Petroleum Technology, Master's, 2 years
- Years2 years
- StartAutumn and Spring
At the Master’s Programme in Petroleum Technology, we study questions like:
- What is the most environmentally friendly methods of enhanced oil recovery?
- How can we most efficiently manage remaining oil and gas reserves?
- How can CO2 be used for enhanced oil recovery and at the same time stored safely in reservoirs?
Our graduates mostly work as industrial engineers.
Our graduates also work in:
- Governmental positions (oil directorate)
You can also apply for admission to the PhD programme if you are interested in pursuing a career in research.
7 out of 10 of alumni with a degree from the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences say that they have found relevant work within two years of graduating.
The programme covers two academic years (four semesters) and starts in the autumn.
You follow courses worth 60 ECTS, some mandatory, some elective. Courses, schedules and study plans depend on your specialisation.
You can specialise in:
You write your master's thesis, which is also worth 60 ECTS. Based on your area of interest, you and an available supervisor find a suitable thesis topic.
As a master’s student you must attend 2-3 lectures per week, as well as:
- seminar groups
- fields trips
We expect you to work well on your own, as well as cooperation in a group.
We make sure students are a natural part of the research group, and the work environment is informal. Many different nationalities work together. We also have a close relationship to the oil industry, with regular meetings. You can focus your master’s thesis on a topic that is relevant for the industry today and use industry equipment and laboratories. There are also meetings between the academic environment and the industry.
You are expected to work independently, where you make use of appropriate methods and scientific working techniques in the research of relevant material.
You will work closely with an academic supervisor whose expertise is in the field of your thesis topic. In agreement with your supervisor, you will choose a thesis topic and make a progression plan containing important milestones for your project.
What will I learn?
With a master’s in Petroleum Technology, you will have
- a thorough knowledge of various disciplines in petroleum technology
- knowledge about sustainable oil and gas recovery
- knowledge about CO2 handling and storage
Study period abroad
You can spend your second semester as an exchange student at one of our partner universities in Australia.
How to apply
Follow these links to find the general entry requirements and guidelines on how to apply:
- Citizens from outside the European Union/EEA/EFTA (1 December)
- Citizens from within the European Union/EEA/EFTA (1 March)
- Nordic citizens and applicants residing in Norway (15 April)
Your bachelor's degree must include courses in mathematics, physics and chemistry, in addition to geology and reservoir technology.