UiB offers housing guarantee via our Student Welfare Organisation to all new international students provided they meet certain requirements.
Moving to a new city can be stressful. We want to help you rest easy that you will have a place to stay with our international student housing guarantee. All UiB international students have the benefit of guaranteed housing provided they meet certain requirements. Explore the information in the tabs below to learn more.
Housing guarantee requirements
We are happy to guarantee all new international UiB students a room in one of the Student Welfare Organisation (SiB)'s student hostels provided the following criteria are met:
- You are attending UiB for one semester or longer
- You apply for and accept housing within the application periods using the UiB reservation code (see ‘Use Your Housing Guarantee’ for details).
- You arrive at the start of the semester (rental payments must be made starting 1 August for autumn semester or 1 January for spring semester).
- You agree to pay rent for a minimum of one semester within the following standard semester dates:
1 August to 31 December
1 January to 31 July*
*You may terminate your contract one month earlier in the spring semester (1 July) by notifying SiB through My page on their housing webpage.
Use your housing guarantee
In order to take advantage of your housing guarantee:
- You must apply during the application period:
1 April to 15 May
1 October to 1 November
- You must apply directly through SiB’s Housing Webpage. Read SiB’s instructions for students with a housing guarantee carefully before applying.
- When you apply through SiB you will do so using the reservation code for UiB students.
The reservation code is a 5 digit number and will be provided to you by email either in the application process to UiB or with your Letter of Acceptance from UiB, depending on the type of student you are:
|Exchange students (Erasmus+, EEA, Nordplus, Nordlys, bilateral, etc.)||The reservation code will be provided in the application process.|
|Other short-term students (Fulbright, guest students, joint degree students, etc.)||The reservation code will be provided in the application process.|
|Self-financed master’s degree students||The reservation code will be provided to admitted students with the Letter of Acceptance.|
Missed the housing guarantee deadline?
You can still seek student housing through SiB or search for housing on the private market.
Applying for student housing to SiB without a housing guarantee
- Apply directly to SiB for housing without a reservation code.
- Apply within SiB’s standard housing deadlines while meeting SiB’s standard housing requirements for international students without a housing guarantee.
- Housing will be subject to availability.
Note that SiB has a general requirement of a minimum stay of four months before you can terminate your tenancy agreement with two months' notice. This means that you must pay rent for a total of at least six months.
Housing on the private market
If you intend to find housing on the private market, there are several websites that may be useful.
- We recommend the Study Bergen website to get an overview of different areas close to the city centre and to the university campus.
- You may wish to utilise Facebook groups or other social media platforms where vacancies in flats may be announced.
- You may explore other online resources that offer advertisements for vacant apartments and rooms including hybel.no and finn.no