Xueli Tan is Associate Professor of Music Therapy at the Grieg Academy Music Therapy Research Centre. Prior to her current appointment, Xueli Tan was the Presidential Research Fellow at the Department of Music Therapy, School of Music at University of Iowa (USA). For more than 20 years, Xueli Tan worked as a clinical and research music therapist in various parts of the United States.
Her main clinical work included the use of music therapy for pain management in burns and trauma intensive care. Other music therapy experiences included clinical/research work in post-surgical units, oncology, psychiatry, and with children and adults with disabilities. Her areas of research focus included medical music therapy, pain perception and management, music preference, music perception, cultural humility and responsiveness in clinical practice, and research design and analysis.
Xueli Tan has published in both medical and music therapy peer-review journals, including Journal of Burn Care & Rehabilitation, Cochlear Implants International, Journal of Music Therapy, and Arts in Psychotherapy. She is the author/co-author of several book chapters; her latest chapter was published in the new music therapy textbook Music therapy: An introduction to the profession published by the American Music Therapy Association in November 2018. She is also the author and co-editor of the book Cultural Intersections in Music Therapy: Music, Health, and the Person published in 2017 by Barcelona Publishers (USA).
Xueli Tan is a recipient of multiple international research awards and fellowships, including the Arthur Flagler Fultz Research Award (American Music Therapy Association) and the Blair L. Sadler International Healing Arts Award (Society for the Arts in Healthcare). In 2017, Xueli Tan and her collaborators received the Presidential Commendation Award given by the American Music Therapy Association for the team’s long-term service to promote cultural humility and cultural-responsive practice within the music therapy profession in the United States. Xueli Tan serves on the Editorial Board for the peer-review journals Journal of Music Therapy (USA), Music Therapy Perspectives (USA), on the Advisory Editorial Board for Approaches: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Music Therapy (UK/Greece), and is Associate Editor for the Nordic Journal of Music Therapy.
- 2019. Research in Music Therapy.
- 2019. Music in Healthcare: Evidence from Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
- 2019. Music Therapy Research Protocol Development .
- 2019. Multicultural Dimensions in Music Therapy.
- 2019. Intersectional identities: The Next Frontier in Culturally Responsive Music Therapy.
- 2019. Factors Associated with Music Therapy Board Certification Examination Outcomes. Music Therapy Perspectives.
- 2019. Cultural Responsiveness and Social Justice in Music Therapy Education.
- 2019. Aspirations for Music Therapy in Health and Wellbeing in 21st Century Singapore .
- 2019. AMTS Research Initiative Seminar: Foundations in Music Therapy Research .
- 2018. Music Therapy with Active and Separated Military Personnel .
- 2018. Dance/Movement Therapists? Attitudes and Actions Regarding LGBTQI and Gender Nonconforming Communities. American Journal of Dance Therapy. 1-22.