Autumn + spring (2 consecutive semesters)
Objectives and Content
The goal is to provide participants with an overview of different disciplines in bioscience. The student will receive training in listening to scientific presentations in English, interpreting, reflecting over, reporting and writing scientific information.
The seminar series consists of weekly presentations given in English by national or international scientists. The lecturers are experts in their fields that include molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology, biomedicine, physiology, neuroscience, translational medicine, structural biology, proteomics and bioinformatics. The invited lecturers are selected based on criteria such as competency, skills in communication and diversity of the topics.
The seminar programme can be found at:
After completion of the course the student should have :
- Become familiar with terminology used in a broad range of bioscientific areas.
- Become acquainted with different aspects of current "state-of-the-art" developments that lead to new scientific breakthroughs.
- The ability to follow and understand a scientific presentation and formulate high standard reports.
- Acquired sufficient experience to be able to demonstrate improved writing capability following suggestions/discussion with experienced scientists.
- Obtained a satisfactory basis for developing high standard presentation technique having had the chance to compare that of many experienced presenters.
- The necessary insight to be able to define a future project having developed a broader scientific horizon.
- Developed the ability to perform improved scientific writing.
- Acknowledged the value of participating in scientific seminars given by top-rank scientists.
Required Previous Knowledge
A Bachelor´s degree in biology, molecular biology or equivalent (minimum).
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
- Information meetings (mandatory) for all participants
- Weekly seminars (mandatory participation in 25 seminars in 2 semesters)
- One-to-one meetings with the course coordinator to go through the reports (mandatory)
- Two information meetings, each of 1 hr duration
- 25 seminars, each of 2 hr duration (including preparation)
- 2 reports, requiring 40 hr work each
- Two meetings with the course coordinator, each of 1.5 hr
135 hr in total.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Mandatory participation at a minimum of 25 seminars in two semesters (attendance is registered at the seminars). In addition, mandatory information meetings and individual meetings with the course coordinator.
Forms of Assessment
One report is submitted each semester. The reports have to be filled in according to specified guidelines available on Mitt UiB. Each report has to consist of 3-4 pages written in English.
The course coordinator utilizes a special performance form when evaluating the reports.
Each student is called in to a mandatory review of corrected reports together with the course coordinator.
Written evaluation on My UiB/Mitt UiB.
Type of assessment: Portfolio assessment
- Submission deadline
- 22.06.2018, 23:59
- Withdrawal deadline