Objectives and Content
The class gives an introduction to and an overview over the most important concepts in computer networks. The course considers problems that arise at different layers in a hierarchic communication model, and discusses how these problems can be solved. A special emphasis is placed on how to design application programs based on the services provided by the transport layer.
After completing INF142 - Computer networks, the student should be able to
- Explain a layered communication model and what challenges need to be addressed and solved in each layer,
- Implement simple client-server applications in a high level programming language,
- Design, understand, analyze, and revise simple communication protocols,
- Assess the limitations upon service quality that are inherent in the choice of technology.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Compulsory assignments are valid two semesters, the semester of the approval and the following semester.
Forms of Assessment
3 hours written exam.
Compulsory exercises may count towards the final grade.
The following changes is made to assessment spring semester 2021:
- Written home examination instead of written examination on campus
Examination Support Material
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Course coordinator and administrative contact person can be found on Mitt UiB, or contact Student adviser
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 31.05.2021, 09:00
- 3 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Additional information
- Våren 2021 er det følgande endring i vurdering: skriftleg digital eksamen heime i staden for skriftleg eksamen på campus. Spring 2021: Digital examination from home instead of examination on campus.
- Examination system
- Digital exam