Objectives and Content
The course gives a broad overview of fundamental astrophysics. The course imparts how the basic laws of physics can be utilized to understand and explain observations of processes and phenomena in stars, planets, galaxies and interstellar matter.
The course gives a broad introduction to classical astrophysics with a special emphasis on the physical processes involved. Topics covered in the course include astrophysical observations, the structure and radiation of the sun, the planets and their atmosphere and energy budget, moons, the life cycle of a star from protostar to supernova, the Milky Way, interstellar matter, galaxies, and cosmology.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- has a broad overview of the basic concepts of astrophysics
- has basic knowledge on selected observational techniques in astrophysics
- can describe some basic processes in stars, other objects and matter in space
- can apply knowledge in physics and mathematics to solve simple problems in astrophysics and to reason with scientific arguments
- can explain relevant scientific methods and expressions, and discuss important theories, problems and solutions with fellow students
- can find, evaluate and point to scientific information, carry out a literature study and write a report of a selected topic
- has general knowledge of the scientific connection between basic physics and key elements in astrophysics
- can explain selected problems for discussion in astrophysics
- can put into practice norms for academic writing
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
Studierettleiar kan kontaktast her: email@example.com
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. Autumn 2020 written exams will be arranged either at home or on campus. Please see course information on MittUiB.
Type of assessment: Written examiantion
- 08.12.2020, 09:00
- 4 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam