Please read through these instructions before filling in the application form. You way change and update your application until the deadline.
Make sure you complete the two complementary parts of the application process.
Part one creates the application. Part two registers your application in the University of Bergen application system. No other forms of application will be accepted.
Below, you find the link to part one. When you successfully complete part one, you will get a confirmation email with a link to part two and instructions of how to proceed.
Please note that BSRS 2022 will be held online. A reliable internet connection is neccesary in order to participate.
The Bergen Summer Research School offers PhD candidates and junior researchers the opportunity to work together with internationally renowned scholars.
In order to participate, you need to have a good command of the English language. Full participation in the course-specific modules, reading of the provided literature prior to the summer school, and participation in all plenary online events is required.
You may take only one of the six parallel courses.
Upon acceptance, you will be asked to submit a short essay of 2-4 pages from your own research on a research question decided by the course leader. This will be used as the base for presenting your research to the rest of the course participants.
Participation at the BSRS will be credited under the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).
You are expected to write an essay (in a form of a publishable manuscript of 10-20 pages) to be submitted after the end of the summer school. This will give a total of 10 ECTS. Deadline for submission will be decided by your course leader.
It is also possible to participate without producing an essay. This will give you 4 ECTS.
You will have access to the electronic resources of the University Library, from time of acceptance until the end of May 2023.
Before you start your application, please check that you have the required academic background. Only applicants who meet the requirements will be considered.
The courses are designed for PhD level and are open to:
- Candidates currently enrolled in a PhD programme
- Junior researchers — including those in their last stages of their master programme, with extensive working experience, and those who have recently completed their PhD, or are enrolled in a post-doc programme.
Create the application
Before you start the application process, make sure you have the following documents:
- Abstract of your ongoing research (maximum 250 words). Please outline main objectives, framework of the research, and method(s).
- Motivational letter (maximum 500 words) which should include:
- Your research interest in the topic of the course of interest
- Your expectations for the course
- What you hope to gain from attending BSRS
- Your CV and educational background
- Your current position
- Your highest achieved degree and from which institution
- Educational background (maximum 500 words)
- Work experience (maximum 500 words)
- Publications - up to ten publications, if any
- Your English proficiency, as it is the only language of instruction and communication
Upon submission, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions of how to continue to part two of your application. If you do not receive this confirmation within 24 hours, please check your spam/junk mail before contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You may start the application, save it, and resume until the application deadline.
Register the application
Follow the instructions in the confirmation email you receive after you have submitted your application in part one, follow the instruction and the link
In order to register your application at the University of Bergen, you need the following documents:
- The application (pdf) you find attached to the confirmation email
- A scanned copy of your ID (e.g. passport/ identity card/ driving license)
- Transcript/diploma of your highest degree
- A letter of recommendation signed by your supervisor
- A letter verifying your qualifications and current position signed by the head of your institution/department
Please note that the two letters must be written on official stationary of your institution and stamped.
Your application is officially complete when:
- You have filled in your complete home/residential address
- You have selected a course(s)
- You have uploaded all the required documents
- You have received confirmation by email
You can change or update your application until 15 February 2022. We plan to complete the selection process by the end of March.