- Phone+47 55 58 69 77
- Visitor AddressLars Hilles gt. 3BergenRoom310
- Postal AddressPostboks 78005020 Bergen
My research area is mainly on jazz education, where I work on a project on different perspectives on institutionalizaiton of learning practices in jazz. This work is based on jazz studies in higher education in the US, where seven interviews with jazz educators in the US is my original data. I am also active in artistic research, where I mainly focus on historical performing practice of jazz from late 1920s/early 1930s.
From 2021 my research focus will also be on African education, especially related to the CABUTE-project where I am the PI.
I teach at two studies at The Grieg Academy, Department of Music. My main teaching duty is at our Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), where I teach educational psychology and music didactics. I also teach at our Jazz Studies, and my subjects are jazz theory and jazz history. I have been the coordinator for all study trips we have had for the jazzstudents. Here is a presentation of our trip to New Orleans in October 2014.
- (2020). Louis Armstrong. Store Norske Leksikon (Nettutgaven).
- (2019). Developing a National Curriculum in Music - Comparing Developments in Uganda and Norway.
- (2017). Special 500-year Anniversary jazz mass concert for Luther Reformation, Fyllingsdalen Congregation, Bergen, Norway (October 15, 2017). David Hebert, soloist on trumpet and voice with Bønes Brass, led by Steinar Satre.
- (2017). Amerikanske jazzbyer på 1920/30-tallet - et konsertforedrag med Louisiana Washboard Five, David Skinner m.fl..
- (2016). Professor Hot Stuff.
- (2016). Bønes Brass senior community band’s 30th anniversary concert, with Bergen Brass Band. Steinar Sætre, the main conductor, conducted most pieces, some of which were his own arrangements, and played solo improvisations on saxophone and clarinet. David Hebert sang a solo (bass baritone) “Ol’ Man River”, and was conductor for two pieces (Troldhaugen concert hall, home of Edvard Grieg, Bergen, Norway, November 19, 2016).
- (2015). “Symposium on Informal Music Learning”, Co-hosted by Silje Valde Onsrud and David Hebert, Center for Arts, Culture, and Communication, Bergen University College, Norway (February 12, 2015).
- (2015). You Taught My Heart to Sing: Konsert for Stein Bakke.
- (2015). Teaching Improvisation for Real – philosophical and didactical issues related to the process of teaching students how to be high-skilled jazz improvisers.
- (2015). Steinar Saetre and David Hebert, “Rethinking the Institutionalization of Jazz Learning,” Ninth International Symposium on the Sociology of Music Education, Loyola University, New Orleans, USA (June 14-17, 2015).
- (2015). Shannon Powell and his Norwegian Quintet feat. Tricia Boutté.
- (2015). Reconsidering improvisation (Summarizing session).
- (2012). What is the function of books as artifact in jazz education?
- (2012). Jazz, læring og kommunikasjon (konsertforedrag).
- (2012). Jazz, læring og kommunikasjon (konsertforedrag).
- (2012). Changes in learning practice in jazz: how do current descriptions on institutionalization of jazz culture and jazz education relate to the practical theory of jazz educators?”.
- (2012). Back to New Orleans.
- (2010). Changes in Learning Practice in Jazz: Seeing Changes in a Historical Perspective.
- (2009). Dikting i ord og tonar - Om komponisten Per Indrehus si tonesetjing av norske dikt.
- (2008). Om dikting i ord og tonar. 11 pages.
- (2008). Jol.
- (2008). Jakob Sande-musikken – framhevar eller løyner han dikta?
- (2007). Back to New Orleans : Jubileumskonsert for Arna Kyrkjes Kammerkor.
- (2005). Skapende arbeid i musikk.
- (2005). Kan vi stole på PISA-testen? Haugesunds avis.
- (2000). Researching Development of Skills and Knowledge in Jazz Improvisation - Some Methodological Problems.
- (1999). Prestasjonsangst og fokusert energi. Musikkorpsavisa.
- (1999). "Chicago-jazz i bilder, ord og toner" (konsertforedrag med Louisiana Washboard Five, Sigbjørn Apeland og Tone Lise Moberg).
- (1998). Ulike psykologiske strategier for prestasjonsforberedeles i musikkutøving.
- (1998). Konsertanmeldelse: Paris All-Star. Haugesunds avis.
- (1998). Konsertanmeldelse: John Pizzarelli. Haugesunds avis.
- (1998). Konsertanmeldelse: Arne Domnerus. Haugesunds avis.
- (1998). Festivalrapport fra Sildajazz. Jazznytt.
More information in national current research information system (CRIStin)
- CABUTE - Capacity Building for Research-Based Teacher Education - NORHED II project for capacity building of teacher education in Uganda in the subjects English, mathematics, music and pedagogy. Project period 2021-2026. (NORAD-funded project).
- JAZZ AND ARTISTIC RESEARCH - Establishment of collaboration at master's / PhD level between the University of Bergen, the Grieg Academy and Loyola University, School of Music, New Orleans, USA. (Funded with support from SIU - Center for Internationalization of Education.)
- ARTISTIC RESEARCH AND INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION WITHIN HIGHER EDUCATION - Establishment of a jazz consortium with the University of Bergen and universities in Georgia, South Africa and the USA. (Funded with support from SPIRE - Strategic Program for International Research and Education, UiB.)
- CHANGES IN LEARNING PRACTICE IN JAZZ - TOWARDS A MORE HOLISTIC APPROACH FOR TEACHING JAZZ IMPROVISATION SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE. (PhD project in pedagogy at UiB, Faculty of Psychology.) Supervisor: Professor Arild Raaheim, UiB Co-supervisors: Associate Professor Tone Sævi, NLA and David Hebert, HiB.
- Professor Hot Stuff, Louisiana Washboard Five/Aurelié Tropez/John Pål Inderberg (Herman Records, 2016)
- Futuristic Rhythm, Louisiana Washboard Five/Keith Nichols/Matthias Seuffert (Stomp Off Records, 2004)
- Ace of Rhythm, Louisiana Washboard Five/Keith Nichols (Herman Records, 2000)
- Doctor Jazz, Louisiana Washboard Five (Herman Records, 1998)