Study Permit

Residence permit for citizens from outside the EU/EEA area

Non-EU/EEA citizens must apply for a study permit after receiving the Letter of Acceptance from the University of Bergen.

Main content

How to apply for a study permit

As a general rule, your study permit should be applied for and granted before you travel to Norway. Apply as soon as you have all the required documents as the processing of your application may take several weeks.

  1. Print UDI's checklist and gather the necessary documents
  2. Create an account on UDI's Application Portal and
    • Submit your online application
    • Pay the application fee (currently NOK 4900)
    • Register the UiB's organization number: 874 789 542
    • Book an appointment to hand in your documents
  3. Hand in the application and documents in person at the nearest embassy

Always check the updated application procedures for your country at UDI's website.

Required documentation

  • Letter of Acceptance: Letter which confirms full-time admission etc. Sent by email or uploaded on Søknadsweb.
  • Documentation of adequate and secure housing: A copy of the tenancy agreement must included in your application.
  • Documentation of funds (2021/2022): You must document sufficient funds to cover living expenses when applying for a study permit:
    • Students staying for the autumn semester 2021 only: NOK 56 145
    • Students staying for two semesters (2021/2022) or longer: NOK 123.519
    • Students staying for the spring semester 2022 only: NOK 67 374

For more information, please check UDI.no

How to document financing

Master's degree students

  1. Start the residence permit application process after receiving the Letter of Acceptance from the University of Bergen.
  2. Transfer the required amount to Sammen's deposit account*.
  3. UiB will send you a confirmation receipt by email as soon as possible after your transfer.
  4. Submit the above mentioned receipt with your application for a study permit.
  5. The money will be returned to you when you have arrived in Bergen.

SAMMEN (the Student Welfare Organisation in Bergen) offers welfare services for students and runs the deposit account for international students.

Please contact us about the process at admission@uib.no before you transfer money.

Exchange students at UiB

Use your Letter of Acceptance from UiB as documentation:

  1. Upload documentation of funds on Søknadsweb as part of the application procedures to UiB.
  2. UiB will include a confirmation of sufficient funds in your Letter of Acceptance.
  3. Submit the Letter of Acceptance with your application for a study permit at the nearest embassy in order to document both admission to UiB and sufficient funds for your stay in Norway.

Many of you will have a confirmation of sufficient funds included in your Letter of Acceptance. If you do not have such a confirmation, you should follow the same procedures as for Master's degree students.

Other students

If you are studying at UiB for 1-2 semesters, you should enquire about how you should document sufficient funds during the admission process to UiB.


Useful tips:

  • Remember to start the application process early.
  • Check application procedures for your country.
  • Gather all the required documents.
  • Book the online appointment at the nearest ambassy/consular section (Norway does not have consular services in every country).