Project Work II
- ECTS credits15
- Teaching semesterSpring
- Course codeMUV302
- Number of semesters1
- LanguageBoth English and Norwegian are used as language of instruction. Individual tuition will be given in either language depending on the student. The language of instruction during seminars/group tuition might vary depending on the combination of languages in the student group.
Level of Study
Semester of Instruction
Place of Instruction
Objectives and Content
The course unit is intended as supporting studies to the student¿s performance/creative work, by increasing his/her ability to reflect upon musical issues. Different topical questions will be raised depending on the student group. These might include interpretation, performance practice, the understanding of different musical styles, musical analysis, composition and aesthetics. Critical reflection skills and oral and written expressions concerning relevant issues will be emphasised.
The student should be able to
- express and communicate relevant musical issues related to performance or composition
- become familiar with and discuss different artistic discourses within performance or composition
- find and critically assess relevant source material (literature, scores, recordings etc.) in the performing or creative work
- be aware of and justify his/her own artistic choices
Required Previous Knowledge
Access to the Course
The course is open to master students in music performance or composition
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
Tuition is given in the form of group sessions and individual tutorials throughout the semester. Performers and composers will be given separate tuition. The group sessions will include taught lectures, group discussion, student presentations, master classes, seminars or performance/composition related group projects.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
- All tuition is compulsory. The student will normally loose the right to take the final course unit exam if he/she has an absence exceeding 20%.
- Approval of essay/presentation subjects
- Tutorials regarding essay/ presentation
Approved compulsory requirements are valid for two semesters after the ordinarily scheduled exam semester.
Forms of Assessment
Presentation or digitally presented essay, where it is possible to use sound recording, video or own performance as demonstration or documentation, together with verbal (written or oral) presentation.
Presentation of approx. 30 min.
The topic for the essay or presentation must be related to key issues within the performing or creative work, and may also be an initiating project for the MUV351 course unit project. The topic must be approved by the course unit supervisor.
Internal assessment by at least two internal lecturers, of whom one normally is course unit supervisor or supervisor for MUV351.
Pass or fail
A selection of texts (chapter from book, articles etc.) each semester.
Course unit evaluation takes place in the form of a questionnaire. Subsequently, a written report is produced.
Faculty of Fine Art, Music and Design, The Grieg Academy - Departement of Music: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note that the time may change up until 14 days prior to the day of the examination. The location will be published 14 days ahead.
Type of assessment: Lecture
Type of assessment: Semester paper
- Examination system
- Digital exam