHOOL CHILDREN IN SOUTH ETHIOPIA: A RANDOMISED CONTROLLED TRIAL.
- 2019. Predicting parents’ adherence to malaria prophylaxis: a multivariable prediction model for caregivers’ adherence to post-discharge malaria chemoprophylaxis for children in Malawi .
- 2019. Oral Health in Ugandan HIV exposed and unexposed uninfected children.
- 2016. Socio- Cultural Challenges in the Management of Bipolar Disorder: A Trans- Cultural qualitative Study by the International Society of Bipolar Disorders (ISBD).
- 2016. Repeated reports on persistent problems: An available literature synthesis on undernutrition in the semi-arid Karamoja Region of North Eastern Uganda.
- 2016. Differential learning outcomes among health cadres from Child and Adolescent Mental Health training in Uganda.
- 2015. Too many drinking too much too early? Alcohol use in middle childhood among Ugandan children.
- 2015. Status of child and adolescent mental health services in Mbale, Uganda. Preliminary results from SeeTheChild – mental child health in Uganda.
- 2015. Infant feeding practices among HIV positive mothers in 4 African countries in the ANRS 12174 trial.
- 2015. Health managers’ views on the status of national and decentralized health systems for Child and Adolescent Mental Health in Uganda: A qualitative study.
- 2015. Are mental health problems in children being neglected? Preliminary results from SeeTheChild – Mental Child Health in Uganda.
- 2013. Peer support for breastfeeding and child mental health in Uganda - the Promise Saving Brains (SB) trial.
- 2013. Hospitalisation and death events in a cohort of infant from South Africa: Effects of low birth weight and breastfeeding status.
- 2013. Barriers to immunisation service delivery in Kampala Uganda: A mixed methods study.
- 2012. Promotion of exclusive breastfeeding by peer-counsellors in Sub-Saharan Africa: Anthropometric outcomes from the cluster randomised PROMISE EBF TRIAL.
- 2012. Is promotion of exclusive breastfeeding safe in sub-Saharan Africa with respect to child growth? Results form the cluster-randomised PROMISE EBF-trial.
- 2011. Timeliness of child vaccinations in Kampala, Uganda.
- 2011. Timeliness of Childhood immunizations in Kampala Uganda.
- 2009. ‘No new born feeds on breast milk only’: Infant feeding perceptions among men and women in Eastern Uganda.
- 2009. Low acceptability for exclusive replacement feeding among Eastern Ugandan fathers.
- 2009. Fathers’ and mothers’ perceptions about infant feeding practices in Eastern Uganda.
- 2009. Advicing global infant feeding recommendations with local insight’: health workers knowledge of infant feeding practices in Eastern Uganda.
- 2008. Factors associated with wasting and stunting among Ugandan Infants.
- 2008. Comparing infant feeding practices among Ugandan infants with a prospective and retrospective study design: weekly one-week infant feeding recalls versus since-birth recalls at 12 weeks of age.
- 2008. Caretaker's perception of infants' oral health in Uganda.
- 2007. Ugandan infants grow better if exclusively breastfed early in life.
- 2007. Socio-Economic Status predicts anthropometric status in a Ugandan infant population.
- 2005. Exclusive breastfeeding rates are low in Eastern Uganda, irrespective of background characteristics.
- 2005. Cultural obstacles to exclusive breastfeeding in Eastern Uganda: Experiences and Attitudes.
- 2004. Rates of exclusive breastfeeding since birth in Uganda.
- 2017. Erratum: Effects of early feeding on growth velocity and overweight/obesity in a cohort of HIV unexposed South African infants and children. [Int Breastfeed J., 10, (2015), (14)] DOI: 10.1186/s13006-015-0041-x. International Breastfeeding Journal. 1-1.
- 2018. Development and challenges to breastfeeding in sub-Saharan Africa. Bundesgesundheitsblatt - Gesundheitsforschung - Gesundheitsschutz. 937-944.
- 2010. Hiv, amming og antiretrovirale medisiner. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 520-522.
- 2020. Mer mat alene løser ikke sultproblemet Ernæring handler også om atferd, fordeling og sosiale relasjoner.
- 2015. Global mental health research group.
- 2009. Det vil være mat nok til alle.
- 2016: Professor CIH, IGS, UiB
- CIH: Young scientist grant, Globvac, RCN: SeeTheChild, mental child health in Uganda
- Spesialisering i barne- og ungdomspsykiatri Helse Bergen, 2011-2013
- Post. doc. CIH, UiB og School of Publich Health, University of Western Cape 2009-2011
- PhD, Medisinsk og odontologisk faklutet, UiB (2009)
Avhandlingens tittel: 'Feeding and growth of infants in Eastern Uganda: Methodological challenges and associated factors' https://www.uib.no/cih/disputas/2009/09/ingunn-marie-s.-engebretsen
- Lege (2007)
- Cand. Med. UiB (2003)
- Cand. Mag. Historisk-Filosofisk Fakultet, Universitetet i Oslo (1997)