Norwegian Language Courses
The Norwegian language courses at UiB are courses in Norwegian language and culture that are offered to international students, exchange students, employees at the University of Bergen and their spouses, as well as immigrants and refugees.
The majority of our courses are standard progression courses:
- NOR-INTRO / Short Introductory Course in Norwegian
- NOR-U1 – Level 1 / Beginner Course in Norwegian
- NOR-U2 – Level 2 / Intermediate Course in Norwegian
- NOR-U3 – Level 3 / Advanced Course in Norwegian
- NOR-U4 – Level 4 / More Advanced Course in Norwegian
Please click on the different course codes in order to see detailed course information
Two Levels in One Semester
The course NOR-U1/2 covers two levels during one semester, and is a 30 credit course. The course is taught four days a week, and have a total of 104 teaching hours during one semester. This is a fast progression course that demands considerably more homework than courses with standard progression. Additional studies are not recommended.
75% attendance is an obligatory requirement at all Norwegian language courses, and your place can be cancelled if you don’t attend the first day of the course. If you are prevented from meeting the first day, please contact the administration on e-mail.
Schedule spring semester 2018 (may be subject to change)
|NOR-U1||A||TUE & THU||14.15-17.00||WEEK 4-19|
|B||TUE & THU||08.15-11.00||WEEK 4-19|
|C||TUE & FRI||11.15-14.00||WEEK 4-19|
|D*||MON & WED||16.15-19.00||WEEK 4-19|
|E||WED & FRI||08.15-11.00||WEEK 4-19|
|F||MON & WED||14.15-17.00||WEEK 4-19|
|G||TUE, WED & FRI||12.15-14.00 / 08.15-10.00 (WED)||WEEK 4-19|
|NOR-U1/2||A||MON, TUE, THU & FRI||12.15-14.00||WEEK 4-19|
|NOR-U2||A||MON & THU||11.15-14.00||WEEK 4-19|
|C||MON & THU||08.15-11.00||WEEK 4-19|
|D*||TUE & THU||16.15-19.00||WEEK 4-19|
|E||MON & WED||14.15-17.00||WEEK 4-19|
|NOR-U3||A||TUE & FRI||08.15-11.00||WEEK 4-19|
|C||TUE & THU||14.15-17.00||WEEK 4-19|
|D*||TUE & THU||16.15-19.00||WEEK 4-19|
|NOR-U4||A||TUE & THU||14.15-16.00||WEEK 4-19|
* Evening courses are only open for employees at UiB, and/or their partners.
The following categories can apply for admission to the Norwegian language courses at UiB:
- International employees at UiB (at least 100% position for 6 months, or 50% position for 12 months) and their spouses or partners. Click here to apply.
- International agreement and programme students. Information on admission requirements can be found at the Division of Student Affairs.
- Refugees and immigrants with a residence permit. Information on admission requirements can be found at the Division of Student Affairs.
The Norwegian language courses offered at UiB have a limited number of seats, which will be filled according to priority after the application deadline. Employees, partners of employees, international agreement- and programme students are prioritized applicant groups. A certain number of seats are reserved for refugees and immigrants with resident permit at the level 3 courses.
Pre-requirements & Placement Test
- NOR-U1: none
- NOR-U2: passed exam in NOR-U1 or equivalent knowledge and skills in Norwegian language
- NOR-U3: passed exam in NOR-U1/2 or NOR-U2, or equivalent knowledge and skills in Norwegian language
- NOR-U4: the grade A, B or C from NOR-U2/3 or NOR-U3, or equivalent knowledge and skills in Norwegian language
- NOR-U1/2: none
- NOR-U2/3: the grade A, B or C from NOR-U1, or equivalent knowledge and skills in Norwegian language
Applicants who apply for NOR-U2, NOR-U2/3, NOR-U3 and NOR-U4 without having attended the necessary courses at UiB, but have in other ways attained equivalent knowledge and skills in the Norwegian language, must sit a placement test. The placement test is arranged in order to place applicants who already has knowledge of the Norwegian language to a suitable level at UiB. The placement test is not a substitute for passing the exam in NOR-U1, NOR-U1/2 or NOR-U2. The placement test is not graded and no certificate is issued.
International Agreement and Programme Students / Refugees and Immigrants
Persons admitted to the Norwegian language courses as an international agreement or programme student, as well as refugees and immigrants, will find information about exam registration on this page: Examination and Diploma.
The exam registration deadline is 1 February for the spring semester and 1 September for the fall semester.
Employees at the UiB and their partners
Employees at the UiB and their partners who are admitted to the Norwegian language courses will be signed up for the exam by the administration at the Faculty of Humanities.
E-mail account and Mitt UiB
How do I get access to email, internet and Mitt UiB? All students and employees at the UiB must have an individual user’s account giving access to Mitt UiB , e-mail, and to computers at UiB. Students can create accounts themselves by using SEBRA
Transcript of Records
Please go to this side for information about ordering your transcript of records.
Norwegian language proficiency – requirement for general admission
The Norwegian language courses offered at UiB are courses that can lead students to pass the examination of NOR-U3, which will give them the Norwegian language proficiency demanded by the Norwegian Universities and Colleges Admission Service to be admitted to Norwegian universities and colleges.
Staff & Contact Information
- Molde, Else Berit. Assistant Professor email@example.com
- Berzina, Inga. Inga.Berzina@uib.no
- Bjugn, Elisabeth. Assistant Professor, Elisabeth.Bjugn@lle.uib.no
- Eilertsen, Sigrun. Assistant Professor, Sigrun.Eilertsen@lle.uib.no
- Knudsen, Eli Kristine. Assistant Professor, Eli.Knudsen@lle.uib.no
- Kristiansen, Atle. Assistant Professor, Atle.Kristiansen@lle.uib.no
- Mikucionis, Ugnius. Associate Professor, Ugius.Mikucionis@uib.no
- Myrvold, Pernille. Pernille.Myrvold@uib.no
- Olsen, Anna-Marie Kjøde. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saarik, Katrin. Katrin.Saarik@uib.no
- Schjetne, Nina. Assistant Professor Nina.Schjetne@lle.uib.no
- Vikmoen, Lillian. Lillian.Vikmoen@lle.uib.no
- Vikøy, Aasne. Assistant Professor (leave of absence) Aasne.Vikoy@lle.uib.no
- Vårdal, Kristine. email@example.com
- Wunderlich, Ilka. Assistant Professor Ilka.Wunderlich@lle.uib.no
- Brendefur, Thomas. Senior Executive Officer Thomas.Brendefur@uib.no
- Leidland, Asle. Higher Executive Officer Asle.Leidland@uib.no
Opening hours: Monday – Friday 09.30 – 14.30
Sydnesplassen 7, room 453 / 433
Telephone 55582255 / 55582354