Institutt for politikk og forvaltning


There has not been added a translated version of this content. You can either try searching or go to the "area" home page to see if you can find the information there
International students

Incoming students to the Department of Government

The Department of Government welcomes you as an international student to Bergen. Here you will find more information on what we can offer our incoming students.



Why study Political science/Public Administration in Bergen?

Courses in English

Autumn semester:

Spring semester:

Please note: 100- and 200-level are bachelor level courses (open courses). 300-level is masters level and is open only to graduate/MA students upon application (restricted courses). Courseselection may vary from semester to semester. 

Incoming students may combine courses from the whole Faculty of Social Sciences. Click here for an overview of courses in English at the University of Bergen.

Before arrival

Application periods

Master's programme in Politics and Governance of Global Challenges (GLGOV):

Follow these links to find the general entry requirements and guidelines on how to apply:

Exchange students:

Spring semester (January to June): September 1st - October 15th

Autumn semester (August to December): March 15th - April 25th

More information on what to do before arrival

  • Apply for exchange / full degree
  • Student housing
  • Residence permit
  • Students with special needs

See this page for more information

After arrival

As a new student in Bergen you will have many questions. You will be invited to attend an information meeting at the faculty.

On the web pages for new students you will find more information on:

  • Semester startup help desk
  • Semester dates and deadlines
  • Arrival and directions
  • Faculty information centres
  • Student organizations and campus life

 The student pages will help you manage your studies, find public services and discover what's what in the Bergen Student Life.


The Information Centre at The Faculty of Social Sciences can help you with questions regarding our study programs admission, registration, exams, counselling services, confirmations, Learning Agreement, etc.

  • Opening hours: Monday - Friday: 10.00-14.00
  • Address: Lauritz Meltzers Hus (The faculty building), Fosswinckels gate 6, 3rd floor
  • Phone: +47 55 58 98 50
  • E-mail


  • Where can I get my signatures on the Learning agreement and Confirmation of Arrival/Departure?

The Information Centre at The Faculty of Social Sciences can help you with this.

  • Can I change courses after arrival?

Yes, the deadline for semester registration is September 1st and February 1st.

  • I will arrive after the registration deadline. What do I do?

You have to notify the incoming team and Sammen housing of your late arrival. Contact the information centre after coming to Bergen.

  • What course level should I choose?

100: BA-level. 15 or 10 ECTS courses meant to give a broad approach to the topic. Usually not necessary with pre-requirements within the topic. Open to all students.

200: BA-level. 15 or 10 ECTS courses meant to give a more specialized approach to the topic. May be recommended to have some prior knowledge in political science, but not a condition. Open to all students.

300: MA-level. Advanced courses suitable for MA/graduate level students. You need to have a undergraduate degree in political science or equivalent to be accepted.

  • I am a third year student, should I take 100-level courses?

100-level does not equal "Introduction to.....". The BA programme students may take 100-level courses in their 1-5 semester. If you have had courses within the same topic before then you should discuss it with your home institution. You can find an overview of the academic system here.

  • Two of my exams are on the same day. What do I do?

If you choose courses from different departments, exam dates and teaching schedules may conflict. You should change one of the courses before the registration deadline.

  •  I want to stay for another semester. Is it possible?

Yes, you can stay up to 2 semesters, as long as this is permitted by your home university. Apply to extend your study period here.

  • How do I order a transcript of records?

You can order this on StudentWeb to be sent by post. Remember to change your address if you have returned home. Read more about how to do order your transcript of records here.