Study permit for citizens from outside the EU/EFTA area
Non-EU/EFTA citizens must apply for a study permit after receiving the Letter of Acceptance from the University of Bergen.
How to apply for a study permit
As a general rule, your study permit should be applied for and granted before you travel to Norway. Apply as soon as you have all the required documents as the processing of your application may take several weeks.
- Print UDI's checklist and gather the necessary documents
- Create an account on UDI's Application Portal and
- Submit your online application
- Pay the application fee (currently NOK 5900)
- Register the UiB's organization number: 874 789 542
- Book an appointment to hand in your documents in person at the nearest embassy or VFS centres.
Always check the updated application procedures for your country at UDI's website.
- Letter of Acceptance: Letter which confirms full-time admission etc. Sent by email or uploaded on Søknadsweb.
- Documentation of adequate and secure housing: A copy of the tenancy agreement must included in your application.
- Documentation of funds (2023/2024): You must document sufficient funds to cover living expenses when applying for a study permit:
- Students staying for the autumn semester 2023 only: NOK.62.685
- Students staying for two semesters (2023/2024) or longer: NOK 137.907
- Students staying for the spring semester 2024 only: NOK 75.222
For more information, please check UDI.no
How to document financing
Exchange students at UiB
Use your Letter of Acceptance from UiB as documentation:
- Upload documentation of funds on Søknadsweb as part of the application procedures to UiB.
- UiB will include a confirmation of sufficient funds in your Letter of Acceptance*.
- Submit the Letter of Acceptance with your application for a study permit at the nearest embassy in order to document both admission to UiB and sufficient funds for your stay in Norway.
If you have any inquiries regarding documentation of finance for exchange students, please contact at email@example.com
Full degree master students
- Start the residence permit application process after receiving the Letter of Acceptance from the University of Bergen.
- Transfer the required amount to Sammen's deposit account*.
- UiB will send you a confirmation receipt by email as soon as possible after your transfer.
- Submit the above mentioned receipt with your application for a study permit.
- The money will be returned to you when you have arrived in Bergen.
The Student Welfare Organisation in Bergen (SAMMEN), has established a student deposit account according to the requirements from The Norwegian Inmigration Authorities (UDI). This account is mainly for first time admitted international students that must transfer the required amount from their home country to obtain a student residence permit in Norway.
Please contact us about the process at firstname.lastname@example.org before you transfer money.
If you are studying at UiB for 1-2 semesters, you should enquire about how you should document sufficient funds during the admission process to UiB.
- Remember to start the application process early.
- Check application procedures for your country.
- Gather all the required documents.
- Book the online appointment at the nearest ambassy/consular section (Norway does not have consular services in every country).