Centre for the Study of the Sciences and the Humanities
Useful information for staff members

Useful information for staff members

The following is an overview of the most important things that apply to all staff members at SVT.


Main content

General information

You can find useful and updated information in the Employee Handbook and the UiB Employee Pages.


The Card Centre issues employee I.D. cards. The card is valid as the key card to the Centre’s front door, it gives access to the copy machines, and serves as your library card for the University Library. A separate online form is filled out by a person in the Admin. Staff. After it is approved by the Card Center, you can then to go to the Card Centre (located at the Student Centre) where they will take your picture. Make sure you have a valid ID with you. The card will be made for you at that time. Inform the Admin. Staff as soon as possible if you lose your card, as we need to send an online form before you can get a new card. The Card Center is usually open from 9:00 - 14:00 (until 15:00 the first three weeks of the Fall Semester).


You must update your own personal page yourself. If you need help, please ask Kamilla Stølen for assistance. 

Vacations, leaves of absence, sick days, etc.

If you are sick please inform Tone Lund-Olsen, and record this information in the the Employee Self-Service Portal as well. You also need to register your vacations in the Portal as well. This gets sent to Tone who will approve/not approve the request. If you need a leave of absence, please contact Tone directly.

For more information on your rights to a vacation, sick days, parental leave, etc. please check out the Employee Handbook and UiB Employee pages. The links are at the start of this info page. Be aware that one must apply for their main vacations by May 1st every year. All employees who have worked enough will get 5 weeks paid vacation each year (at least three of those weeks need to be taken consecutively between weeks 24-32), those who turn 60 this year, also receive one additional week. Those who either turn 62 or who are older than that this year get 10 Senior Days every year as well. The Senior Days cannot be transferred to next year. Up to 10 vacation days can be transferred to next year. All this is to be recorded in the Employee Self-Service Portal.

Securitas is our Security Company: 55 58 80 81. Also call Tone Lund-Olsen: 416 49 259 and inform her about what has happened.

Fire: 110

Police: 112

Ambulance: 113


Use the DFØ's self-service portal and app for registering your work hours, registering sick leave, claiming travel expenses and other refunds, requests for leaves of absence, travel, vacations, etc.

Mobile app – DFØ selvbetjening

Download the ‘DFØ selvbetjening’ app from the AppStore or Google Play. The app is available in English. You can choose language settings in the app.

User guide for the DFØ app  (Norwegian)

Web solution – self-service portal

Log into the self-service portal here.

User guide for the self-service portal (Norwegian)

More information about the portal and the app can be found here.  Here you will also find user guides for the various services in the app and portal.

For questions on how to fill out the travel and purchase refund forms, please contact heidi.thorbjornsen@uib.no.

If you need support, or have other questions, contact UiBHjelp.

If you have technical questions related to the self-service portal or app, contact DFØ (08.00-15.45). Email: lonn@dfo.no, phone: 40 63 40 21

Operating funds for PhD and postdoctoral fellows

Research Fellows are awarded operating funds that are spread over a period of three years; in the fourth year all the remaining funds will be transferred over, depending on which type of work contract the fellow has.

Budgeted operating costs

SVT's operating funds cover rent, office supplies, etc. Basic office supplies are ordered by the Center’s purchasing agent. We are required to use UiB’s approved suppliers, who provide discounts and who have been through an extensive vetting process.

Employee's operating funds should be used to cover expenses for research purposes, such as books, special computer software, licenses, travel and lodging, seminars, conferences, miscellaneous fees and other research-related purposes. Every year you will be informed as to the status of your individual budget.


The Center will cover the purchases of computers and i Pads. Contact Tone about this first. Ask the purchasing agent for the current models available. These must be ordered for you through the university’s purchasing system - never purchase them on your own.

Purchasing agent’s function

All purchases must be ordered by SVT's Purchasing Agent and must have a Purchase Order Number before invoices can be paid. Please contact the Purchasing Agent if you wish to purchase something. One exception is that you must book your OWN travel arrangements. See Booking and Payment of Travel below for more information concerning this. The university has many purchasing agreements with various firms in Norway that we are obligated to use. These firms have gone through a vetting process to make sure that they have good work practices, follow environmental guidelines, are registered businesses, etc. The purchasing agent must order items such as computers and group travel for employees (10 people or more), hotels and flights for invited guests who are coming to Norway (they cannot book hotels, ferries nor trains outside of Norway). They must also order office supplies (NORENGROS), furniture, books (AKADEMIKA), flowers (BOTANICA), catering (SAMMEN, SiB, SAFARI, GODT BRØD), anything connected to arrangements like for example renting meeting venues, meals at restaurants, and so on. Additionally services, such as translations/editing/transcribing (use SEMANTIX) and website development, creating logos, software licenses (ADOBE), printing/publishing (use MAKE GRAPHICS in Sandviken - Allkopi changed its name), etc. must also go through the purchasing agent. All purchases must be approved in advance by Tone Lund-Olsen. If you have questions, please ask the purchaing agent.

Purchasing books                                                                                                                                   

The purchasing agent purchases all books from Akademika through the UNIT4 system; we receive discounts by using the Unit4 purchasing system. Please do not purchase books yourselves physically from the Akademika book store; the cost will NOT be refunded to you. You can, however, purchase books yourselves through their website and get those expenses refunded. Please send the purchA LINKS from AKADEMIKA for the books you want. Please include is ISBN13 Number. Thank you! You may buy foreign books yourself abroad, buy electronic books (eBooks) or books through Amazon and similar websites yourselves and get it refunded to you. Use the form in the self-service portal and get your money refunded. We cannot order e-books for you as they require registration to one person so that this person can read the books for years to come - use a private email address so you can use these books even after you leave the SVT. Please be aware that Akademika often can obtain most books you need so you do not usually need to use your own money in advance. All purchases must be approved by Tone Lund-Olsen.

Credit card
It is recommended that each staff member applies for an UiB Credit Card, which can be used to cover your business travel expenses, the credit card replaced travel cash advances. State that the University of Bergen is your employer on the application form. When travel is paid with the employee’s UiB credit card, travel insurance is included. If the bill from the credit card company is due before the journey is made and/or before any money is refunded by the University of Bergen, the University will cover the interest fees. Interest fees and annual fees for this credit card are covered by the University. Most chose to pay the miminum amount each month and then claim the interest fees when they send in the travel form - make sure you include the interest for each month as it adds up! Make sure you do the travel form within a month after your travel is completed. This will reduce the interest fees that the University will have to pay out. The credit card is ONLY to be used for UiB Business Travel expenses: flights, hotels, meals while traveling, conference fees, etc. The UiB Credit Card is NOT for personal use.

Tax cards

Non-Norwegian citizens will have to APPLY for a new tax card every year. You can ask Tone Lund-Olsen for help in doing this. It is normally done online using form RF-1209. If you fail to apply for the tax card, a 50% tax will be deducted from your salary. You of course will receive any overpaid tax later on after the tax card is received, but it can take time.

Booking and payment of travel

All employees need to book and pay for their own business travel, such as flights, train travel, hotels, meals while traveling, conference registration fees, rental cars, taxis, airport buses, etc.  You can use any airline and hotel you want. However, you MUST use the University’s Travel Agent Berg-Hansen, via their Web Portal. Please register yourselves with them so they can help you with your travel. For travel outside of Europe they usually require a scanned copy of your passport. For more information about travel and the UiB credit card: Travel | Employee Pages | UiB

You need to set up a personal page with Berg-Hansen, this will streamline the process the next time you book flights/hotels. Their Web Portal is very good now and offers you many routes and hotels to choose from. 

Berg-Hansen has an Emergency Plan so if something unexpected during your travels should occur, such as your flight being cancelled, social unrest, and the like; the travel agent is responsible for finding alternative solutions for you. They are obligated to keep track of employees who are traveling and who have used their services. Take immediate contact with them if something unforeseen happens. Make sure you cancel flights/hotels if you cannot travel for some reason.

Travel expense form

The travel expense form needs to be submitted within one month after the travel is complete. This form is the the Self-Service Portal. Make sure you keep all receipts and scan them all separately so the system can process them effectively. Make sure you include any interest payments accured on your credit card - UiB will refund this also. 

Reimbursement of expenses

Only research-related purchases that cannot be covered by ordinary purchases should be entered on the purchase reimbursement form. Contact Tone Lund-Olsen. (All your business travel related expenses should be entered on the Travel Expense Form. See above.) Individual employees must not make ordinary purchases: such as office supplies, i Pads, computers, translations, venues for conferences/meetings, art work, paper, etc. Let the purchasing agent know what you need and they can order it for you. 

Who does what in the administration?

Tone, Kamilla and Idunn's tasks at SVT and SKOK

The joint administration at SVT and SKOK have the following functions and responsibilities:

Tone Lund-Olsen is the Head of Administration and is employed in a 100% position. Tone is responsible for the following tasks:

  • Overall responsibility for operation and management
  • Recruitment, personnel matters
  • Responsible for tasks in connection with the PhD theses and doctoral defenses
  • Finances and Budget

Kamilla Stølen is Advisor for Research and Communication, and is employed in a 100 % position. Kamilla is responsible for the following tasks:

  • The website
  • Assists in connection with publicity and media relations
  • Assistance in connection with conferences, seminars and other events
  • Assistance in connection with application for external funding
  • Other administrative duties

Idunn Tandstad is Senior Executive Officer and works with master and doctoral education. She is employed in a 100 % position and is responsible for the following tasks:

  • Student guidance
  • Administration of education at master level (recruitment, quality in studies and education, examination, study plans, internationalisation)
  • Administration of doctoral education
  • Webpages
  • PhD coordinator


Employment opportunities

Jobbnorge: Available positions in Norway

Euraxess: Researchers in motion. Find available researcher positions in Europe.

Sign in front of SKOK/SVT office building

SVT's home in Ida Bloms hus, Parkveien 9.

Thor Brødreskift/UiB

A view of the front entrance of Ida Blom's hus, where SVT is located
Thor Brødreskift/UiB