PARticipatory platform for sustainable Energy managemenT
The PARENT project will increase, in a socially acceptable manner, the engagement of individuals in the responsible management of their own electricity usage. The project, executed in a constant and close dialogue with stakeholders will develop an innovative platform for participatory energy management, fuelled by novel analytics, visualisation and gamification techniques to stimulate behavioural change.
The energy trilemma – the provision of affordable, reliable and sustainable energy to society – requires energy to be generated, distributed, consumed and managed and governed in a novel way. In order to answer the pressing needs of more efficient energy management, the PARENT project has a three-fold goal:
- to expand an innovative participatory energy management platform, targeting – as a case-study – home electricity usage in four cities;
- to provide a set of practical recommendations on how such a platform would contribute to the increasing of energy efficiency at local, regional, national and European levels;
- to offer state-of-the art knowledge in the field.
PARENT aims to increase engagement of individuals in the responsible management of their own electricity usage, by supporting and stimulating improvements in household energy consumption. PARENT will develop a platform for participatory energy management, fueled by community building and social engagement, visualization and gamification techniques.
Ample attention will be paid to social acceptability. Indeed, PARENT will operate in three cities in Europe (Amsterdam, Bergen, Brussels) by means of Pilots and Living Labs. It will study social acceptance within the user communities and the local contexts of these cities. With this knowledge, PARENT will develop guidelines for activating citizens to reduce household energy consumption in Europe, taking requirements for responsible innovation and public engagement into account.
Join the Pilot in Bergen!
UPDATE 28/08/2017: Due to the many responses received during the past weeks, we have completed the number of available places for the Bergen pilot. Recruitment of new participants is now halted and it will be resumed if the possibility of new available places comes up.
The Pilots form the keystone of the PARENT project. They concern the involvement of participant households in the real-life use and testing of PARENT platform. Pilot participants will help enhance the platform features and their value for energy behaviours improvements.
Any household in Bergen municipality is welcome to enrol and participate, provided they satisfy few simple requirements:
- Have Internet with Wi-Fi connection at home;
- Wi-Fi signal reaches the fusebox area at home;
- Have a power plug close to the area of the fusebox (or are willing to make a technical intervention to work around the issue).
The duration of the Bergen Pilot is approximately 12 months (Jul/Aug 2017 – Aug/Sep 2018). Enrollment and participation to BergenPilot is volunteer-based and it is free. At the end of the Pilot, participants will be entitled to keep the Smappee energy monitor. Participants are also entitled to withdraw their participation (in this case, Smappee energy monitor must be returned to PARENT, to allow others to join).
Note: The maximum number of participants in Bergen Pilot is limited. We will enroll eligible participants on a first-come-first-served basis.
What does it mean to enrol and participate to the pilot?
Participating in PARENT means to participate in a research project that will perform data gathering and research activities based on that participation. In short:
- You will receive a sub-metering device (Smappee energy monitor) for installation and use in your home and, at a second stage, you will also receive access to the extended functionalities of PARENT platform;
- You shall provide authorization to PARENT to use the sub-meter data for research purposes and for the development of the enhanced platform, which will be done in compliance with EU data protection regulation;
- You will be invited to participate in research activities such as filling surveys and being interviewed or taking part to workshops and focus groups;
- You will receive information (e.g. newsletters, e-mail communications) about the PARENT Project and the Bergen Pilot.
As participant in the Bergen pilot, you will:
- receive a Smappee energy monitor and access to its functionalities through an online platform;
- be able to monitor and learn more about your electricity consumption (and production, if you have your own solar panels) through your smartphone or laptop;
- have the chance to provide your input, criticisms and suggestions for the improvement of the platform or about how to create citizen engagement for reducing energy consumption;
- become part of acollective effort to explore innovative ways to improve household energy consumption, together with other pilot project participants (in Bergen, Amsterdam and Brussels).
How to join
If you would like to be part of PARENT’s Bergen Pilot, please fill the online form for a preliminary, non-bindingenrollment at this URL: https://goo.gl/forms/ZUEWgsPn5jN3J20H3
We will contact you with more information about the next steps towards becoming formally enrolled and getting Smappee energy monitor delivered to you.
For any question or clarification you can write an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Stakeholders and Bergen Living Lab
Engagement of stakeholders at the city level will be pursued and maintained to seek their feedback and integrate it into the development of the platform, by means of Living Lab meetings.
Three Living Lab meetings will take place in each of the three cities involved in PARENT. They will happen in parallel to the runnig of the respective pilots.
For Bergen, the following local stakehodlers have joined the Living ab and will take part in the forthcoming meetings: