Introduction to Mendeley
Mendeley is a desktop and web program produced by Elsevier for managing and sharing research papers, discovering research data and collaborating online. It combines Mendeley Desktop, a PDF and reference management application (available for Windows, macOS and Linux), with Mendeley Web, an online tool for researchers.
Mendeley is available either as a premium payable version or a basic version that is free but requires registration.
- Automatic extraction of metadata from PDF papers.
- Back-up and synchronization across multiple computers and with a private online account.
- PDF viewer with sticky notes, text highlighting and full-screen reading.
- Full-text search across papers.
- Smart filtering, tagging and automatic PDF file renaming.
- Citations and bibliographies in Microsoft Word, OpenOffice.org, and LibreOffice.
- Import of documents and research papers from external websites (e.g., PubMed, Google Scholar, Arxiv) via browser bookmarklet.
- BibTeX export/file sync.
- Private groups to collaboratively tag and annotate research papers.
- Usage-based readership statistics about papers, authors and publications.
Third-party tools allow the migration of content.