My on-going project is about improving performance and safety of clinical biomaterials.
Bergen retrieval center for implants is collecting and analyzing joint prostheses that have failed due to aseptic loosening, often in combination with osteolysis or other immunological reactions.
I have specialised in trace element analysis, mainly on clinically related samples. Main elements of interest are Co, Cr, Zr, Mo, Ni and Ti measured by ICP-MS.
Google scholar: https://scholar.google.no/citations?user=NfSE-qUAAAAJ
- (2023). Cementing techniques for total ktnee arthroplasty in Norwegian hospitals; a questionnaire-based study. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders.
- (2022). Similarly low-blood metal ion levels at 10-years follow-up of total hip arthroplasties with Oxinium, CoCrMo, and stainless steel femoral heads. Data from a randomized clinical trial. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B - Applied biomaterials. 1-8.
- (2022). Polyethylene Wear In Total Hip Arthroplasty; Comparing Oxinium And CoCr Femoral Heads Using Radiostereometry With 10 Years Follow-Up.
- (2022). Polycrystalline diamond coating on orthopedic implants: Realization and role of surface topology and chemistry in adsorption of proteins and cell proliferation. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 44933-44946.
- (2022). Initial Stability Of Surface vs Full Cemented Tibial Components Under Cyclic Loading.
- (2022). Inflammatory tissue reactions around aseptically loose cemented hip prostheses: A retrieval study of the Spectron EF stem with Reflection All‐Poly acetabular cup. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B - Applied biomaterials. 1624-1636.
- (2021). Polyethylene wear in total hip arthroplasty; comparing Oxinium and CoCr femoral heads using radiostereometry with 10 years follow-up.
- (2021). Metallionenivåer i blod fra pasienter med metall-mot-metall-hofteprotese. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 31-36.
- (2020). Strength of side-to-side and step-cut repairs in tendon transfers: biomechanical testing of porcine flexor tendons. Journal of Hand Surgery (European Volume). 1-5.
- (2020). Metallionenivåer i blod etter 10 år med hofteproteser med ulike hodematerialer.
- (2020). En spørreundersøkelse om sementeringsteknikker som brukes ved total kneprotesekirurgi ved norske sykehus.
- (2019). Strength of Pulvertaft modifications: tensile testing of porcine flexor tendons. Journal of Hand Surgery (European Volume). 795-799.
- (2019). Metals in orthopaedic implants: Mechanical, chemical and biological properties of titanium and stainless steel implants .
- (2019). Mekanismer for aseptisk løsning av sementert Spectron EF hoftestamme med Reflection kopp - en retrievalstudie.
- (2019). Kontrollen av medisinske implantater kan bli bedre. Dagens medisin. 1 sider.
- (2019). Impact of TiNbN wear particles on osteoblastic differentiation capacity and induction of inflammatory reactions.
- (2019). Corrosion and metal release from overlapping arterial stents under mechanical and electrochemical stress - An experimental study. Journal of The Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. 31-35.
- (2019). Cementing technique for primary knee arthroplasty: a scoping review. Acta Orthopaedica. 582-589.
- (2018). Novel titanium antigens and assessment of immune activation.
- (2018). Novel nanoparticulate and ionic titanium antigens for hypersensitivity testing. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 1-18.
- (2018). Metallnivå i blod hos pasienter med hofteprotese.
- (2018). Label-free monitoring of uptake and toxicity of endoprosthetic wear particles in human cell cultures. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 1-14.
- (2018). An individual patient outcome tool for joint replacement patients. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. 129-132.
- (2018). An individual patient outcome tool for joint replacement patients.
- (2017). The impact of metal ion exposure on the cellular behavior of human osteoblasts and PBMCs: In vitro analyses of osteolytic processes. Materials. 1-15.
- (2017). Impact of maternal selenium status on infant outcome during the first 6 months of life. Nutrients.
- (2017). Early aseptic loosening of a mobile-bearing total knee replacement: A case-control study with retrieval analyses. Acta Orthopaedica. 77-83.
- (2016). Metallionenivåer i blod over 5 år med "Birmingham resurfacing" hofteprotese.
- (2016). Investigation of mechanisms leading to early loosening of hip prostheses. A retrieval study of 27 failed cases of cemented Spectron EF stem in combination with Reflection acetabular cup.
- (2016). Can clinical radiographs be used for large scale monitoring of polyethylene wear?
Bergen Implant Retrieval center for Implants
The overall goal of our projects is to improve the performance and safety of orthopaedic and other surgical implants by a clinic-laboratory interaction.
Clinical performance of artificial materials can be predicted and improved by investigation of the retrieved devices that have been in clinical use, by a translational research approach, addressing biocompatibility and assessment of physical behavior.