bioCEED – Centre of Excellence in Biology Education
bioCEED, a consortium between the Department of Biology at UiB (BIO), Department of Arctic Biology at UNIS (AB), Department of Education at UiB (HERU), and the Institute of Marine Research (IMR), has been awarded status as a Center of Excellence in Biology Education. The vision behind bioCEED is that the rapid change in biology and the biologist's role in society create new demands, not only to the content of the biology education, but also to how we teach future biologists.
In the past decade there has been shift in the development of biology and the roles biologists in society. Methods and facts based on the theory of evolution have become of increasingly important, not only within biology, but also within medicine, information technology, resource management, the humanities and social sciences, among many other fields.
The practical skills of biologists, from the splicing of genes to environmental monitoring and beyond, are highly sought after in the industrial sector as well as in management. Global challenges associated with food production, environment and climate also require solutions that utilize biology. The role of biologists in society can be seen as a triangle that is under constant development between the endpoints of theory, practice and community relevance.
The vision behind bioCEED is to provide a practice in biology education and means to educate future biologists, in a way that reflects a society where the role of biology and biologists is constantly changing.
To achieve this, bioCEED has three main goals:
- Include the whole “biological triangle” in biology education – give the students experience with theoretical knowledge, practical skills and tasks relevant to society throughout their whole course of study. This will be achieved by (among other things):
- Continued focus on “field and lab” education
- Offer internships in research, management and in the industrial sector
- Shift from a teaching culture to a learning culture
- Actively engage students in their own learning
- Develop and test new learning methods in the whole “triangle”
- Share experiences via web-forums, workshops, educational sabbaticals and conferences
- Bring the best of the teaching culture into the teaching
- Joint responsibility, continued development, peer review and recognition of success
- Create an arena for discussion, sharing of knowledge, learning and development
- Document and share knowledge and experiences on the topic of biology education
The goal is that our education will develop fundamental scientific skills and attitude among our students and train them in how to solve important challenges in science, industry and the society as whole.
bioCEED is a cooperation between the biology education at the University of Bergen (lead by the Department of Biology, with contributions from many internal and external cooperators) and at the University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS - Arctic Biology), educational science (Department of Education at UiB) and the society and industrial sector (represented and coordinated by the Institute of Marine Research (IMR), but with many important research-, industry- and management institutions) as well as our with national and international collaborators.
Read more about bioCEED, our projects and how you can get involved in creating excellence in education on our website: www.bioceed.no