- ECTS credits10
- Teaching semesterAutumn
- Course codeGEOV272
- Number of semesters1
- LanguageEnglish. Norwegian if only Norwegian students attend.
Objectives and Content
In the course, the students will work with 3 cases where they will learn about seismic acquisition/recording, seismic processing and seismic interpretation. The main purpose of the course is to make the students familiar with seismic interpretation. This involves well tie, interpretation, map generation, depth conversion and analysis. In the first case, a single 2D seismic line is to be interpreted. In the second case, several 2D seismic lines will be tied to each other and to wells. In the third case, the students will interpret a 3D seismic survey. The data are from the northern North Sea.
- The learning is based on cases and uses real data and relevant problems related to seismic interpretation of data from the northern North Sea.
- The learning will take place as a group process but can also be individual.
- The students must identify the learning goals in order to find work processes for the cases.
- The students will write a report for each case based on acquired knowledge, interpretation and analysis of relevant data.
- The students acquire relevant knowledge by choosing resources to fulfill the requirements set forward in the learning goals.
- The students will interpret and analyze relevant data by using relevant software such as Petrel.
On completion of the course GEOV272 the student should:
- understand work processes and uncertainties associated with interpretation of 2D and 3D seismic data.
- be able to connect observations in seismic data to prospect evaluation.
- understand processes associated with exploration for oil and gas.
- understand basic structural geology and stratigraphy of the northern North Sea.
The grading scale used is A to F. Grading A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Student adviser, Department of Earth Science, E-mail: email@example.com