Monica Patrascu, ing, tok en doktorgrad i systemteknikk og en MSc i intelligente systemer fra University Politehnica i Bucuresti, Romania. De er koordinator for Complex Systems Laboratory (xLab) ved University Politehnica i Bucuresti, og jobber med komplekse og intelligente systemer. Patrascu er postdoktor ved Senter for eldre og sykehjemsmedisin (SEFAS) ved Universitetet i Bergen, Norge, og jobber med modellering komplekse biosystemer. Tilknyttet Neuro-SysMed utvikler Patrascu digitale biomarkører for symptomsporing i eldre voksnes hverdag hos personer med demens, i livets slutt og med Parkinsons sykdom.
Dr. Patrascus viktigste bidrag er innen intelligente systemer og kontrollteknikk, spesielt innen evolusjonær databehandling, fuzzy kontrollere og intelligente agenter, samt multi-agent systemer med applikasjoner i en rekke domener. Etter utdanningen har de spesialisert seg på forskning i skjæringspunktet mellom intelligente systemer og reguleringsteknikk. Dette tverrfaglige området er godt forankret under systemteknikk, og krever tenkning utenfor boksen når det gjelder å kombinere de iboende heuristikkene til kunstig intelligens med de strenge kravene til kontroll og systemteori, spesielt når man arbeider med virkelige applikasjoner. I denne forbindelse har en av de mest interessante utfordringene de måtte møte vært å overføre kunnskap mellom forskningsområder, i møte med heterogen terminologi for tverrfaglig forskning. I medisinsk forskning, bruker Dr. Patrascu teknikker avledet fra systemdynamikk og kunstig intelligens i avansert signalbehandling av sensordata og for å modellere ikke-lineære og biologiske prosesser knyttet til menneskekroppen og komplekse kroniske tilstander.
Invited talks and presentations
2023 Invited talk, SFWA Nebula Conference, Anaheim, Canada, Panel on "Writing a Moving Target: AI for the Bewildered" (as A. Kelly)
2023 Invited talk, Seminar in Engineering Computing, Western Norway University of Applied Sciences, Bergen, Norway, "Position control with evolutionary learning for wheeled vehicles"
2022 Invited talk, UiB AI Seminar #4 Examples of Medical AI, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway, "AI in Dementia Research"
2022 Invited talk, Logic & AI Seminar, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway, "How we made a crowd with a brain - creating behaviors at MAS system level by specifying only local agent behaviors"
2022 Invited talk, Indo-Norway Webinar on Digital Ethics: Ethical Issues of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare, "Developing Accountable and Sustainable AI Systems"
2021 Presentation, CDC 2021: Conference on Decision and Control, Austin, Texas, USA, "Robust Position Control for High Slip Risk TricycleRobots with Real-coded Genetic Algorithms"
2021 Invited talk, InnoRes: Innovation Seminar at IGS, University of Bergen, Norway, "Ageing-in-the-loop"
2021 Presentation, ECC 2021: European Control Conference, Delft, Netherlands, "Design of Stabilizing Predictor-based Controller for Closed Loop Traffic Control with Real-Coded Genetic Algorithms"
2011 Presentation, ICAPAI 2021: International Conference on Applied Artificial Intelligence, Halden, Norway, "Smith Predictor Approximation for Industrial Control Applications with Genetic Algorithms"
2019 Invited Talk, FNSSPRI 2019, Forum on Smart State, Romanian Senate, Bucharest, Romania, The Future of (Smart) Work Panel, "Smart Intelligence sau Inteligenta Desteapta"
2018 Presentation, 17th RoEduNet Conference: Networking in Education and Research, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, "Plug-and-play Self-configuration and Integration in Swarm Robotics"
2017 Presentation, 16th RoEduNet Conference: Networking in Education and Research, Targu Mures, Romania, "Encoder-based Path Tracking with Adaptive Cascaded Control for a Three Omni-wheel Robot"
2017 Presentation, EAIS 2017: IEEE Conf. on Evolving and Adaptive Intelligent Systems, Ljubljana, Slovenia, "An Immune Evolution Mechanism for the Study of Stress Factors in Supervised and Controlled Systems"
2017 Presentation, ITST 2017: 15th International Conference on ITS Telecomunications, Warsaw, Poland, "Route Encoding in Evolutionary Control Systems for Emergency Vehicles"
2016 Presentation, EUROSIM 2016: 9th EUROSIM Congress on Modelling and Simulation, Oulu, Finland, "Controlling Emergency Vehicles in Urban Traffic with Genetic Algorithms"
2014 Presentation, ICSTCC 2014: 18th Intl. Conf. on Systems Theory, Control and Computing, Sinaia, Romania, "Emergent Intelligence in Agents: a Scalable Architecture for Smart Cities"
2014 Presentation, ICSTCC 2014: 18th Intl. Conf. on Systems Theory, Control and Computing, Sinaia, Romania, "Real Time Agent Based Simulation for Smart City Emergency Protocols"
2012 Presentation, UNITE 2nd Doctoral Symposium, Sofia, Bulgaria, "Service Orientation for Intelligent Building Management: an IoT and IoS Perspective"
2011 Presentation, 2012 UKACC International Conference on Control, Cardiff, UK, "Hybrid Geno-Fuzzy Controller For Seismic Vibration Control"
2009 Presentation, 17th Intl. Conference on Control Systems and Computer Science, "Fuzzy control strategies for magnetorheological dampers"
Awards and recognition of research and professional activities
2022 Session chair, EUMAS 2022: 19th European Conference on Multi-Agent Systems, Dusseldorf, Germany
2021 Session chair, MoA17 Control Applications I, CDC 2021: Conference on Decision and Control, Austin, Texas, USA
2021 Session chair, WeA01 Transportation and Traffic Control, ECC 2021: European Control Conference, Delft, Netherlands
2020 Five-Year Merit Award for professional excellence at the Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, Faculty of Automatic Control and Computers, University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania (UPB)
2017 Award for Research Results (scientific articles) offered by the Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation Funding (UEFISCDI)
2017 Elevation to the grade of IEEE Senior Member
2015 Five-Year Merit Award for professional excellence at the Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, Faculty of Automatic Control and Computers, University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania (UPB)
2015 Two Awards for Research Results (scientific articles) offered by the Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation Funding (UEFISCDI)
2011 Session co-chair, ThC09 Evolutionary Algorithms, IFAC 2011: 18th World Congress, Milano, Italy
2007 Award, 3rd place at the Student Scientific Communications Session, Faculty of Automatic Control and Computers, University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania (UPB)
2006 Award, 1st place at the Student Scientific Communications Session, Faculty of Automatic Control and Computers, University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania (UPB)
Outreach, organisation and management
2018-2019 Coordinator of the Workshop series "InGear for the Future" (Complex Systems Laboratory, University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania) bringing together alumni and students for professional advice and guidance.
2016-2021 Development and organization of a master program in Complex Systems (in English) at the Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania (UPB).
2012-2021 Coordinator of two education awareness advertising campaigns at the Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, for bachelor and master studies, which include conceptual planning, live presentations, graphics and other materials (posters, banners, brochures, flyers); the campaigns are ongoing and have been designed to popularize the field of Systems Engineering among students.
2012-2021 Implementing department and faculty recognition through branding techniques (posters, flyers, photoshoots, brochures, business cards, tags and personalized department paraphernalia, book covers).
2008-2015 Organization/committee member for various conferences and workshops: CSCS-20 (20th International Conference on Control Systems and Computer Science), CSCS-19, IWoCPS (International Workshop on Cyber Physical Systems), IFAC Workshop SWIIS (Supplementary Ways for Improving International Stability), CSCS-17, IESS 1.6 (International Conference on Exploring Service Science).
Supervision: 7 PhD candidates (2 finalized), 21 Master students, 39 Bachelor dissertations
Lectures (bachelor and master): Control Systems Engineering, Complex Systems Automation, Introduction to Complex Systems (in English), Control Systems in Robotics, Artificial Intelligence.
Individualized Lectures (doctoral studies): Self-organizing systems, Multi-agent systems, Complex Systems.
Laboratory Practice and Seminars: Control Systems Engineering, Complex Systems Automation, Control Systems in Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Modelling and Simulation, Intelligent Control Systems, Basics of Automated Systems.
Founder of the Master Program in Complex Systems, University Politehnica of Bucharest (in English); Administrator and Member of the Research Advisory Committees.
Institutional Responsibilities (selected): Member of Research Advisory Committees for Doctoral Studies, Graduate Student Advisor (Masters dissertation) and Member of the Master Dissertation Examination Committee; Member of the Bachelor Thesis Examination Committee; Undergraduate Student Advisor (Bachelor dissertation); Laboratory manager (LIRA); Coordinator of summer practice stages for 3rd years.
- (2023). Stability Analysis for Single-Lane Traffic with a Relay Controller in a Closed Loop. Electronics.
- (2022). Understanding pain and agitation through system analysis algorithms in people with dementia. A novel explorative approach by the DIGI.PAIN study. Frontiers in Pain Research.
- (2022). Predictive Agent-Based Crowd Model Design Using Decentralized Control Systems. IEEE Systems Journal. 1383-1394.
- (2022). Engineering Emergence: A Survey on Control in the World of Complex Networks. Automation.
- (2022). Digital phenotyping by wearable-driven artificial intelligence in older adults and people with Parkinson's disease: Protocol of the mixed method, cyclic ActiveAgeing study. PLOS ONE. 1-19.
- (2022). Initial Conditions Sensitivity Analysis of a Two-Species Butterfly-Effect Agent-Based Model. 19 sider.
- (2021). Smith Predictor Approximation for Industrial Control Applications with Genetic Algorithms.
- (2021). Robust Position Control for High Slip Risk Tricycle Robots with Real-coded Genetic Algorithms. IEEE Conference on Decision and Control. Proceedings.
- (2021). Deterministic matrix-based radiative design using a new general formulation of exergy and exergy efficiency for hybrid solar collectors. Applied Thermal Engineering.
- (2021). Design of Stabilizing Predictor-based Controller for Closed Loop Traffic Control with Real-Coded Genetic Algorithms.
- (2020). Performance Analysis of Genetic Algorithms for Route Computation Applied to Emergency Vehicles in Uncertain Traffic. UPB Scientific Bulletin, Series C: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
- (2019). Control System Design for Unicycle Robots Using Genetic Algorithms with Pareto Immunization.
- (2019). AI and Individualized Education in Phys Ed and Sport.
- (2019). A Scalable Algorithm for Self-Organization in Event-Triggered Networked Control Systems.
- (2018). Sisteme de conducere a proceselor cu timp mort (Control systems for time delay processes).
- (2018). Plug-and-play Self-configuration and Integration in Swarm Robotics.
- (2018). On the design and optimization of constructal networks of heat exchangers by considering entropy generation minimization and thermoeconomics. Proceedings of the Romanian Academy. Series A Mathematics, Physics, Technical Sciences, Information Science.
- (2018). Modeling air leakage in buildings caused by the cyclic variation of the atmospheric pressure. Building Services Engineering Research & Technology.
- (2018). Mobile Robot Control Systems (Sisteme de Conducere pentru Roboti Mobili). Editura Politehnica.
- (2018). Design of Semi-Active Seismic Vibration Controllers Using Fuzzy Logic and Evolutionary Optimization.
- (2018). Controlling Emergency Vehicles in Urban Traffic with Genetic Algorithms.
- (2017). Self-Adaptation in Genetic Algorithms for Control Engineering: The Case of Time Delay Systems.
- (2017). Route encoding in evolutionary control systems for emergency vehicles.
- (2017). Encoder-based path tracking with adaptive cascaded control for a three omni-wheel robot.
- (2017). Consideration of a new extended power law of air infiltration through the building’s envelope providing estimations of the leakage area. Energy and Buildings.
- (2017). An immune evolution mechanism for the study of stress factors in supervised and controlled systems.
- (2017). Agent Based Modelling of Smart Structures: The Challenges of a New Research Domain.
- (2017). A geno-neural approach to data fusion for fixed infrared sensor arrays.
- (2016). MOTION-AE: an Intelligent Mobile Application for Aerobic Endurance Training. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence.
- (2016). Evolutionary Modeling of Industrial Plants and Design of PID Controllers.
- (2016). Development of a data acquisition and command board for the control of a didactic 3D crane system.
- (2016). Applying Agent Based Simulation to the Design of Traffic Control Systems with Respect to Real-World Urban Complexity.
- (2016). A Scalable Agent Based Model for Building Security Simulation. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence.
- (2015). Value Co-Creation In A Virtual Smart Building Service Enterprise For Energy Efficiency And Economic Sustainability. Environmental Engineering and Management Journal.
- (2015). Three omni-wheel ballbot optimum implementation.
- (2015). Self-organising socio-technical description in service systems for supporting smart user decisions in public transport. Expert Systems With Applications.
- (2015). Intelligent decision making tool for aiding the setting of optimal intensity in aerobic endurance training. Studia Universitatis Babes-Bolyai, Educatio Artis Gymnasticae.
- (2015). Genetic decision mechanism for reasoning and behaviour generation in adaptive intelligent agents.
- (2015). Controlul vibratiilor seismice cu amortizoare semi-active (Seismic Vibration Control with Semi-Active Dampers).
- (2015). An Agent Based Simulation Model Applied to Emergency Vehicles in High Traffic Urban Environments.
- (2015). Agent based simulation applied to the design of control systems for emergency vehicles access.
- (2014). Real time agent based simulation for smart city emergency protocols.
- (2014). Nonlinear fuzzy control of human heart rate during aerobic endurance training with respect to significant model variations.
- (2014). Integrating Agents and Services for Control and Monitoring: Managing Emergencies in Smart Buildings. Studies in Computational Intelligence.
- (2014). HELGA: a heterogeneous encoding lifelike genetic algorithm for population evolution modeling and simulation. Soft Computing - A Fusion of Foundations, Methodologies and Applications.
- (2014). Genetically enhanced modal controller design for seismic vibration in nonlinear multi-damper configuration . Proceedings of the Institution of mechanical engineers. Part I, journal of systems and control engineering.
- (2014). Emergent intelligence in agents: A scalable architecture for smart cities.
- (2013). A Service Oriented Simulation Architecture for Intelligent Building Management. Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing.
- (2012). Hybrid geno-fuzzy controller for seismic vibration control.
- (2012). A hybrid PID-fuzzy control for linear SISO systems with variant communication delays. Advances in Fuzzy Systems.
- (2012). A comparative study for advanced seismic vibration control algorithms. UPB Scientific Bulletin, Series C: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
- (2011). Tuning of PID Controllers for Non-Linear MIMO Systems Using Genetic Algorithms. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
- (2011). Control Engineering: Laboratory Practice (Ingineria Reglării Automate: Îndrumar de laborator). Editura Politehnica.
- (2011). Advanced Control Systems: Laboratory Practice (Sisteme Avansate de Conducere: Îndrumar de laborator). Editura Politehnica.
- (2011). A software tool for modeling and simulation of numerical P systems. Biosystems (Amsterdam. Print).
2021- Digital phenotyping in Parkinson’s disease (DIGI.PARK), Reasearch Council of Norway (RCN), Norway
2014- Evolutionary Computing in Control Engineering (ECCE), Complex Systems Laboratory (xLab), University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania (UPB)
2013- Ballbots, by xLab in collaboration with the Department of Mechatronics, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Mechatronics, University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania (UPB)
2012- Smart Training Systems (RunCoSy & Motion-AE), Complex Systems Laboratory (xLab), University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania (UPB), in collaboration with University Babes-Bolyai, Cluj, Romania
2011- CitySCAPE: Citywide Synergic Control Archit. for Protection during Emergencies, Complex Systems Laboratory (xLab), University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania (UPB)
Past projects (PI)
2016-2017 Evolutionary Algorithms for Intelligent Route Generation for Emergency Vehicles in Urban Traffic (EvoIR) – "Excellence Research Grants", University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania
2016-2018 Cylindrical Robots In a Swarm (CRIS), Complex Systems Laboratory, University Politehnica of Bucharest
2017-2018 Motor Velocity and Torque Control (MoVe), Complex Systems Laboratory, University Politehnica of Bucharest
2016-2017 Genetic Algorithms with Immune Adaptation (GAIA), Complex Systems Laboratory, University Politehnica of Bucharest
2013-2014 A Heterogenous Encoding Lifelike Genetic Algorithm (HELGA), Complex Systems Laboratory, University Politehnica of Bucharest
2006-2017 Structural Seismic Vibration Control (ViCo), Complex Systems Laboratory, University Politehnica of Bucharest
Past projects (team)
2020-2023 Robust trajectory planning for nonlinar incert systems (REPLAN), Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation Funding (UEFISCDI), Romania
2018-2019 Control of Complex Systems using Dimension Reduction (RSCTRD), ARUT, Romania
2010-2013 Strategic program to promote innovation in services through open, continuous education (INSEED), European Social Fund for Romania
2008-2011 Development of bio-inspired cognitive architectures, Romania, Exploratory Research
2005-2006 Autonomous advanced systems for the control of structural oscillations, with University of Civil Engineering, Bucharest, Romania.