- Telefon+47 996 74 046
- BesøksadresseHaukeland UniversitetssjukehusLaboratoriebygget5020 BergenRom9. etasje
- PostadressePostboks 78045020 Bergen
Jeg er gruppeleder for forskningsgruppen BRuSH ved Klinisk Institutt 2 ved Universitetet i Bergen. Min faglige bakgrunn er fra evolusjonærbiologi og økologi (hovedfag fra UiB) og miljømedisin og epidemiologi (doktorgrad fra Universitetet i Oslo). I 2010 ble jeg tildelt Voksentoppens Forskningspris innen pediatrisk allergologi og lungemedisin og i 2018 Kronprins Haakons forskningspris for astma og allergi.
Min forskning har fokus på miljøeksponering, mikrobiom, astma og allergi. I Unge Forskertalent-prosjektet (Norges Forskningsråd) var måle å undersøke eksponering for antibakterielle kjemikalier, bakterier i munnhule og lungehelse.
Nå videreføres dette i to 5-årige forskningsprosjekter gjennom Norges forskningsråds BedreHelse-programmet (2018-2023) og det Europeiske forskningsrådet (ERC Starting Grant BRuSH) (2019-2023). Vi undersøker hvordan bakterier med lipid A komponenter som fører til høy grad av inflammasjon påvirker lungehelse og sykdom over tid.
- (2023). Changes in Infection Prevention Practices and Occurrence of Skin Symptoms among Healthcare Workers, Cleaners and Day-care Workers in Norway during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Acta Dermato-Venereologica.
- (2022). The effect of farming environment on asthma; time dependent or universal? European Journal of Epidemiology (EJE). 779-788.
- (2022). Premature menopause and autoimmune primary ovarian insufficiency in two international multi-center cohorts. Endocrine Connections. 11 sider.
- (2022). Parental TB associated with offspring asthma and rhinitis. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 544-549.
- (2022). Lifelong exposure to residential greenspace and the premenstrual syndrome: A population-based study of Northern European women. Environment International. 7 sider.
- (2022). Exposure to Antibacterial Chemicals Is Associated With Altered Composition of Oral Microbiome. Frontiers in Microbiology. 15 sider.
- (2022). Cow Farmers’ Homes Host More Diverse Airborne Bacterial Communities Than Pig Farmers’ Homes and Suburban Homes. Frontiers in Microbiology.
- (2022). Cohort profile: the multigeneration Respiratory Health in Northern Europe, Spain and Australia (RHINESSA) cohort. BMJ Open. 18 sider.
- (2022). Association of oral bacteria with oral hygiene habits and self-reported gingival bleeding. Journal of Clinical Periodontology. 768-781.
- (2022). Ascaris exposure and its association with lung function, asthma, and DNA methylation in Northern Europe. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 1960-1969.
- (2021). Prenatal and prepubertal exposures to tobacco smoke in men may cause lower lung function in future offspring: a three-generation study using a causal modelling approach. European Respiratory Journal.
- (2021). Physical activity in pregnancy: a Norwegian-Swedish mother-child birth cohort study. AJOG Global Reports. 10 sider.
- (2021). Maternal preconception occupational exposure to cleaning products and disinfectants and offspring asthma. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 422-431.
- (2021). Lifelong exposure to air pollution and greenness in relation to asthma, rhinitis and lung function in adulthood. Environment International. 10 sider.
- (2021). Exposure to environmental phenols and parabens, and relation to body mass index, eczema and respiratory outcomes in the Norwegian RHINESSA study. Environmental health.
- (2021). A prospective study on the role of smoking, environmental tobacco smoke, indoor painting and living in old or new buildings on asthma, rhinitis and respiratory symptoms. Environmental Research. 1-10.
- (2020). Parents’ smoking onset before conception as related to body mass index and fat mass in adult offspring: Findings from the RHINESSA generation study. PLOS ONE. 1-20.
- (2020). Parental occupational exposure pre- and post-conception and development of asthma in offspring. International Journal of Epidemiology. 1856-1869.
- (2020). Does parental farm upbringing influence the risk of asthma in offspring? A three-generation study. International Journal of Epidemiology. 1874-1882.
- (2020). Associations of preconception exposure to air pollution and greenness with offspring asthma and hay fever. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). 1-14.
- (2019). Prevalence of allergic sensitization to storage mites in Northern Europe. Clinical and Experimental Allergy.
- (2019). Is atopic sensitization associated with indicators of early vascular ageing in adolescents? PLOS ONE. 1-11.
- (2019). Epigenome-wide association of father's smoking with offspring DNA methylation: A hypothesis-generating study. Environmental Epigenetics. 10 sider.
- (2019). Dampness, mould, onset and remission of adult respiratory symptoms, asthma and rhinitis. European Respiratory Journal.
- (2019). Being overweight in childhood, puberty, or early adulthood: Changing asthma risk in the next generation? Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 1-13.
- (2019). Asthma and selective migration from farming environments in a three-generation cohort study. European Journal of Epidemiology (EJE). 601-609.
- (2019). Agreement of offspring-reported parental smoking status: the RHINESSA generation study. BMC Public Health. 1-9.
- (2018). Zoonotic helminth exposure and risk of allergic diseases: A study of two generations in Norway. Clinical and Experimental Allergy. 66-77.
- (2018). Periodontal Health status and lung function in two Norwegian cohorts. PLOS ONE. 1-15.
- (2018). Cleaning at home and at work in relation to lung function decline and airway obstruction. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 1157-1163.
- (2018). Agreement in reporting of asthma by parents or offspring - the RHINESSA generation study. BMC Pulmonary Medicine. 1-10.
- (2018). A three-generation study on the association of tobacco smoking with asthma. International Journal of Epidemiology. 1106-1117.
- (2017). Validation of maternal reported pregnancy and birth characteristics against the Medical Birth Registry of Norway. PLOS ONE. 1-12.
- (2017). Prevalence of, and work-related risk factors for, hand eczema in a Norwegian general population (The HUNT Study). Contact Dermatitis. 214-223.
- (2017). Clinical markers of asthma and IgE assessed in parents before conception predict asthma and hayfever in the offspring. Clinical and Experimental Allergy. 627-638.
- (2017). Building dampness and mold in European homes in relation to climate, building characteristics and socio-economic status: The European Community Respiratory Health Survey ECRHS II. Indoor Air: International Journal of Indoor Environment and Health. 921-932.
- (2016). Validation of self-reported figural drawing scales against anthropometric measurements in adults. Public Health Nutrition. 1944-1951.
- (2016). Use of probiotics and prebiotics in infant feeding. Baillière's Best Practice & Research : Clinical Gastroenterology. 39-48.
- (2016). The Association of gum bleeding With respiratory Health in a population based study from Northern Europe. PLOS ONE.
- (2016). Self-reported exposure to traffic pollution in relation to daytime sleepiness and habitual snoring: a questionnaire study in seven North-European cities. Sleep Medicine. 93-99.
- (2016). Pulmonary illness as a consequence of occupational exposure to shrimp shell powder. Environmental Research. 491-499.
- (2016). Menopause as a predictor of new-onset asthma: A longitudinal Northern European population study. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 50-57.e6.
- (2016). Father’s environment before conception and asthma risk in his children: a multi-generation analysis of the Respiratory Health In Northern Europe study. International Journal of Epidemiology. 235-245.
- (2015). Respiratory health in cleaners in Northern Europe: Is susceptibility established in early life? PLOS ONE. 13 sider.
- (2015). Measurement of total and free urinary phenol and paraben concentrations over the course of pregnancy: assessing reliability and contamination of specimens in the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study. Environmental Health Perspectives. 705-711.
- (2014). Reliability of triclosan measures in repeated urine samples from Norwegian pregnant women. Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology. 517-521.
- (2014). Probiotic milk consumption in pregnancy and infancy and subsequent childhood allergic diseases. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 165-+.
- (2014). Food allergens in mattress dust in Norwegian homes - a potentially important source of allergen exposure. Clinical and Experimental Allergy. 142-149.
- (2013). Urinary biomarkers for phthalates associated with asthma in Norwegian children. Environmental Health Perspectives. 251-256.
- (2013). Triclosan exposure and allergic sensitization in Norwegian children. Allergy. European Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 84-91.
- (2013). Pulmonary phthalate exposure and asthma - is PPAR a plausible mechanistic link? EXCLI Journal. 733-759.
- (2013). Phthalate Exposure and Allergy in the US Population: Results from NHANES 2005-2006. Environmental Health Perspectives. 1129-1134.
- (2012). Pet keeping and tobacco exposure influence CD14 methylation in childhood. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology. 746-753.
- (2010). Rhinitis in children: Co-morbidities and phenotypes. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology. 612-622.
- (2010). Gender differences in indoor allergen exposure and association with current rhinitis. Clinical and Experimental Allergy. 1388-1397.
- (2010). Do allergic families avoid keeping furry pets? Indoor Air: International Journal of Indoor Environment and Health. 187-195.
- (2010). Childhood asthma and early life exposure to indoor allergens, endotoxin and beta(1,3)-glucans. Clinical and Experimental Allergy. 307-316.
- (2007). Modeling the intra-urban variability of outdoor traffic pollution in Oslo, Norway - A GA(2)LEN project. Atmospheric Environment. 7500-7511.
- (2005). Results of pulmonary resection for lung cancer in Norway, patients older than 70 years. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. 325-328.
- (2013). Food Allergens in Mattress Dust in Norwegian Homes: a Significant Source of Allergen Exposure?
- (2018). Hypersensitivity pneumonitis in fish processing workers diagnosed by inhalation challenge. European Respiratory Journal Open Research (ERJ Open Research). 00071.
- (2014). Astma og renholdsarbeidere: Resultater fra RHINE-studien. Fagbladet Allergi i praksis. 30-33.
- (2019). Offspring Reports on Parental Place of Upbringing: Is It Valid? Epidemiology. e16-e18.
- (2010). The indoor environment and childhood allergic diseases; the importance of allergens and microbial components. No.936.
- (2022). The association between periodontitis and pulmonary function based on the Malmö offspring dental study (MODS). Journal of Clinical Periodontology.
- (2017). Late Breaking Abstract- Mothers' preconception overweight and offspring asthma. European Respiratory Journal.
- (2013). Maternal Probiotic Intake and Respiratory and Allergy Outcomes in Early Childhood. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. AB129-AB129.
- (2013). Food allergens in mattress dust in Norwegian homes: a significant source of allergen exposure? Clinical and Translational Allergy.
- (2009). Early life exposure to cat allergens increase the risk of late childhood asthma in a community with low levels of in-door allergens. Allergy. European Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 106-107.
- (2008). Do allergic families avoid having furry pets when children are small? Allergy. European Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 7-8.
- (2021). The Exposome Approach in Allergies and Lung Diseases: Is It Time to Define a Preconception Exposome? International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH).
- (2021). Exposures during the prepuberty period and future offspring's health: evidence from human cohort studies. Biology of Reproduction. 667-680.
- 47 publications in international peer-reviewed journals; h-index: 18, Citations: 808 (Web of science)
- 9 publications in Norwegian journals for health personnel (4 as first- or single author)
- Book chapter: Jensen ET, Bertelsen RJ, Ringel Kulka T. “The Microbiota of the Gastrointestinal Tract in Infancy”, book chapter in “The Microbiota in Gastrointestinal Pathophysiology: Implications for Human Health, Prebiotics, Probiotics and Dysbiosis” 1st Edition November 2016. Elsevier. ISBN: 9780128040249.
- 10 popular science interviews (newspapers, TV, radio)
Many of Randi J Bertelsen's publications are Open Access, and her updated publication record can be found at:
10 Representative Publications
- Jõgi NO, Svanes C, Siiak SP, Logan E, Holloway JW, Igland J, Johannessen A, Levin M, Real FG, Schlunssen V, Horsnell WGC, Bertelsen RJ (2018) Zoonotic helminth exposure and risk of allergic diseases: A study of two generations in Norway. Clin Exp Allergy; 48(1):66-77. Citations: 12. First study to describe prevalence of zoonotic helminth exposure in Norway.
- Svanes Ø, Bertelsen RJ, Lygre SHL, Carsin AE, Antó JM, Forsberg B, García-García JM, Gullón JA, Heinrich J, Holm M, Kogevinas M, Urrutia I, Leynaert B, Moratalla JM, Le Moual N, Lytras T, Norbäck D, Nowak D, Olivieri M, Pin I, Probst-Hensch N, Schlünssen V, Sigsgaard T, Skorge TD, Villani S, Jarvis D, Zock JP, Svanes C (2018) Cleaning at Home and at Work in Relation to Lung Function Decline and Airway Obstruction. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine; 197(9):1157-1163 IF: Citations: 32. Co-supervisor for Ø Svanes; this paper report important association between cleaning and accelerated lung function decline. This paper gained a lot of attention in the press throughout the world.
- Pérez Barrionuevo AM, Gómez Real F, Igland J, Johannessen A, Omenaas E, Franklin KA, Pérez Barrionuevo L, Åstrøm AN, Svanes C, Bertelsen RJ (2018) Periodontal health status and lung function in two Norwegian cohorts. PLoS One; 13(1):e0191410 Citations: 5. An important paper which lay the groundwork for the ongoing research topic in the ERC and RCN funded projects on association between oral microbiome and respiratory health.
- Bertelsen RJ, Rava M, Casin AE, Accordini S, Benediktsdottir B, Dratva J, Franklin KA, Heinrich J, Holm M, Janson C, Johannessen A, Jarvis DL, Jogi R, Leyneart B, Norback D, Omenaas ER, Raherison C, Sánchez-Ramos JL, Schlunssen V, Sigsgaard T, Dharmage SC, Svanes C (2017) Parental asthmatic and allergic activity before conception predicts asthma and allergy in the offspring. Clin Exp Allergy; 47(5): 627-638. Citations: 8. Highlighted as Editor’s choice selection (May 2017 Edition)
- Vindenes HK, Svanes C, Lygre SH, Hollund BE, Langhammer A, Bertelsen RJ (2017). Prevalence of and work-related risk factors for hand eczema in a Norwegian general population (HUNT3). Contact Dermatits; 77(4):214-223. Citations: 10. This is the first paper on chemical exposures and hand eczema in a general population in Norway.
- Bertelsen RJ, Jensen ET, Ringel-Kulka T (2016). Use of probiotics and prebiotics in infant feeding. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol; 30(1):39-48. Citations: 57. Personal invitation for specialty edition
- Bertelsen RJ, Brantsæter AL, Magnus M, Haugen M, Myhre R, Jacobsson B, Longnecker MP, Meltzer HM, London SJ (2014) Probiotic milk consumption in pregnancy and infancy and subsequent childhood allergic disease. J Allergy Clin Immunol 133(1):165-171. Citations: 103.
- Bertelsen RJ, Lødrup-Carlsen KC, Calafat AM, Hoppin JA, Haland G, Mowinckel P, Carlsen KH, Løvik M (2013). Urinary Biomarkers for Phthalates Associated with Asthma in Norwegian Children. Environ Health Perspect 121(2):251-256. Featured as a Science Selection in the February Issue of EHP: http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/2013/02/121-a59/ Citations: 143. I finished this paper as a visiting postdoctoral-fellow at NIEHS. I was invited to contribute with a podcast on phthalates and asthma in Environmental Health Perspective.
- Bertelsen RJ, Longnecker MP, Løvik M, Calafat AM, Carlsen K‐H, London SJ, Lødrup Carlsen KC. Triclosan exposure and allergic sensitization in Norwegian children (2013) Allergy; 68 (1): 84-91. Citations: 89. This publication gained a lot of attention in national and international media during a time when triclosan was being phased out due to fear of that effect on development of antibiotic resistance bacteria
- Bertelsen RJ, Carlsen KCL, Carlsen K-H, Granum B, Doekes G, Håland G, Mowinckel P, Løvik M. Childhood asthma and early life exposure to indoor allergens, endotoxin and ß(1,3)-glucans (2010). Clin Exp Allergy; 40 (2): 307-316. Citations: 59. This paper attracted a lot of media attention and also lead to a television-interview (The Norwegian National Broadcasting channel).
2021 Researcher project "Oral health in adults: predictors, social gradients and correlation with cardiovascular health in women and men" - WP PI - Research Council of Norway; project owner: Oral Health Centre of Expertice/TKVestland
2019 ERC Starting Grant: “Oral bacteria as determinants for respiratory health” - Principal investigator (PI) - European Research Council (ERC); Project owner: University of Bergen
2018 Researcher project: “Oral and Environmental Microbiome, Endotoxin and Lung Health; the ‘United Airways’ concept extended” - PI - Research Council of Norway; Project owner: University of Bergen
2017 Reseracher project: “Housedust mite prevalence in Western Norway” - PI - The Norwegian Asthma and Allergy Foundation; Project owner: Haukeland University Hospital
2018 Kronprins Haakons Research Award for Asthma and Allergy Research; the Norwegian Asthma and Allergy Foundation, Oslo, Norway (5 000 Euro); annual prize for special merits in the field
2011 Fulbright Fellowship from the U.S.-Norway Fulbright Foundation for Educational Exchange for research in Medical Sciences at NIEHS/NIH, North Carolina, USA
2010 Voksentoppen Research Award within paediatric allergology and pulmonology awarded for outstanding research within paediatric respiratory medicine and allergology; Voksentoppen, Oslo University Hospital, Norway (5 000 Euro); annual prize for special merits in the field
Commision of trust/Professional Commitments
2019 - Vice Chair, Management Committee, COST Action CA18131: Statistical and machine learning techniques in human microbiome studies
2018- Member, Scientific Advisory Board: Leibniz ScienceCampus for Evolutionary Medicine of the Lung (EvoLung), Germany. http://evolung.fz-borstel.de/index.php
2017 - Associate editor, International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health (Elsevier)
2015 - Founding member, International Society for Children's Health and the Environment
2014- Committee member of the National Committee for Medical and Health Research Ethics (NEM), appointed by the Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research
2013- Member, working group for recommended technical standards for indoor environment: «Anbefalte faglige normer for inneklima» Rapport 2013: 7, NIPH, Norway
2011- Norwegian representative, WHO expert meeting on Environmental Health Inequalities in Europe; Bonn, Germany. Report contribution: Environmental Health Inequalities in Europe; Assessment report; WHO 2012; ISBN: 978 92 890 0260 8
Organization of international conferences
Organiser – Seminar: “Analyses of the human microbiome; challenges and opportunities”, invited international and national speakers (35 participants), University of Bergen, Norway (3rd March 2019)
Organiser - 31st annual conference of the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE 2019), Proposing and organizing symposium: “Interaction between environmental chemicals and toxicants and the human microbiome” (50 participants), Utrecht, the Netherlands
Chair of meeting planning committee - ISCHE. Name of event: “The Future of Children’s Environmental Health – Translating Knowledge into Action” (70 participants), Cuernavaca, Mexico (January 5-10, 2016).