International Centre
Research stay UiB| Euraxess@uib.no


In order to live and work in Norway you must check which requirements from the Norwegian Directorate for immigration (UDI) are applicable for your situation. As a general rule, you apply for a resident permit to Norway from your home country through a Norwegian embassy or VFS's Application Centre. However, you may also apply from another country if you are a citizen or have had a residence permit during the last six months in this country.

Main content

There are no longer special requirements for entry into Norway due to the corona situation. The same rules as before the corona pandemic apply now.  You might find that due to local regulations some embassies or VFS offices may not be open. 

You may experience that other rules apply if you have connecting flights in another country, and the airlines may also have restrictions due to the corona situation. You must familiarize yourself with the rules that apply during your travel to Norway https://www.udi.no/en/about-the-corona-situation/


Staying less than 90 days

If your intended stay in Norway is less than 90 days, you do not need to apply for a residence permit. However, depending on your nationality, you might need a visitor's visa to enter Norway. Visit Want to apply to visit Norway (udi.no) to check if this is applicable to you.

Mandatory tubercolosis test for those coming from a country with high risk

Tuberculosis examination required by law

According Tuberculosis Control Regulations § 3-1, the following persons are obliged to undergo tuberculosis examination:


  • People from countries with a high incidence of tuberculosis that are going to stay more than three months in Norway.
  • People who during the last three years have stayed for at least three months in countries with a high incidence of tuberculosis, and who will work with children, or in the health and care service.
  • Others who have been exposed to tuberculosis infection.


The examination should be done as soon as possible, preferably within 4 weeks of arrival to Norway.

The statutory tuberculosis examination is free of charge. Remember to bring your passport!


For tuberculosis examination appointment, please contact Smittevernkontoret (Office for Infection control).
Telephone: 55 56 58 80


For registration, Smittevernkontoret needs information about:

  • First name:
  • Surname:
  • Date of birth:
  • Gender:
  • Country of birth/origin:
  • Address in Norway:
  • Arrival date:
  • Phone:
  • E-mail: