My on-going project is about improving performance and safety of clinical biomaterials.
Bergen retrieval center for implants is collecting and analyzing joint prostheses that have failed due to aseptic loosening, often in combination with osteolysis or other immunological reactions.
I have specialised in trace element analysis, mainly on clinically related samples. Main elements of interest are Co, Cr, Zr, Mo, Ni and Ti measured by ICP-MS.
Google scholar: https://scholar.google.no/citations?user=NfSE-qUAAAAJ
- 2018. Novel Nanoparticulate and Ionic Titanium Antigens for Hypersensitivity Testing. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 19. 18 sider. doi: 10.3390/ijms19041101
- 2017. The impact of metal ion exposure on the cellular behavior of human osteoblasts and PBMCs: In vitro analyses of osteolytic processes. Materials. 10:734: 1-15. Publisert 2017-07-03. doi: 10.3390/ma10070734
- 2017. Early aseptic loosening of a mobile-bearing total knee replacement. Acta Orthopaedica. 1-7. Publisert 2017-11-06. doi: 10.1080/17453674.2017.1398012
- 2017. Impact of maternal selenium status on infant outcome during the first 6 months of life. Nutrients. 9. doi: 10.3390/nu9050486
- 2015. The effect of blood protein adsorption on cellular uptake of anatase TiO2 nanoparticles. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 10: 687-695. doi: 10.2147/IJN.S72726
- 2015. Wear particles and ions from cemented and uncemented titanium-based hip prostheses - A histological and chemical analysis of retrieval material. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B - Applied biomaterials. 103: 709-717. doi: 10.1002/jbm.b.33243
- 2014. COMPARISON OF WEAR PARTICLE EXPOSURE AND TISSUE REACTIONS IN PATIENTS WITH CEMENTED AND UNCEMENTED TITANIUM HIP PROSTHESES THAT FAILED DUE TO OSTEOLYSIS. Bone & Joint Journal Orthopaedic Proceedings Supplement. 96-B: 41-41. Publisert 2014-07-01.
- 2012. Role of physicochemical characteristics in the Uptake of TiO2 nanoparticles by fibroblasts. Toxicology in Vitro. 26: 469-479. doi: 10.1016/j.tiv.2012.01.019
- 2012. Coordinating retrieval and register studies improves postmarket surveillance. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 470: 2995-3002. Publisert 2012-06-22. doi: 10.1007/s11999-012-2430-4
- 2012. Is there still a place for the cemented titanium femoral stem? 10,108 cases from the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register. Acta Orthopaedica. 83: 1-6. doi: 10.3109/17453674.2011.645194
- 2011. Mapping of titanium particles in peri-implant oral mucosa by Laser Ablation Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry and high-resolution optical darkfield microscopy. Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine. 40: 412-420. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0714.2010.00958.x
- 2009. Agglomeration and Sedimentation of TiO2 Nanoparticles in Cell Culture Medium. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 68: 83-87. Publisert 2009-01-01. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2008.09.014
- 2008. Should the galvanic combination of titanium and stainless steel surgical implants be avoided? Injury. 39: 161-169. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2007.07.015
- 2008. Induction of cell death by TiO2 nanoparticles: studies on a human monoblastoid cell line. Toxicology in Vitro. 22: 1689-1696. doi: 10.1016/j.tiv.2008.07.002
- 2008. Formation of potential titanium antigens based on protein binding to titanium dioxide nanoparticles. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 3: 69-74.
- 2007. Skrivegruppa for PhD-kandidatar under biomaterialparaplyen. Bergen Open Research Archive (BORA). 7 sider.
- 2006. Hip fracture implants increase serum metal levels. Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation. 66: 705-716. doi: 10.1080/00365510600939877
- 2005. Nickel contamination from an intravenous catheter used for infusion. Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation. 65: 221-225. doi: 10.1080/00365510510013578
- 2003. Trace elements in persons with dental amalgam. : The role of a chelating agent.
Bergen Implant Retrieval center for Implants
The overall goal of our projects is to improve the performance and safety of orthopaedic and other surgical implants by a clinic-laboratory interaction.
Clinical performance of artificial materials can be predicted and improved by investigation of the retrieved devices that have been in clinical use, by a translational research approach, addressing biocompatibility and assessment of physical behavior.