Objectives and Content
This course in an introduction to Latin for students in nutritional sciences, dentistry, and medicine. The course will provide students with knowledge about the classical Latin nominal and declension system for use in the construction of Latin medical terms. The student will acquire skills in using and comprehending these terms in their studies and perusal of relevant literature.
At the end of the course, the students will have following learning outcomes defined by knowledge, skills, and general competences.
Knowledge: The students..
- have acquired knowledge about the classical Latin nominal and declension system
- have acquired thorough knowledge about the principles behind the construction of Latin medical terms
Skills: The students..
- are able to use their knowledge to construct Latin medical terms, particularly within anatomy
- are able to use their knowledge to interpret, understand, and assess these terms in their studies and in the literature
General competences: The students..
- are able to reflect on the value of the classical nomenclature and show insight in the field¿s tradition
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
MEDOD1 3 stp
Access to the Course
Bachelor programme in Human Nutrition
Teaching Methods and Extent of Organized Teaching
The teaching includes lectures and teacher-led colloquia.
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
A short test during the semester must be completed to be eligible for the final examination.
Forms of Assessment
2 hour written exam
Pass / Fail
Written evaluation using electronic/digital evaluation tool.
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 15.12.2022, 09:00
- 2 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam