Project Establishment Support (PES) and Positioning funding (POS)
The PES2020 scheme is designed to relieve the cost burden related to the preparation of project proposals to HEurope.
The PES scheme at UiB supports the following two categories:
- PES - Project Support for Researchers
- POS - Positioning Funding:
- POS - For researchers who are positioning themselves towards a Horizon Europe application.
- POS - Grants to fund strategic academic measures at Faculty level.
- POS - KHT: Competence development for researchers and EU-administrative support staff at the Faculties.
1. PES-Project establishment funding (PES)
PES funding is granted to researchers who are in the process of writing an application to Horizon Europe.
A PES-grant will be transferred to the Faculties based on the number of HEurope applications that are registered from each Faculty by September 17, 2021 and December 6, 2021. The PES-grants are calculated based on the HEurope application category and the researcher´s role in the project.
PES-support related to HEurope applications will only be triggered if the submitted project proposal is formally approved (eligible) by the EU.
Unused PES-funds may be used the following year.
PES grants cover expenses in relation to:
- Travel, accomodation and meeting costs.
- Procurement of external assistance and consultation. UiB has framework agreements with Innovayt and Enspire Science Ltd. Ordering external consultation must be done by a purchaser at your institute. Here are templates for order forms for Enspire Science Ltd and Innovayt.
- Compensation/refund for work done in relation to a spesific HEurope-application. The compensation/refund will go to the institute and not to the researcher.
- Cost of partner search/establishment of project consortium.
- Search in patent databases.
The Research Council of Norway offers free external consultancy services from PNO to HEU applicants for grant application review or for mentoring and concept development. If you need free consultation please contact Adviser Inger Nordgard by email: firstname.lastname@example.org Send information about call/topic, application deadline, who is part of the consortium and draft proposal (if possible) so that the Research Council of Norway can find the right PNO-consultant for you.
The Faculties will receive the following PES-grant amounts for each submitted and eligible Coordinator Proposal (in NOK):
MSCA ITN 75 000
MSCA IF 15 000
MSCA RISE 30 000
MSCA COFUND 50 000
FET Open, Proactive and Flagships 75 000
ERC Starting Grant 60 000
ERC Consolidator Grant 60 000
ERC Advanced Grant 60 000
ERC Synergy Grant 60 000
ERC Round 2 25 000
Industrial leadership 75 000
Research Infrastructures 75 000
Societal Challenges 100 000, Round 2. 30 000
Science with and for Society 50 000
COST Actions 50 000
InnovFin instruments - EU Finance for Innovators 30 000
ERA Net (where Norway participates) 30 000
JPIs 30 000
Partner applications receive NOK 15 000
2. POS- Positioning funding
Please note: The deadline for using Positioning funding granted in 2021 is December 10, 2021. Unused POS-funds cannot be used the following year.
Positioning funding is divided into 3 categories:
1. POS - Positioning funding for researchers who are positioning themselves towards a Horizon Europe application:
- Building relationships with leading European environments (networking) whose purpose is to identify potential partners for future HEurope projects.
- Participation in arenas that contribute towards influencing the European research and innovation agenda (strategic work).
- Short-term positioning to build new partnerships/join existing consortiums.
2. POS - Grants to fund strategic academic measures at Faculty level:
- Participation in European strategy networks and forums.
- Interdisciplinary events in Bergen, with participation from the EU Commission or other relevant EU organizations.
- Study trips and delegation trips to Brussels.
3. POS - Competence development funding for researchers and the EU administrative support staff at the Faculties.
This includes participation at HEurope seminars, workshops and conferences both nationally and internationally. The course program for the competence activity for which funding is sought must be submitted with the application.
Application process for POS funding in 2021:
- The Faculty application deadline for POS-grants for 2022: December 1, 2021.
NOTE: Faculties may set an additional deadline for POS-funding during spring/autumn 2022.
- The faculties processes applications from their departments.
- Researchers who received POS funding in Category 1 are required to submit a final report by January 30th 2022. The report should be maximum 1 page and planned/submitted applications to Horizon Europe should be discussed in the report.
- The reports are gathered at each faculty and sent to the Division of Research and Innovation in ePhorte. A standard POS-report has been created for this purpose.