The regional impact of our research and innovation
From sea lice to deep ocean minerals, from basic research to industrial innovation: The University of Bergen (UiB) is vibrant key player.
A fresh report is produced, and covers central areas between 2010 and 2017. Part of Horizon2020 - Research and Innovation programme “The European Marine Biological Research Infrastructure Cluster (EMBRIC)”. University of Bergen is a partner.
Highlights from a territorial embedding assessment report:
- Vestland County provides the right mixture for a vibrant Blue Bio research and innovation ecosystem.
- University of Bergen (UiB) is a key player in this system. Marine research and innovation
activities touch all faculties. However, the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, and
especially the Department of Biological Sciences, are the most prominent players.
- UiB is ranked highly in the marine field in various global university rankings. UiB is also a very important provider of knowledge to the local community in terms of courses, master- and PhD candidates.
- The University has a high number of various economic links with private and public sector companies
and organisations in the region. In Hordaland there are many marine-related research and innovation
infrastructures which play a strong role in the local innovation ecosystem. UiB is involved,
to a greater or lesser extent, in all of them.
- UiB and its faculty have various social and policy links, both globally and locally, thus contributing to a general dissemination of research as well as research-based policy making.
- UiB has a strong emphasis on being an international visible change agent to e.g. global challenges for the oceans - with references to the actions taken to support UNs SDG 14, Life below Water.
- On behalf of United Nations Academic Impact (UNAI) and the International Association og Universities (IAU) we work together for sustainable goal number 14. At campus, this is organized under the virtual centre Ocean Sustainability Bergen (OSB).
- Ocean Sustainability Bergen administers the IAU SDG14 Team on behalf of the university.