Lars Thore Fadnes
- Phone+47 55 58 83 89+47 977 04 360
- Visitor AddressKalfarveien 31Bergen
- Postal AddressPostboks 78045020 Bergen
Diet and nutrition: Diet as treatment and prevention of chronic diseases. Anthropometric scoring systems, growth velocity and nutritional assessment of populations, regression analysis. Physical activity and weight change.
Immigrant health: Health services use, morbidity and medication of immigrants.
Treatment and health outcomes linked to health care structure among people with substance use: Treatment of hepatitis C linked to health system and structure and impact on health outcomes in terms of quality of life, mortality, satisfaction with health care.
Global perspectives: Child morbidity and mortality, interventions to reduce morbidity and mortality and global perspectives. Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV. Biological aspects on vertical HIV-transmission and strategies to prevent and reduce HIV-transmission.
Diet and nutrition
Diet as treatment and prevention of chronic diseases. Anthropometric scoring systems, growth velocity and nutritional assessment of populations, regression analysis.
Health services use, morbidity and medication of immigrants.
Clinical teaching in family medicine
Clinical teaching in family medicine and supervision of medical students and doctors.
Treatment and health outcomes linked to health care structure among people with substance use
Treatment of hepatitis C linked to health system and structure and impact on health outcomes in terms of quality of life, mortality, satisfaction with health care.
Experimental and observational epidemiology
Intensive course in experimental epidemiology with focus on how to conduct, analyse and interpret trials and a similar course in observational epidemiology. Vaccination analysis with the use of R and R commander including basic epidemiology and statistics as well as a short introduction into regression models.
Child health in a global perspective
Child and maternal morbidity and mortality, interventions to reduce morbidity and mortality and global perspectives. Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV. Biological aspects on vertical HIV-transmission and strategies to prevent and reduce HIV-transmisssion.
Health systems and oral health
Health insurance, social welfare, health regulations, planning and evaluation of health services.
Health effects of climate change
Overview of health effects of climate change and different interventions to adapt and minimise negative impacts.
- 2020. Caries experience and oral health related quality of life in a cohort of Ugandan HIV-1 exposed uninfected children compared with a matched cohort of HIV unexposed uninfected children. BMC Public Health. 1-12.
- 2020. Association of maternal HIV‐1 severity with dental caries: an observational study of uninfected 5‐ to 7‐yr‐old children of HIV‐1‐infected mothers without severe immune suppression. European Journal of Oral Sciences. 46-54.
- 2019. Two interventions to treat pain disorders and post-traumatic symptoms among Syrian refugees: protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 1-9.
- 2019. Peer involvement and cross-sector efforts in establishing integrated treatment of hepatitis C virus infection for people with substance use disorders: experiences from Norway. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy. 1-7.
- 2019. Integrated treatment of hepatitis C virus infection among people who inject drugs: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial (INTRO-HCV). BMC Infectious Diseases. 1-9.
- 2018. Dietary intake and blood concentrations of antioxidants and the risk of cardiovascular disease, total cancer, and all-cause mortality: A systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1069-1091.
- 2017. Primary healthcare usage and use of medications among immigrant children according to age of arrival to Norway: A population-based study. BMJ Open. 1-9.
- 2017. Predicting undernutrition at age 2 years with early attained weight and length compared with weight and length velocity. Journal of Pediatrics. 127-132.e1.
- 2017. Fruit and vegetable intake and the risk of cardiovascular disease, total cancer and all-cause mortality-A systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies. International Journal of Epidemiology. 1029-1056.
- 2017. Country, regional, and global estimates for lactose malabsorption in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The Lancet Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 738-746.
- 2017. Assessing causal effects of early life course factors on early childhood caries in 5-year-old Ugandan children using Direct acyclic graphs (DAGs): A prospåective cohort study. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology. 512-521.
- 2016. Whole grain consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer, and all cause and cause specific mortality: systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies. BMJ. British Medical Journal.
- 2016. Using growth velocity to predict child mortality. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 801-807.
- 2016. Primary health care utilisation and morbidity among immigrant children compared to non-immigrant children: a population-based study in Norway. BMJ Open. 1-8.
- 2016. Objectively assessed physical activity and associated factors among adults in peri-urban and rural Eastern Uganda: a population-based study. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 1243-1254.
- 2016. Nut consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease, total cancer, all-cause and cause-specific mortality: A systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies. BMC Medicine. 14 pages.
- 2016. Impact of a peer-counseling intervention on breastfeeding practices in different socioeconomic strata: results from the equity analysis of the PROMISE-EBF trial in Uganda. Global health action.
- 2016. Effects of an exclusive breastfeeding intervention for six months on growth patterns of 4-5 year old children in Uganda: The cluster-randomised PROMISE EBF trial. BMC Public Health. 9 pages.
- 2016. Caretaker's caries experience and its association with early childhood caries and children's oral Health related quality of life: a prospective two generation study. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica. 605-612.
- 2015. Population-based survey of overweight and obesity and the associated factors in peri-urban and rural Eastern Uganda Chronic Disease epidemiology. BMC Public Health.
- 2015. Effects of early feeding on growth velocity and overweight/obesity in a cohort of HIV unexposed South African infants and children. International Breastfeeding Journal.
- 2015. Effect of breastfeeding promotion on early childhood caries and breastfeeding duration among 5 year old children in Eastern Uganda: A cluster randomized trial. PLOS ONE.
- 2015. Cost-effectiveness of peer counselling for the promotion of exclusive breastfeeding in Uganda. PLOS ONE. 18 pages.
- 2014. Impact of low birthweight on early childhood caries in 6-36 months old infants in Uganda: A cross-sectional study. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica. 312-320.
- 2014. HIV Infection, Viral Load, Low Birth Weight, and Nevirapine Are Independent Influences on Growth Velocity in HIV-Exposed South African Infants. Journal of Nutrition. 42-48.
- 2014. Growth effects of exclusive breastfeeding promotion by peer counsellors in sub-Saharan Africa: the cluster-randomised PROMISE EBF trial. BMC Public Health. 12 pages.
- 2014. Early infant feeding practices in three African countries: the PROMISE-EBF trial promoting exclusive breastfeeding by peer counsellors. International Breastfeeding Journal. 19.
- 2013. Infant feeding survival and Markov transition probabilities among children under age 6 months in Uganda. American Journal of Epidemiology. 453-462.
- 2012. Timeliness of childhood vaccinations in Kampala Uganda: a community-based cross-sectional study. PLOS ONE. 6 pages.
- 2012. Early cessation of breastfeeding amongst women in South Africa: an area needing urgent attention to improve child health. BMC Pediatrics. 10 pages.
- 2011. Vaccination coverage and timeliness in three South African areas: a prospective study. BMC Public Health. 11 pages.
- 2011. Target weight gain for moderately wasted children during supplementation interventions - a population-based approach. Public Health Nutrition. 2117-2123.
- 2011. Is vaccination coverage a good indicator of age-appropriate vaccination? A prospective study from Uganda. Vaccine. 3564-3570.
- 2011. Exclusive breastfeeding promotion by peer counsellors in sub-Saharan Africa (PROMISE-EBF): a cluster-randomised trial. The Lancet. 420-427.
- 2010. Infant feeding counselling in Uganda in a changing environment with focus on the general population and HIV-positive mothers - a mixed method approach. BMC Health Services Research. 9 pages.
- 2009. Need to optimise infant feeding counselling: A cross-sectional survey among HIV-positive mothers in Eastern Uganda. BMC Pediatrics.
- 2009. Infant feeding among HIV-positive mothers and the general population mothers: comparison of two cross-sectional surveys in Eastern Uganda. BMC Public Health. 14 pages.
- 2011. TImeliness ofChild Vacdnations inKampala Uganda.
- 2017. Correction to: Effects of early feeding on growth velocity and overweight/obesity in a cohort of HIV unexposed South African infants and children. International Breastfeeding Journal. 1 pages.
- 2013. Nutrition of Infants and HIV in Nutrition in Infancy. Springer.
- 2011. Atomvåpen og klimaendringer - trusler med mange paralleler. Medlemsbladet for Norske leger mot atomvåpen. 12-14.
- 2020. Bør vi spise mindre rødt kjøtt? Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 1-5.
- 2019. Legers ansvar i klimakrisen. Morgenbladet. 1 pages.
- 2019. Klimakrisen - V?rt ansvar som leger. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 1-5.
- 2019. Barn og unge krever at noen tar ansvar. Bergensavisen.
- 2011. Counselling, child growth and feeding of children in Uganda in the era of HIV: Contexts and consequences.
- 2019. Ishockeyspiller har vært veganer i tre år: – Jeg presterer bedre.
- 2019. Self Rated Health among Syrian refugees in Lebanon and Norway – a cross sectional study. European Journal of Public Health.
- 2019. Chronic pain and migration-related factors among Syrian refugees: a cross-sectional study. European Journal of Public Health.
- 2018. Reported pain and use of painkillers among Syrian refugees at various stages in the migration process . European Journal of Public Health.
- 2009. ADVISING GLOBAL INFANT FEEDING RECOMMENDATIONS WITH LOCAL INSIGHT: HEALTH WORKERS KNOWLEDGE OF INFANT FEEDING PRACTICES IN EASTERN UGANDA. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 233-233.
- 2019. Oral Health in Ugandan HIV exposed and unexposed uninfected children.
- 2015. Early lifecourse predictors of Early Childhood Caries in Eastern Uganda.
- 2014. Breastfeeding promotion and early childhood caries (ECC) in eastern Uganda.
- 2011. Timeliness of Childhood immunizations in Kampala Uganda.
- 2009. Advicing global infant feeding recommendations with local insight’: health workers knowledge of infant feeding practices in Eastern Uganda.
- 2017. Erratum: Effects of early feeding on growth velocity and overweight/obesity in a cohort of HIV unexposed South African infants and children. [Int Breastfeed J., 10, (2015), (14)] DOI: 10.1186/s13006-015-0041-x. International Breastfeeding Journal. 1-1.
- 2019. Integrated care of severe infectious diseases to people with substance use disorders; a systematic review. 1-15.
- 2009. How to identify information bias due to self-reporting in epidemiological research.
- 2019. Promoting the Health of Migrant Children and Children of Immigrants . . In:
- 2019. Migrant Health: A Primary Care Perspective. CRC Press.
- 2013. Statistical Modeling. . In:
- 2013. Epidemiology: Principles and Practical Guidelines. Springer.
- 2013. Data Cleaning . . In:
- 2013. Epidemiology: Principles and Practical Guidelines. Springer.
- 2013. Basic Concepts in Epidemiology . . In:
- 2013. Epidemiology: Principles and Practical Guidelines. Springer.
Publications listed in PubMed:
- Clinical specialist in family medicine (2017)
- PhD-degree from the University of Bergen (2011)
- Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (DTM&H) at LSHTM (2010)
- Completed medical study (medical doctor/cand.med.) (2009)
- Complete The Medical Student Research Program (2009)
- 2019--> Coordinating the multi-centre study ATLAS4OAT study (assessment and treatment of lung disease among patient receiving opioid agonist therapy). The study is financed by the Helse Vest RHF (the Western Norway Regional Health Authority). Read more on https://helse-bergen.no/avdelinger/rusmedisin/rusmedisin-seksjon-forsking/bar/atlas4lar-kartlegging-og-behandling-av-lungesykdom-i-legemiddelassistert-behandling.
- 2016 -->: Coordinating the multi-centre study “Integrated treatment of hepatitis C virus infection among patients with injecting drug abuse: a randomised controlled trial (INTRO-HCV)”. The trial compares the effect of integrated hepatitis C (HCV) treatment between the opioid substitution treatment polyclinics in Bergen and Stavanger (intervention arm) with standard treatment provided after referral to infectious disease clinics among patients who receive opioid substitution treatment having HCV. The study is financed by the Norwegian Research Council and Helse Vest RHF (the Western Norway Regional Health Authority)(https://www.cristin.no/app/projects/show.jsf?id=536891). See also clinicaltrials.gov no. NCT03155906: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03155906?term=NCT03155906&rank=1
- 2016/7-->: Established regional health register (LAR helseregister) for patients receiving opioid substitution treatment utilised both in Bergen, Stavanger and Sandnes and contributing to setting up a biobank utilised in the same area (Bergen Addiction Research Group biobank). Approved by Datatilsynet and REK Vest.
- 2017-->: Asessment of oral health among patients receiving opioid substitution treatment in Bergen (Tannhelse i LAR). https://app.cristin.no/projects/show.jsf?id=567285
Other involvement in projects
- 2020--> Bergen in Change (Bergen i endring, BiE studien, co-PI): Bergen in Change is a cohort from Bergen municipality inviting 200 000 inhabitants for assessment of various risk factors and impact on life in relation to various public health measures
- 2016-->: Changing health along the Syrian refugees' trajectories to Norway. Somatic and mental health relationships and implication for treatment. The study is financed by the Norwegian Research Council (https://www.cristin.no/app/projects/show.jsf?id=537853)
- 2017-->: FARBAR: Pharmacology Research project for Bergen Addiction Research Group
- 2016-->: The Methadone project (metadonprosjektet). The study is financed by the Helse Vest RHF (the Western Norway Regional Health Authority) (https://helseforskning.etikkom.no/prosjekterirek/prosjektregister/prosjekt?p_document_id=820998)
- 2016-->: SELFIE (Sustainable intEgrated chronic care modeLs for multi-morbidity: delivery, FInancing, and performancE), financed by European Union Horizon 2020 grant agreement No 634288
- 2007-2011: PROMISE-EBF: Safety and Efficacy of Exclusive Breastfeeding Promotion in the Era of HIV in Sub-Saharan Africa. Funded by European Union Sixth Framework International Cooperation–Developing Countries, Research Council of Norway, Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, Norwegian Programme for Development, Research and Education, South African National Research Foundation, and Rockefeller Brothers Foundation.