Besides being a professor at the Department of Economics, I'm one of the editors of Samfunnsøkonomen, the journal of the Norwegian Economic Association. I'm also currently on the organising committee for the annual meeting of the association (Forskermøtet). Furthermore, I'm an associate member of the research group The Politics of Nordic Generosity at the Centre for Development and the Environment at the University of Oslo (SUM).
Broadly speaking, my research interests cover the following fields
- Development economics
- International economics
- Political economy
Of course, I'm happy to combine these topics. The bulk of my actual research has been on foreign aid and other financial flows to developing countries. I usually label myself an applied theorist. This implies that I'm interested in analysing how the world actually works given what we currently know, which hopefully contributes to a better understanding of the mechanisms underlying the empirical observations that constituted the starting point. However, I've also done empirical work on e.g. aid dispersion and have projects in the pipeline where both theoretical and empirical methods will be applied.
I'm the head of the steering committee for the bachelor programme in political economy, which is a joint programme run by the Department of Economics and the Department of Administration and Organization Science. I've most often taught political economy at the bachelor level and development economics at the master level.
I like to contribute to the public debate through both traditional and social media. Feel free to follow me on Twitter, @rjhagen.
Recent newspaper items:
- 1-prosentmålet er et virkemiddel som er blitt et mål, Bistandsaktuelt, February 8, 2019. http://www.bistandsaktuelt.no/arkiv-kommentarer/2019/jansen-hagen-1-prosentmalet-er-et-virkemiddel-som-er-blitt-et-mal/
- 1-prosentmålet er en del av problemet, Bistandsaktuelt, January 29, 2019. http://www.bistandsaktuelt.no/arkiv-kommentarer/2019/rune-jansen-hagen-svarer-pa-asbjorn-eidhammers-forsvar-for-1-prosentmalet/
- Professor: "Partnerlandsmeldingen står til stryk" (originaltittel: Kriterier i norsk bistand – en meldingsanmeldelse), Bistandsaktuelt, December 2018, https://bistandsaktuelt.no/arkiv-kommentarer/2018/Rune-Jansen-Hagen-om-Partnerskapsmeldingen/
- Mangler det 190 millioner eller vilje til reform? Aftenposten, December 18, 2018.
- Enprosentmålet skygger for viktigere debatter (interview), Bistandsaktuelt no. 7, November 2018.
- UD-reform i hvilket spor? Dagens Næringsliv, September 26, 2018.
- Bærekraftig reform?, Dagens Næringsliv, July 4, 2018.
- Full fart i gal retning?, Dagens Næringsliv, June 20, 2018.
- Ministeren er ikke målbar, Dagens Næringsliv, March 14, 2018.
- Vi kan inte göra allt överallt (Biståndsdebatten.se, March 13, 2018) http://www.bistandsdebatten.se/exkldebattartiklar/vi-kan-inte-gora-allt-overallt/
- Den vanskelige velferdsprofitten, Aftenposten, October 4, 2017.
- Fra fristed for særinteresser til verksted for fattigdomsreduksjon? Dagbladet, August 17, 2017.
- Ikke bistand til vår egen fordel, Dagens Næringsliv, July 3, 2017.
- Kunnskap kan koste for mye og bidra for lite, Bistandsaktuelt, June 27, 2017. http://www.bistandsaktuelt.no/arkiv-kommentarer/2017/kunnskap-kan-koste-for-mye/
- «Team Norway» kan få feil fokus, Bergens Tidende, June 3, 2017.
- Ikke glem globaliseringens vinnere!, Bergens Tidende, February 12, 2017.
- Bistandsreform: Fattigdomsbekjempelse og utenrikspolitikk? Panel debate arranged by NTL, Akademikerne, and Parat at Litteraturhuset, Oslo, December 2018, video: https://www.facebook.com/ys.parat/videos/1291831697631440/
- Hva er god bistandsøkonomi? Panel debate at the Kåkånomics festival, Stavanger, October 2018. Podcast: https://soundcloud.com/duverden/bonus-akademikerstjerna-paul-collier-om-okonomi-bistand-og-the-bottom-billion?fbclid=IwAR17T9NeNQKAvTm1MwGpo0oWCby4LByyBVigvKe69V_yQERiCNEGtOqpCZg
- Veier ut av fattigdom. Seminar arranged by CMI and Civita at the Bergen Resource Centre for International Development, October 2017.
- When every dollar counts - what is effective private aid? Seminar arranged by the foundation Effect at Eldorado bookstore, Oslo, September 2017.
- Poverty, Oil Wealth and Political Chaos in Venezuela. Breakfast forum, Bergen Resource Centre for International Development, August 2017.
- Utviklingspoddensialet, episode 25: Flom og fond (May 2, 2019), https://open.spotify.com/episode/5CifZfLckBb7eRqthcgIyZ?si=7E576IPTTw-su5TkoxtWwg&fbclid=IwAR3NFxShQtA1JMsH7pp94mvtB9HL-o2oFrf10OaktcYoHx53g5W7EQ_49M0
- DuVerden! Debate on foreign aid and development with Jeffrey Sachs (April 28, 2016), https://soundcloud.com/duverden/ep8-what-works-in-aid-with-jeffrey-sachs
Selected international publications:
- Losing Concentration? Lessons from a Swedish Aid Policy Reform, Development Policy Review, 36, O984-O1003 (2018).
- Help not needed? Optimal Quotas for Expatriate NGO Workers (with Ami Glazer and Jørn Rattsø), Review of International Economics 26, 302–321 (2018).
- Aid Dispersion: Measurement in Principle and Practice (with Cathrin Fløgstad), World Development, 97, 232-250 (2017).
- Rents and the Political Economy of Development Aid, chapter 15 in R.D. Congleton and A.L. Hillman (eds), Companion to Political Economy of Rent Seeking, Edward Elgar, 2015.
- “Dancing to the Donors’ Tune? Policy-Choice in Aid-Dependent Countries,” Scandinavian Journal of Economics 117(1), 126-163 (2015).
- "Do Non-Enforceable Contracts matter? Evidence from an International Lab Experiment." Review of Income and Wealth 60(1), 100-113 (2014) (with Alexander Cappelen, Erik Ø. Sørensen, and Bertil Tungodden).
- "Certified or Branded? A Game-Theoretic Analysis of the IMF's Policy Support Instrument." Review of International Organizations 7 (2012): 203-230.
- "Basic Analytics of Multilateral Lending and Surveillance." Journal of International Economics 79 (2009):126-136.
- "Buying Influence. Aid Fungibility in a Strategic Perspective." Review of Development Economics 10(2): 267-284 (2006).
- “Samaritan Agents? On the Strategic Delegation of Aid Policy.” Journal of Development Economics 79(1): 249-263 (2006).
Recent publications in Norwegian:
- Budsjettvinneren bistand, Samfunnsøkonomen, 132 (5), 27-33 (2018).
- Beretningen om et varslet mord: Om skjebnen til regjeringens politikk for geografisk konsentrasjon av bistanden, Samfunnsøkonomen, 131 (4), 6-11 (2017).
- Vil regjeringen klare å konsentrere seg i bistandspolitikken? Lærdommer fra Sverige. Samfunnsøkonomen, 130 (5), 41-53 (2016).
- Ph.D. Economics, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration (NHH)
- Courses in political economy, bachelor and master level, NHH and UoB
- Courses in development economics, bachelor and master level, UoB
- Course in institutions and economics, master level, UoB
- Course in international macroeconomics, bachelor level, UoB
- Introductory microeconomics, UoB
- Participated in numerous externally financed projects, including some as project leader, mostly on topics within development economics
Aid Fragmentation, Donor Coordination, and Selectivity, project for the Expert Group for Evaluation and Analysis of Swedish International Aid (output: Concentration Difficulties? An Analysis of Swedish Aid Proliferation, EBA-report 2015:03)
Work in progress:
Gatekeeper? The IMF, Aid Flows, and Policymaking in Low Income Countries, paper presented at Development Economics and Policy 2017, University of Gøttingen.