Jan Reinert Karlsen
- Phone+47 55 58 96 65
- Visitor AddressParkveien 95007 BergenRoom208
- Postal AddressPostboks 78055020 BERGEN
I am currently working on epistemological and ethical foundational issues (theory of science) in research on human beings, focusing on norms, values, and conceptual formations in the life sciences and the humanities, areas where research-based knowledge and techniques are utilised, and the governance of new and emerging technologies
Currently these research interests has brought me into contact with a range of questions in releation to
- how suffering is conceptualised in medicine and psychology
- norms of objectivity in cognitive neuroscience and how they materialise in fMRI-based study designs and images of cognitive function
- how the human genome is conceptualised and normed in policies and goveranance of research biobanking and digital research infrastructures
- how quality and relevance are conceptualised within humanities research and indicator-based methodologies
- representations of scientific knowledge in the science-policy-society interface
I am also engaged in research-based approaches on how to improve teaching and learning in interdisciplinary subjects
Major Issues in Research and Society
- The human being: Nature and culture (VIT210)
- Global health: Ethics, politics, and human rights (VIT211)
- Climate: What do we know? What should we do? (VIT212)
- The many cultures at the university (VIT213)
- The Norwegian Constitution: What is it? How ought it to be? (VIT214)
- Displacing humanity: Knowledge status and options for action (VIT215)
- Artificial Intelligence: Visions, Realities and Future Consequences
PhD obligatory course in Research Design, Methods, Ethics and Philosophy of Science (PS901)
- 2019. Thoughts in Progress: Field Notes from Norway. 103-105. In:
- 2019. Thought Work. Thinking, Action, and the Fate of the World. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- 2017. Svar til Skodvin. Morgenbladet.
- 2017. Studiebarometeret som kunnskapsform og samfunnsfenomen. Nytt Norsk Tidsskrift. 7-19.
- 2017. Studentenes stemme? Morgenbladet.
- 2017. Hjernen gjør motstand. Le Monde Diplomatique.
Epistemology Laboratory (EpiLab) is a newly founded inter-disciplinary research group that will conduct and develop research projects for testing normative and pre-empirical assumptions and implications in research designs on complex phenomena (e.g. suffering, neurodegenerative diseases, consciousness, mental disorders).
More information will follow.