Institutt for sammenliknende politikk


There has not been added a translated version of this content. You can either try searching or go to the "area" home page to see if you can find the information there

Incoming students to the Department of Comparative Politics

The Department of Comparative Politics welcomes you as an exchange student to Bergen. Here you will find more information on what we can offer our incoming students.

International students
Eivind Senneset, Universitetet i Bergen


Why study Comparative Politics in Bergen?

  • great opportunity to study at a highly specialized department
  • wide selection of high quality courses in English
  • broadly international staff and student population
  • internationally oriented teaching and research
  • mountains and fjords just minutes away (literally)
  • generally very safe country with English speaking population

Courses in English

Incoming exchange students can also freely choose courses from other departments (or even other faculties). Courses in Comparative Politics have the abbreviation SAMPOL. Please see this page for an updated list on courses for exchange students.

Bachelor level courses (100-200)

All courses in English at the department are open to incoming exchange students. The courseselection may vary from semester to semester. 

Autumn semester:

Spring semester:

Master level courses (300)

These courses are open to incoming master students in political science/comparative politics or equivalent programs. MA courses in English are only availible in the spring semester. The courseselection will vary from semester to semester:

Spring semester:

Students interested in these courses may contact the exchange coordinator or notify the incoming team.

If you are a student from the Scandinavian countries you may also follow the MA-courses in Norwegian language, these courses can be found in the study plan.

PhD-courses (900)

This page display an overview of all PhD-courses at UiB.

Bergen Summer Research School offer a range of courses and sessions on a given topic each year in June/July.

Before arrival

Application periods

Spring semester (January to June):
1 September - 15 October

Autumn semester (August to December):
15 March - 1 May

More information on what to do before arrival

  • Apply for an exchange period
  • Student housing
  • Recidence permit
  • Students with special needs

See this page for more information

After arrival

As a new student in Bergen you will have many questions. On the web pages for new students you will find more information on:

  • Semester startup help desk
  • Semester dates and deadlines
  • Arrival and directions
  • Faculty information centres
  • Student organizations and campus life

 The student pages will help you manage your studies, find public services and discover whats what in the Bergen Student Life.


The Information Centre at The Faculty of Social Sciences can help you with questions regarding our study programs admission, registration, exams, counselling services, Learning Agreement, Confirmations, etc.

  • Opening hours: Monday - Friday: 10.00-14.00
  • Address: Lauritz Meltzers Hus (The faculty building), Fosswinckels gate 6, 3rd floor
  • Phone: +47 55 58 98 50
  • E-mail


  • Where can I get my signatures on the Learning agreement and Confirmation of Arrival/Departure?

The Information Centre at The Faculty of Social Sciences can help you with this.

  • Can I change courses after arrival?

Yes, the deadline for semester registration is September 1st and February 1st.

  • I will arrive after the registration deadline. What to do?

You have to notify the incoming team and SiB housing of your late arrival. Contact the information centre after coming to Bergen.

  • What course level should I choose?

100: BA-level. 15 ECTS courses meant to give a broad approach to the topic. Usually not neessary with pre-requirements within the topic. Open to all students.

200: BA-level. 10 ECTS courses meant to give a more specialized approach to the topic. May be recommended to have som prior knowledge in political science, but not a condition. Open to all students.

300: MA-level. Advanced courses suitable for MA/graduate level students. You need to have a undergraduate degree in political science or equivalent to be accepted.

  • I am a third year student, should I take 100-level courses?

100-level does not equal "Introduction to.....". The BA programme students may take 100-level courses in their 1-5 semester. If you have had courses within the same topic before then you should discuss it with your home institution. You can find an overview of the academic system here.

  • Two of my exams are on the same day. What to do?

If you choose courses from different departments exam dates and teaching schedules may conflict. You should change one of the courses before the registration deadline.

  •  I want to stay for another semester. Is it possible?

Yes, you can stay up to 2 semesters as long as this is permitted by your home university. Apply for an extention here.

  • How do I order a transcript of records?

You can order this on StudentWeb to be sent by post. Remember to change your address if you have returned home.