Jeroen P. Van der Sluijs
- Phone+47 55 58 27 95
- Visitor AddressAllégaten 34Postboks 78055020 BergenRoom2nd floor (room 205)
- Postal AddressPostboks 78055020 BERGEN
My research seeks to increase our understanding of the phenomenon and dynamics of scientific controversy on contemporary old, new and emerging environmental and health risks.
I work or have worked on contested science in the fields of climate change, pollinator decline, fish stock assessments, endocrine disruptors, elcetromagnetic fields, nanoparticles, underground storage of CO2, risk migration in sustainable technologies.
Read our new book "Science on the verge"
See my video-lecture Responsible Evidence Appraisal
Videostream of lecture on Responsible Evidence Appraisal at the Bergen Exchanges on Law and Social Transformation (24 Aug 2016) (slides with refs)
Interview in Morgenbladet on Post Normal Science: Fakta, faen (in Norwegian) (23 Sept 2016)
MNF990 Vitenskapsteori med etikk (tidligere kjent som MNF490!)
Here is the schedule for the autumn of 2017:
Deadline final essay: 2.5 weeks after the final session
*Disclaimer: dates to be confirmed.
- 2017. Post-normal science in practice. Futures : The journal of policy, planning and futures studies. 91: 1-4. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.futures.2017.05.009
- 2016. Screening regional management options for their impact on climate resilience: an approach and case study in the Venen-Vechtstreek wetlands in the Netherlands. SpringerPlus. 5:750: 1-17. doi: 10.1186/s40064-016-2408-x
- 2016. Pollinators and Global Food Security: the Need for Holistic Global Stewardship. Food Ethics. Published 2016-04-15. doi: 10.1007/s41055-016-0003-z
- 2015. Risks of large-scale use of systemic insecticides to ecosystem functioning and services. Environmental science and pollution research international. 22: 119-134. doi: 10.1007/s11356-014-3277-x
- 2015. Effects of neonicotinoids and fipronil on non-target invertebrates. Environmental science and pollution research international. 22: 68-102. doi: 10.1007/s11356-014-3471-x
- 2015. Systemic insecticides (neonicotinoids and fipronil): trends, uses, mode of action and metabolites. Environmental science and pollution research international. 22: 5-34. doi: 10.1007/s11356-014-3470-y
- 2015. Dealing with uncertainties in fresh water supply: experiences in the Netherlands. Water resources management. 31: 703-725. doi: 10.1007/s11269-015-1198-1
- 2015. Critical appraisal of assumptions in chains of model calculations used to project local climate impacts for adaptation decision support-the case of Baakse Beek. Environmental Research Letters. 10:04500. doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/10/4/045005
- 2014. Uncertainty of population risk estimates for pathogens based on QMRA or epidemiology: a case study of Campylobacter in the Netherlands. Risk Analysis. 34: 847-864. doi: 10.1111/risa.12153
- 2014. Biodiversity reports need author rules. Nature. 516: 170-170. Published 2014-12-11. doi: 10.1038/516170c
- 2014. Qualichem in vivo: A tool for assessing the quality of in vivo studies and its application for Bisphenol A. PLoS ONE. 9. 16 pages. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0087738
- 2014. Bijen en insecticiden: late lessen uit vroege waarschuwingen. Milieu Dossier. 20: 37-41.
- 2014. Conclusions of the Worldwide Integrated Assessment on the risks of neonicotinoids and fipronil to biodiversity and ecosystem functioning. Environmental science and pollution research international. 22: 148-154. doi: 10.1007/s11356-014-3229-5
- 2014. Advisory letter The health risks of Bisphenol A analogues. The Health Council of the Netherlands, The Hague. 8 pages.
- 2014. Briefadvies Risicocommunicatie op een nieuwe leest schoeien. The Health Council of the Netherlands, The Hague. 12 pages.
- 2014. The future social robustness of smart electricity networks in Europe. Utrecht University, Utrecht. 57 pages.
- 2014. Dealing with uncertainty in climate adaptation decision-making. Chapter 2, pages 17-40. In:
- 2014. Adapting to an Uncertain Climate – Lessons from Practice. Springer. 182 pages. ISBN: 978-3-319-04875-8.
- 2014. Climate change and health in the Netherlands. chapter 4.2.5, pages 96-102. In:
Co-Cli-Serv Co-development of place-based climate services for action (JPI Climate ERA 4CS) [2017-2020] (Spin-off of UC4A!)
Mainstreaming Sensitivity Analysis and Uncertainty Auditing (Peder Sather Grant) [July 2017 - June 2018] (with Philip Stark, UC Berkeley; Andrea Saltelli UiB and Leif Hellevik, NTNU)
Partner in PARENT, Participatory platform for sustainable energy management (EU JPI Urban Europe) [March 2016 - February 2019]
Go Figure: Visualizing Climate Change (FIGO) (SAMKUL Researcher Network)
ELSA of SALMOSTERILE
Recently finalized projects:
EPINET (FP7) http://www.epinet.no/
PI of UC4A [Understanding Cultural Conditions for Climate Change Adaptation] (SAMKUL Researcher Network, Norwegian Research Council) [2015-2016]