Objectives and Content
To give an introduction to statistical methods and suited to students of science. Together with STAT110 it is a natural unit in statistics.
Comparisons of two samples, analysis of variance and experimental design. Bivariate normal distribution, correlation and simple regression. An introduction to nonparametric methods and Bayesian statistics is also given. Examples are given from several areas of application. Some topics from probability theory are also covered, such as transformations of random variables, moment generating function and order statistics. Use of the statistical software package R.
- Can use basic statistical methods, and understand the mathematical foundation of these
- Understands the principles for data analysis
- Bivariate normal distribution and correlation
- Order statistics
- Confidence intervals and tests for variances
- Regression analysis
- Goodness of fit tests and contingency tables.
- Analysis of variance: one and two ways
- Nonparametric methods (Wilcoxon)
- Bayesian methods
- The statistical software package R
- Has a practical understanding of the probability concept as it used broadly in society
- Perform and interpret statistical analyses
- Can program in the software package R, and can interpret output from R
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
Written examination: 5 hours.
Examination support materials: Non- programmable calculator, according to model listed in faculty regulations
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.
ECON240: 3 ECTS
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam. The exam location will be published 14 days prior to the exam. Candidates must check their room allocation on Studentweb 3 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 19.09.2019, 09:00
- 5 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Solheimsgt. 18 (Administrasjonsbygget), Eksamenslokale 2. etg.