Useful information for staff members
The following is an overview of the most important things that apply to all staff members. This document is not intended as a substitute for reading the University Handbook and Guidelines.
You can find useful and updated information in the Employee Handbook.
EMPLOYEE I.D. CARDThe Card Centre issues employee I.D. cards. The card is valid as the key card to the Centre’s front door, gives access to the Pull Print System, and serves as your library card for the University Library. A separate form is filled out and signed by Judith Larsen. You are to submit the form to the Card Centre (located at the Student Centre) where they will take your picture. The card will be made for you at that time.
UPDATING YOUR PERSONAL PAGES ON THE WEB: You must update your own personal page yourself.
Operating funds for PhD and postdoctoral fellows
Research Fellows are awarded operating funds that are spread over a period of three years; in the fourth year will all remaining funds be transferred over, depending on which contact the fellow has.
Budgeted operating costs
The faculty’s operating funds cover rent, office supplies, etc. Basic office supplies are ordered by the Center’s purchasing agent Judith Larsen. We are required to use UoB’s approved suppliers, which provide discounts. Operating funds should be used to cover expenses for research purposes, such as books, special computer software, licenses, travel and lodging, seminars, conferences, miscellaneous fees and other research-related purposes. Every year you will be informed as to the status of your individual budget.
Computers/ I Pads
The Center will cover the purchases of computers and i Pads. Ask Judith for the current models available. Judith must order these for you through the university’s purchasing system.
Purchasing agent’s function (Judith)
All purchases must be placed in BASWARE by Judith and have a PM number before invoices can be paid. The university has many purchasing agreements with various firms in Norway, which we are obligated to use. The agent (Judith) must order items such as computers and group travel, hotels and flights for invited guests. She must also order office supplies, furniture, books, flowers, catering, anything connected to arrangements like for example renting meeting locations, meals at restaurants, and so on. Additionally services, such as translations/editing and website development, software licenses, printing/publishing, etc. must also go through Tone and Judith (Basware). All purchases must be approved in advance by Tone Lund-Olsen. If you have questions, please ask Judith.
Judith purchases all books from Akademika through the Basware system. Please do not purchase books yourself from Akademika. This is very important as we receive discounts as well as everything MUST go through Basware. There are two exceptions: If you buy foreign books yourself abroad or books through Amazon, you can use an Outlay of Funds form and get your money refunded in this way. Please be aware that Akademika often can obtain most books so you do not usually need to use your own money in advance. All purchases must be approved by Tone Lund-Olsen.
It is recommended that each staff member applies for a credit card, where you state that the University of Bergen is your employer. When travel is paid with the employee’s own credit card, travel insurance included. If the bill from the credit card company is due before the journey is made and/or before any money is refunded by the University of Bergen, you can request a travel advance (see: Travel advance/Other advances). The amount will be transferred to your private account; it takes from about 10 days until two weeks for the refund to be paid out. The advance is deducted from the travel expense form (see below).
One may apply for the credit cards as an employee of UoB. Fees and annual fees for credit cards are covered by the University, see: Reimbursement of expenses.
Non-Norwegian citizens will have to APPLY for a new tax card every year. You can ask Line Nævdal for help in doing this. It is normally done online using form RF-1209. If you fail to apply for the tax card, a 50% tax will be deducted from your salary. You of course will receive any overpaid tax later on after the tax card is received, but it can take time.
Booking and payment of travel
All employees need to book and pay for their own travel, such as flights, train travel, hotels, conferance registration fees, rental cars, taxis, airport buses, etc. You can use any airline and hotel you want. However, if you wish to use a travel agent you MUST use the University’s travel agent, either via the Web or telephone. Experience shows that it pays to do some research on relevant routes and airlines beforehand and then give them specific flight details. Our travel agent starting from the 1st July 2018 is G-Travel.
It is wise to use the travel agent for most travel because they also has an Emergency Plan if something during your travels should occur, such as your flight being cancelled, social unrest, and the like; the travel agent is responsible for finding alternative solutions. They are obligated to keep track of employees who are traveling that have used their services. Take immediate contact with them if something unforeseen happens.
Travel Expense Form
The Travel Expense Form needs to be submitted in both PAGAWEB within one month after the travel is completed.
Go to this link, then click on the Menu for information in English:
In PAGA web:
Fill out the form online and include scanned copies of all receipts, and then send it to VLA for control (Line).
Reimbursement of expenses in PAGAWEB (Outlay of Funds)
Please use PAGAWEB for this. Only research-related purchases that cannot be covered by ordinary purchases should be entered on the Refund of Outlay form. (All travel related expenses should be entered on the Travel Expense Form. See above.) Individual employees must not make ordinary purchases: such as office supplies, i Pads, computers and paper. Let Judith Larsen know what you need and she can order it for you.
Billing directly to the University of Bergen
In agreement with the Head of Administration, Tone Lund-Olsen, one may make purchases that are billed directly to the University of Bergen. It is important that the correct billing address and Billing-Code are used.
Invoice Address: Universitetet i Bergen, Felles fakturamottak, Postboks 7800, 5020 Bergen, Billing-Code: Ask Line or Judith for SVT's Billing-Code.
Travel advance/Other advances
Advances to cover expenses before and during the journey, are available via a special form on the intranet: Select “Administrasjon” then “Økonomi/Regnskapsportalen/skjema og maler”. Then “Reiser og refusjoner”, select “Reiseforskudd.”
The amount will be transferred into your private account in a short time. The advance is deducted from the travel expense form.
Travel reimbursement forms, reporting sick leave, registering vacations, and the like must all be registered in Pagaweb.
If you have more questions about PAGAWEB, please contact Line Nævdal. Other questions can be directed to Tone Lund-Olsen.
European Commission. Research & Innovation (EU's Framework Programme)
More (not in English):
WHO DOES WHAT IN ADMINISTRATION?
Tone, Sissel, Judith and Line’s tasks at SVT and SKOK
The joint administration at SVT and SKOK consists of five staff members in a total of 4.6 positions. The staff in the administration has the following functions and responsibilities:
Tone Lund-Olsen is the Head of Administration and is employed in a 100% position. Tone is responsible for the following tasks:
- Overall responsibility for operation and management
- Recruitment, personnel matters
- Responsible for tasks in connection with the PhD theses and doctoral defenses
- Finances and Budget
Sissel Småland Aasheim is an Advisor who is employed in a 100% position. Sissel is responsible for the following tasks:
- The Websites
- Assists in connection with publicity and media relations
- Assistance in connection with conferences, seminars and other events
- Other administrative duties
Judith Larsen is a Higher Executive Officer who is employed in an 80% position. She works every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. Judith is responsible for the following tasks:
- Administratively responsible for the Course in Theory of science and ethics, HF, VITHF900 (SVT)
- SVT-SKOK Ombudsman HSE (HMS verneombud) 2015-2016; 2017-2018
- Contact person for ARK 2016-2017
- Provides administrative support for dissertations, summer research school, meetings, seminars and conferences
- Proof-reading of English texts
- Contact person for new employees
- Booking of hotels and flights for guests
- Contact person for G-Travel for group travel. Arranges Strategy meetings for SVT every two years
- Booking of restaurants and reception rooms for courses, conferences and parties
- Ordering office supplies, furniture, books, food, and PCs/MACs though BASWARE
- Invoice processing
- Contact person for new employees
- Responsible for employee IDs (kortansvarlig)
- Front office, mail, the archives, e-Phorte, maintaining all e-mail lists and is the library contact person
- SEBRA contact person
- Contact person for LYDIA
- Contact person for ARC and HSE Non-Conformities
- Provides support for planning and carrying out HMS activities such as Soup Days, house parties, HMS-Days, etc.
- Various administrative duties
- Room booking, including the Centre's seminar room
- Assisting the Centers' Directors and Head of Administration
Line Nævdal is a Higher Executive Officer, employed in an 80% position. Line is responsible for the following tasks:
- Financial management: budgeting, accounting and reports on the Center’s finances and on BOA: external projects.
- Travel Bills: authorizer PAGA
- Reimbursement of expenses: authorizer
- Processes incoming invoices Basware
- Processes outgoing invoices
- Fees, allowances and timesheets
- External projects: BOA: areas: EU, NFR and others
- Development and carrying out of projects in the PA (project account)
- Contact person for credit cards.
- Tax Cards for foreign guests: contact person
- Other administrative duties
Idunn Bjørlo Tandstad is a Senior Executive Officer and works with undergraduate and doctoral ecucation. Idunn is employed in a 100 % position and is responisble for the following tasks:
- Student guidance
- Administration of education (recruitment, quality in studies and education, examination, study plans, internationalisation)
- Administration of doctoral education