This course has a limited capacity, enrolment is based on application. Application deadline is Thursday in week 33 for the autumn semester. Please see this page for more information: https://www.uib.no/en/matnat/53431/admission-courses-limited-capacity
The time of the first lecture/orientation meeting can be found in the schedule on the course website or on the Mitt UiB learning platform.
It is mandatory to attend the first lecture.
Objectives and Content
The subject gives a basic introduction to how the process of evolution can be utilized to achieve biological insight: how adaptation operates in biological entities, genetic algorithms, evolution of life and macroevolution, population genetics, human evolution. The course does also contain basic population dynamics, the development of the field of biology, and ends with areas for application for evolutionary principles. The mathematical contents of the course is linked to population dynamics, population genetics, behaviour, and natural selection.
Goals for learning:
- to give students an introduction to biological reasoning, with emphasis on evolution and adaptation
- to give students a foundation for a unified understanding of the biological disciplines taught in later bachelor courses
- to show that the present philosophy of biology has come about through scientific research
- to give a basic introduction to the application of mathematics in biology
- to give students a basic understanding of evolution and human biology
- to train students in critical evaluation of texts
- to give students experiences in writing, cooperation and portfolio evaluation
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Forms of Assessment
Due to the measures taken to avoid the spread of Covid-19, UiB is closed for on-campus assessment. As a consequence, the following changes is made to assessment autumn semester 2020:
- Written home examination instead of written examination
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade, grade F is a fail.
Students will evaluate the course in accordance with the quality assurance system at UiB and the Department. You can find courseevaluations in the Quality Assurance Reports.
Contact the Study Section at the Department of Biological Sciences: firstname.lastname@example.org
For written exams, please note that the start time may change from 09:00 to 15:00 or vice versa until 14 days prior to the exam.
Type of assessment: Written examination
- 16.02.2021, 09:00
- 3 hours
- Withdrawal deadline
- Examination system
- Digital exam