Study permit

Residence Permit for Studies

International students moving to Norway must apply for a residence permit for studies, also called a study permit.


  • Students staying in Norway for less than three months: You must check with the Norwegian authorithies, if you need to apply for a student permit. Vistors visas are only issued for up to 90 days and will not cover stays beyond this period. 
  • Nordic citizens: Swedish, Danish, Icelandic and Finnish citizens do not need a study permit to study in Norway, but should register with the National Registry if living in Norway for more than 6 months.

Relevant information based on citizenship 

Citizens from EU/EEA and Switzerland do not need to apply for a residence permit, but must register with the Police if staying in Norway for more than 3 months. 
Application procedures for EU/EEA/EFTA citizens

Non-EU/EEA/EFTA citizens should apply for a study permit immediately after receiving your Letter of Acceptance from UiB. 
Application procedures for Non-EU/EEA/EFTA citizens