My on-going project is about improving performance and safety of clinical biomaterials.
Bergen retrieval center for implants is collecting and analyzing joint prostheses that have failed due to aseptic loosening, often in combination with osteolysis or other immunological reactions.
I have specialised in trace element analysis, mainly on clinically related samples. Main elements of interest are Co, Cr, Zr, Mo, Ni and Ti measured by ICP-MS.
Google scholar: https://scholar.google.no/citations?user=NfSE-qUAAAAJ
- 2021. Metallionenivåer i blod fra pasienter med metall-mot-metall-hofteprotese. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 31-36.
- 2020. Strength of side-to-side and step-cut repairs in tendon transfers: biomechanical testing of porcine flexor tendons. Journal of Hand Surgery (European Volume). 1-5.
- 2019. Strength of Pulvertaft modifications: tensile testing of porcine flexor tendons. Journal of Hand Surgery (European Volume). 795-799.
- 2019. Metals in orthopaedic implants: Mechanical, chemical and biological properties of titanium and stainless steel implants .
- 2019. Mekanismer for aseptisk løsning av sementert Spectron EF hoftestamme med Reflection kopp - en retrievalstudie.
- 2019. Kontrollen av medisinske implantater kan bli bedre. Dagens medisin. 1 sider.
- 2019. Impact of TiNbN wear particles on osteoblastic differentiation capacity and induction of inflammatory reactions.
- 2019. Corrosion and metal release from overlapping arterial stents under mechanical and electrochemical stress - An experimental study. Journal of The Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. 31-35.
- 2019. Cementing technique for primary knee arthroplasty: a scoping review. Acta Orthopaedica. 582-589.
- 2018. Novel titanium antigens and assessment of immune activation.
- 2018. Novel nanoparticulate and ionic titanium antigens for hypersensitivity testing. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 1-18.
- 2018. Metallnivå i blod hos pasienter med hofteprotese.
- 2018. Label-free monitoring of uptake and toxicity of endoprosthetic wear particles in human cell cultures. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 1-14.
- 2018. An individual patient outcome tool for joint replacement patients.
- 2018. An individual patient outcome tool for joint replacement patients. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. 129-132.
- 2017. The impact of metal ion exposure on the cellular behavior of human osteoblasts and PBMCs: In vitro analyses of osteolytic processes. Materials. 1-15.
- 2017. Impact of maternal selenium status on infant outcome during the first 6 months of life. Nutrients.
- 2017. Early aseptic loosening of a mobile-bearing total knee replacement: A case-control study with retrieval analyses. Acta Orthopaedica. 77-83.
- 2016. Sporelementer i morsmelk.
- 2016. Metallionenivåer i blod over 5 år med "Birmingham resurfacing" hofteprotese.
- 2016. Investigation of mechanisms leading to early loosening of hip prostheses. A retrieval study of 27 failed cases of cemented Spectron EF stem in combination with Reflection acetabular cup.
- 2016. Can clinical radiographs be used for large scale monitoring of polyethylene wear?
- 2015. Wear particles and ions from cemented and uncemented titanium-based hip prostheses - A histological and chemical analysis of retrieval material. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B - Applied biomaterials. 709-717.
- 2015. The effect of blood protein adsorption on cellular uptake of anatase TiO2 nanoparticles. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 687-695.
- 2015. Novel titanium antigens cause lymphocyte proliferation and activation of monocyte/macrophage type cytokines.
- 2015. Analyse av metallfrigjøring fra medisinske implantater.
- 2014. Early aseptic loosening of a mobile-bearing total knee replacement – a retrieval analysis.
- 2014. Early aseptic loosening of a mobile-bearing total knee replacement – A retrieval analysis.
- 2014. Corrosion and Metal Release from Arterial Stents (Single and Stent in Stent) under Mechanical and Electrochemical Stress – an Experimental Study.
- 2014. COMPARISON OF WEAR PARTICLE EXPOSURE AND TISSUE REACTIONS IN PATIENTS WITH CEMENTED AND UNCEMENTED TITANIUM HIP PROSTHESES THAT FAILED DUE TO OSTEOLYSIS. Bone & Joint Journal Orthopaedic Proceedings Supplement. 41-41.
Bergen Implant Retrieval center for Implants
The overall goal of our projects is to improve the performance and safety of orthopaedic and other surgical implants by a clinic-laboratory interaction.
Clinical performance of artificial materials can be predicted and improved by investigation of the retrieved devices that have been in clinical use, by a translational research approach, addressing biocompatibility and assessment of physical behavior.