The SEAS programme's goals and commitments
SEAS (Shaping European Research Leaders for Marine Sustainability) is a career and mobility fellowship programme for 37 postdoctoral research fellows within marine sustainability, managed by the University of Bergen (UiB).
About the SEAS programme
SEAS (Shaping European Research Leaders for Marine Sustainability) is a career and mobility fellowship programme for 37 postdoctoral research fellows within marine sustainability, managed by the University of Bergen (UiB). This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 101034309.
SEAS will facilitate international mobility of experienced researchers, and provide exposure to world-class international working environments, networks, supervision, and training. The postdoctoral research fellows will be part of a support and training scheme that will allow them to build highly valued competencies in the competitive international academic and non-academic job markets.
There have now been 3 Calls for applications (Call 1 in 2021, Call 2 in 2022 and Call 3 in 2023). All SEAS fellows will be employed in 3-year fixed-term full-time postdoctoral research fellow positions at UiB. Individual contracts may, under certain conditions, be extended by up to one year if funded from other sources than the SEAS programme.
- SEAS aims to recruit and bring together a group of 37 highly talented experienced researchers who will provide knowledge crucial for a more sustainable marine future. Humanity’s well-being is deeply intertwined with the health of the ocean. It sustains us, stabilizes the climate and leads to greater prosperity. With expertise in a broad range of fields, this group will strengthen and facilitate UiB’s strong commitment to marine science and ocean sustainability, aligned with the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development, The United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and The European Green Deal.
- SEAS aims to devise a flagship programme at UiB of world-class training and support that will guide and support the SEAS fellows to reach professional maturity as successful leaders in both academic and non-academic sectors, equipped with transferable skills in inter- and trans-disciplinary research and intersectoral collaboration.
- SEAS aims to strengthen the institutional culture at UiB - in close cooperation with our SEAS-partners and other collaborators - into one of innovation, collaboration and transdisciplinary research, at the forefront of the global drive for sustainability.
The SEAS fellows will be provided with:
- high-quality inter- and trans-disciplinary research and training opportunities in the area of marine sustainability, supported by a supervision and inter-sectoral mentoring scheme
- opportunity to transfer knowledge and skills between disciplines, organisations and sectors
- a regional ecosystem of marine actors
- structured skill-based training
- high-quality working conditions
- personal career support
- academic freedom
- equal opportunities