Marte Bjørk primarily works with population-based studies on people with neurological diseases. She investigates among other how a mother’s epilepsy affects pregnancy, birth and child development. She is also involved in research on the underlying causes of migraine attacks through the use of neurophysiological methods.
Main supervisor for 2 PhD candidates in neuroepidemiology. Bedside teaching of medical students in the field of clinical neurology.
- 2019. Praktisk håndtering av hodepine. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 139: 617-620. doi: 10.4045/tidsskr.18.0837
- 2018. Verbal abilities in children of mothers with epilepsy: Association to maternal folate status. Neurology. 91: e811-e821. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000006073
- 2017. Association of folic acid supplementation during pregnancy with the risk of autistic traits in children exposed to antiepileptic drugs in utero. JAMA Neurology. 75: 160-168. doi: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2017.3897
- 2017. Young people with epilepsy have an increased risk of eating disorder and poor quality diet. Epilepsia Open. 6 pages. doi: 10.1002/epi4.12089
- 2017. Alterations in post-movement beta event related synchronization throughout the migraine cycle: A controlled, longitudinal study. Cephalalgia. 38: 718-729. doi: 10.1177/0333102417709011
- 2015. En mann i 50-årene med høyt ferritinnivå og økende kognitiv svikt. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 135: 1369-1372.
- 2015. Depression and anxiety during pregnancy and the postpartum period in women with epilepsy: A review of frequency, risks and recommendations for treatment. Seizure. 28: 39-45. doi: 10.1016/j.seizure.2015.02.016
- 2015. Depression and anxiety in women with epilepsy during pregnancy and after delivery: a prospective population-based cohort study on frequency, risk factors, medication, and prognosis. Epilepsia. 56: 28-39. doi: 10.1111/epi.12884
- 2015. Epilepsy and eating disorders during pregnancy: Prevalence, complications and birth outcome. Seizure. 28: 81-84. doi: 10.1016/j.seizure.2015.02.014
- 2015. Psychiatric comorbidity, social aspects and quality of life in a population-based cohort of expecting fathers with epilepsy. PLoS ONE. 10. 15 pages. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0144159
- 2015. Epilepsy and recommendations for breastfeeding. Seizure. 28: 57-65. doi: 10.1016/j.seizure.2015.02.013
- 2014. M.H. Bjørk & I.O. Gjerde svarer:. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 134: 1549. doi: 10.4045/tidsskr.14.0932
- 2014. Using the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study to determine risk factors for delayed development and neuro-psychiatric symptoms in the offspring of parents with epilepsy. Norsk Epidemiologi. 24: 79-89.
- 2014. Sleep quality and arousal in migraine and tension-type headache: The headache-sleep study. Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, Supplementum. 129: 47-54. doi: 10.1111/ane.12237
- 2014. Sleep quality, arousal and pain thresholds in tension-type headache: A blinded controlled polysomnographic study. Cephalalgia. 34: 455-463. doi: 10.1177/0333102413515339
- 2014. Spasmer i beina – skade i nakken. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 134: 1150. doi: 10.4045/tidsskr.13.0869
- 2014. Diffusion-weighted lesions in acute ischaemic stroke patients with migraine. Acta Neurologica Scandinavica. 129: 41-46. doi: 10.1111/ane.12236
- 2013. Sleep-related and non-sleep-related migraine: interictal sleep quality, arousals and pain thresholds. The Journal of Headache and Pain. 14. 9 pages. doi: 10.1186/1129-2377-14-68
- 2013. Answer to comment on "sleep quality, arousal and pain thresholds in migraineurs: a blinded controlled polysomnographic study". The Journal of Headache and Pain. 14: 14-56. doi: 10.1186/1129-2377-14-56
- 2013. Sleep quality, arousal and pain thresholds in migraineurs: a blinded controlled polysomnographic study. The Journal of Headache and Pain. 14. 10 pages. doi: 10.1186/1129-2377-14-12
- 2013. Er EEG en nyttig undersøkelse i voksenpsykiatrien? Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 133: 1200-1204. doi: 10.4045/tidsskr.12.1253
- 2012. Subjective and objective sleep quality related to pain thresholds in tension type headache and controls. Journal of Sleep Research. 21: 176-176.
- 2011. Brev til redaktørenMarte-Helene Bjørk og medarbeidere svarer:. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 131: 2334. doi: 10.4045/tidsskr.11.1118
- 2011. Cerebrale arterielle karspasmer. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. 131: 1558. doi: 10.4045/tidsskr.10.1427
- 2011. Forstyrrelser i hjernen ved migrene. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. Published 2011-05-06.
- 2011. Photic EEG-driving responses related to ictal phases and trigger sensitivity in migraine: A longitudinal, controlled study. Cephalalgia. 31: 444-455. doi: 10.1177/0333102410385582
- 2011. What initiates a migraine attack? Conclusions from four longitudinal studies of quantitative EEG and steady-state visual-evoked potentials in migraineurs. Acta Neurologica Scandinavica. 124: 56-63. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0404.2011.01545.x
- 2010. Photic EEG-driving responses (SSVEPs) are depressed in migraine without aura within a true interictal interval. European Journal of Neurology. 17: 659-659.
- 2010. The EEG response to photic stimulation is not increased in alcohol-related seizures. Clinical Neurophysiology. 121: 1810-1815. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2010.04.008
- 2010. Quantitative EEG in Patients With Alcohol-Related Seizures. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 34: 1751-1758. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-0277.2010.01262.x
- 2009. Interictal quantitative EEG in migraine: a blinded controlled study. The Journal of Headache and Pain. 10: 331-339. doi: 10.1007/s10194-009-0140-4
- 2009. The occipital alpha rhythm related to the "migraine cycle" and headache burden: a blinded, controlled longitudinal study. Clinical Neurophysiology. 120: 464-471. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2008.11.018
- 2008. Quantitative EEG power and asymmetry increase 36 h before a migraine attack. Cephalalgia. 28: 960-968. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2982.2008.01638.x
- 2008. Quantitative EEG findings in patients with acute, brief depression combined with other fluctuating psychiatric symptoms: a controlled study from an acute psychiatric department. BMC Psychiatry. 8. doi: 10.1186/1471-244X-8-89
- 2006. The alpha rhythm in migraine: a longitudinal EEG study. Scotland Clin Neurophysiol. 117: 139-139.
- 2005. Quantitative electroencephalography (QEEG) in migraine. Cephalalgia. 25: 882.
- 2011. Do Brain Rhythms Change before the Migraine Attack? A Longitudinal Controlled EEG Study. NTNU, Trondheim. 45 pages.
- 2018. Perinatal depression in neurological disease and disability. 34. In:
- 2018. Neurological Diseases and Pregnancy: A Coordinated Care Model for Best Management. Oxford University Press. 416 pages. ISBN: 9780190667351.
- Marte Bjørk, Gyri Veiby, Simone F. Reiter, Jan Ø. Berle, Anne Kjersti Daltveit, Olav Spigset, Bernt A, Engelsen, Nils Erik Gilhus.Depression and anxiety in women with epilepsy during pregnancy and after delivery: a prospective population-based cohort study on frequency, risk factors, medication, and prognosis. Epilepsia. 2015;56(1):28-39.
- Eivind Kolstad, Nils Erik Gilhus, Gyri Veiby, Simone F. Reiter, Morten I. Lossius, Marte Helene Bjørk. Epilepsy and eating disorders during pregnancy: Prevalence, complications and birth outcome. Seizure. 2015 May;28:81-4
- Marte Bjørk, Gyri Veiby, Bernt A. Engelsen, Nils Erik Gilhus. Depression and anxiety during pregnancy and the postpartum period in women with epilepsy; a review of frequency, risks and recommendations for treatment. Seizure. 2015;28:33-39.Review.
- Morten Engstrøm, Knut Hagen, Marte Bjørk, Lars Jacob Stovner, Marit Stjern, Trond Sand.Sleep quality, arousal and pain thresholds in tension-type headache. A blinded controlled polysomnographic study. Cephalalgia 2014;34(6):455-63
- Marte Bjørk, Knut Hagen, Lars Jacob Stovner, Trond Sand. Photic EEG-driving responses related to ictal phases and trigger sensitivity in migraine: a longitudinal, controlled study. Cephalalgia 2011; 31:444-455
Born in 1980. Partner, 3 children.
Education: Cand med 2007. Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Department of Neuroscience (INM), Norway, Trondheim (NTNU).
PhD in Neuroscience, NTNU 2011. The PhD dissertation concerned brain rhythms’ relevance for understanding migraine attack-initiating mechanisms.
From 2010 resident doctor at the Department of Neurology, Haukeland University Hospital, and 50 % position as postdoc at the Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Bergen since 2012.
Link to page at Researchgate.