Getting Around Bergen
Once you've arrived in Bergen, you can make use of public transportation options to get around the city.
Bergen boasts an extensive and well-connected public transportation system. It is accessible and easy to use. It is likely Bergen's public transit will be the primary way you commute to class.
Public Transport in Bergen
Buses and Bybanen
Many students use buses or the Bergen Light Rail (Bybanen) on a daily basis to get around in Bergen. These services are run by the county’s transit company, Skyss. The airport bus is run by another company, Flybussen.
Single tickets for buses and Bybanen can be purchased before embarking
- From a ticket machine (only coins or credit cards accepted),
- In certain shops in town (e.g. 7-eleven, Deli de Luca, Narvesen),
- At one of Skyss' Customer Centres
- Or by using Skyss' ticket app
A single ticket costs NOK 38 (as of June 2019). It is also possible to buy a single ticket on the bus, but that costs more.
Travel card/ Season ticket
For daily use of buses or Bybanen, you should consider buying a season ticket on the Skyss ticket app or periodic Skyss Travelcard.
1) Skyss' ticket app (Skyss Billett) can be downloaded at Google Play or App Store.
2) The Skyss Travelcard can be acquired in several ways:
- It can be ordered online at Skyss.no.
- It can be obtained after arrival in Bergen at Skyss' Customer Centres in town
Remember, to receive a student discount on your Travelcard, you will have to prove that you are a student. And, if you travel with a student discount, always remember to bring valid student ID in case of inspections!
Taxis tend to be very expensive, so if possible it is most economical to take public transit. If you need a taxi, you can call 05501 for Taxi1, 07000 for Bergen taxi or 08000 for Norgestaxi. Online or app options for booking may also be available for these companies.