Level of Study
Objectives and Content
The aim of the course is to introduce the main techniques of quantitative analysis employed by both physical- and human geographers, and to enable the students to use computer software in the analysis of quantitative data.
The course will cover methods that are commonly applied when analyzing quantitative data in geography. This includes descriptive statistics, probability distributions, hypothesis testing, correlation- and regression analysis, and an introduction to multivariate analysis.
A student who has completed the course should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- knows what quantitative data are, how they are collected, and how they can be applied
- has adequate knowledge about descriptive statistics
- possesses an overview of methods used to investigate the relationship between different types of variables and datasets
- has basic knowledge about multivariate analysis
- knows how to present data graphically
- can perform basic quantitative analysis using a relevant statistical software
- can perform basic hypothesis testing
- knows how to assess the significance of results from statistical analyses
- is familiar with the basic terms related to statistics and quantitative analysis
- is able to do an assessment of which statistical methods are most suitable for analyzing different types of data
Required Previous Knowledge
Teaching and learning methods
One 2-hour lecture a week
In total 5-6 lectures
One 2-hour data lab/seminar a week
In total 3-4 data labs/seminars
The course will be taught in January and February, with exam in February
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Four-five mandatory assignments. These exercises need to be approved before the students can take their exam.
Forms of Assessment
3 hours written exam
A relevant package of statistical programs will be used in data labs.
GEO204 will be evaluated minimum every third semester.
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. The exam location will be published 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written exam
- 21.02.2018, 09:00
- 3 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination result announcement
- Examination system
- Digital exam
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 3. etg.