- (2022). Extra-pair paternity explains cooperation in a bird species. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 5 pages.
- (2020). Hormones as adaptive control systems in juvenile fish. Biology Open. 1-16.
- (2020). Hormonal adjustments to future expectations impact growth and survival in juvenile fish. Oikos. 41-51.
- (2019). Decision-making from the animal perspective: Bridging ecology and subjective cognition. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution. 1-14.
- (2018). Testing the novelty effect of an m-learning tool on internalization and achievement: A Self-Determination Theory approach. Computers & Education. 398-413.
- (2018). Correlates of complete brood failure in blue tits: could extra-pair mating provide unexplored benefits to females? Journal of Avian Biology. 1-9.
- (2018). AHA: A general cognitive architecture for Darwinian agents. Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures. 51-57.
- (2016). The proximate architecture for decision-making in fish. Fish and Fisheries. 680-695.
- (2016). From sensing to emergent adaptations: Modelling the proximate architecture for decision-making. Ecological Modelling. 90-100.
- (2015). The crypsis hypothesis explained: A reply to Jayasuriya et al. (2015). Seed Science Research. 402-408.
- (2014). The emotion system promotes diversity and evolvability. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences.
- (2014). Extra-pair mating and evolution of cooperative neighbourhoods. PLOS ONE.
- (2014). Conditions favouring hard seededness as a dispersal and predator escape strategy. Journal of Ecology. 1475-1484.
- (2013). Optimal mate choice patterns in pelagic copepods. Oecologia. 399-408.
- (2013). Effects of the emotion system on adaptive behavior. The American Naturalist. 689-703.
- (2012). Fishing-induced evolution of growth: concepts, mechanisms and the empirical evidence. Marine Ecology. 1-25.
- (2009). Quantifying the adaptive value of learning in foraging behavior. The American Naturalist. 478-489.
- (2008). Current analyses do not resolve whether extra-pair paternity is male or female driven. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology. 1795-1804.
- (2007). Ranging behaviour of male capercaillie Tetrao urogallus outside the lekking ground in spring. Journal of Avian Biology. 37-43.
- (2007). Exploration or exploitation: life expectancy changes the value of learning in foraging strategies. Oikos. 513-523.
- (2007). Copepod mating: chance or choice? Journal of Plankton Research. 1023-1030.
- (2006). Co-existence of learners and stayers maintains the advantage of social foraging. Evolutionary Ecology Research. 1311-1324.
- (2006). A standard protocol for describing individual-based and agent-based models. Ecological Modelling. 115-126.
- (2005). Social interactions among Capercaillie Tetrao urogallus males outside the lek during spring. Ornis Fennica. 147-154.
- (2005). Multiple predators in the pelagic: modelling behavioural cascades. Journal of Animal Ecology. 423-429.
- (2004). The influence of sexual size dimorphism on the dietary shifts of Capercaillie Tetrao urogallus during spring. Ornis Fennica. 130-136.
- (2000). Daytime roosting and habitat preference of capercaillie Tetrao urogallus males in spring - the importance of forest structure in relation to anti-predator behaviour. Wildlife Biology. 241-249.
- (2017). Numerical competence and quantitative skills for BSc-students in biology.
Popular scientific lecture
- (2017). “Har du hørt om zoologen, botanikeren, og modelløren som skulle forske på frø?” En tverrfaglig hyllest til Kungeemeritus Högstedt.
- (2010). 150 år med evolusjonsteorien.
- (2009). Sjekketriks i naturen.
- (2019). Perceived novelty is not enough: the effect of need-support in m-learning on internalization and achievement.
- (2018). Students Create Video Tutorials for their Peers in Discipline-Oriented Classes: Implementation Guide.
- (2018). Building the Research Teaching Nexus in Ecology: Three Courses to Get There.
- (2016). Reduced brood failure in mixed-paternity blue tit broods.
- (2016). Extra-pair mating and cooperation in anti-predator behaviours.
- (2015). Extra‐pair mating and the evolution of cooperative neighbourhoods.
- (2015). Extra‐pair mating and evolution of cooperative neighbourhoods.
- (2011). Extra-pair mating in birds facilitates cooperation in local neighbourhoods.
- (2010). Female promiscuity may trigger male cooperation in predator defence.
- (2006). Coexistence of mobile and sedentary strategies maintains the advantage of social foraging.
- (2000). Temporal changes in daytime space use by male capercaillie Tetrao urogallus in spring.
- (2000). Daytiem roosting habitat habitat preference of capercaillie males in spring - the importance of forest structure in relation to anti-predator behaviour.
- (2008). Evolution of growth in Gulf of St Lawrence cod? Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. 1111-1112.
Reader opinion piece
- (2009). Hvor langt strekker forskerens ansvar seg? Bergens Tidende.
- (2009). Biologien og ubehaget. Bergens Tidende.
- (2009). Biologi velger ikke menneskesyn. Bergens Tidende.
- (2021). Nest predation, reproductive investment, and environmental variability in Atlantic puffin (Fratercula arctica).
Popular scientific article
- (2016). Sideparinger og samarbeid. Naturen. 140-143.
- (2009). Hvordan formes vi? Bergens Tidende.
- (2001). Tiur og røy i et moderne skogslandskap. Jakt og fiske. 59-60.
Letter to the editor
- (2022). Reply to Jan T. Lifjeld et al.: Female agency and fitness benefits of mixed-paternity broods remain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America.
- (2020). Modelling fish growth under hormonal regulation as a factor in Pace of Life.
- (2006). Foraging ecology and learning. Adaptive behavioural strategies and the value of information.
- (2009). Biologisk skivebom.
- (2016). Hunnfugler og utroskap.
- (2019). Utvalgets kraft.
- (2021). bioWRITE - A digital platform for learning scientific writing.
- (2021). bioST@TS - A platform for learning statistical analysis and management of biological data.
- (2018). bioST@TS, a Learning Platform for Statistical Analysis and Management of Biological Data.
- (2009). Do female extra-pair mating promote male cooperation?
- (2000). Sexual differences and similarities in foraging behaviour of the capercaillie Terao urogallus during spring.
Digital learning tools
- (2016). bioST@TS, a web-based Learning Platform for Statistical Analysis and Management of Biological Data.
Academic literature review
- (2020). Computational animal welfare: Towards cognitive architecture models of animal sentience, emotion and wellbeing. Royal Society Open Science. 17 pages.