- Phone+47 55 58 41 75+47 924 82 316
- Visitor AddressHIB - Thormøhlens gate 55
- Postal AddressPostboks 78035020 Bergen
Pinar Heggernes is the head of Department of Informatics at UiB and professor of algorithms. She has extensive experience as a researcher and educator, as a leader of several externally funded projects and as a member of program boards and editorial committees of international scientific conferences and journals. She is active in the national research and education policy arena, as a board member of the Research Council of Norway and chair of the board of NORA – Norwegian Artificial Intelligence Research Consortium.
She is interested in collaboration between academia, businesses and public administration; she is a member of the resource group for digitization of Bergen Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and advisory board for the Norwegian Cognitive Center. She has played a key role in coordinating various initiatives related to interdisciplinary ICT research and interdisciplinary ICT educations at UiB. Heggernes has her education from UiB and has had several long research stays abroad, including USA, France and Turkey. She has been a board member of the Faculty of mathematics and natural sciences, and a deputy member of the university board at UiB.
Read more about the research group in Algorithms
- 2020. Partitioning a graph into degenerate subgraphs. European journal of combinatorics (Print). 12 pages.
- 2020. Parameterized Aspects of Strong Subgraph Closure. Algorithmica. 2006-2038.
- 2020. On the maximum number of edges in chordal graphs of bounded degree and matching number. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). 600-612.
- 2020. Finding connected secluded subgraphs. Journal of computer and system sciences. 101-124.
- 2019. Structural and Algorithmic Graph Theory Through the Lenses of Graph Classes.
- 2019. Enumeration of Minimal Connected Dominating Sets for Chordal Graphs. Discrete Applied Mathematics. 3-11.
- 2019. Dette er Darwin’s «survival of the fittest». Dagens næringsliv.
- 2019. Algorithms for Outerplanar Graph Roots and Graph Roots of Pathwidth at Most 2. Algorithmica. 2795-2828.
- 2019. Algorithms and Complexity - 11th International Conference, CIAC 2019, Rome, Italy, May 27-29, 2019, Proceedings. Springer.
- 2019. 44th International Symposium on Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science, MFCS 2019, August 26-30, 2019, Aachen, Germany. Leibniz-Zentrum für Informatik.
- 2018. Rainbow Vertex Coloring Bipartite Graphs and Chordal Graphs. Leibniz International Proceedings in Informatics. 83:1-83:13.
- 2018. Parameterized Aspects of Strong Subgraph Closure. Leibniz International Proceedings in Informatics. 23:1-23:13.
- 2018. Output-Polynomial Enumeration on Graphs of Bounded (Local) Linear MIM-Width. Algorithmica. 714-741.
- 2018. Finding connected secluded subgraphs. Leibniz International Proceedings in Informatics. 1-13.
- 2018. Enumeration and Maximum Number of Minimal Connected Vertex Covers in Graphs. European journal of combinatorics (Print). 132-147.
- 2017. Preface: Algorithmic Graph Theory on the Adriatic Coast. Discrete Applied Mathematics. 1-3.
- 2017. Output-polynomial enumeration on graphs of bounded (local) linear MIM-width. Algorithmica. 714-741.
- 2017. On recognition of threshold tolerance graphs and their complements. Discrete Applied Mathematics. 171-180.
- 2017. Maximum number of edges in claw-free graphs whose maximum degree and matching number are bounded. Discrete Mathematics. 927-934.
- 2017. Algorithms for outerplanar graph roots and graph roots of pathwidth at most 2. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). 275-288.
Pinar has been the project leader of three large grants from the Research Council of Norway's FRIPRO programme:
- CLASSIS - The renaissance of graph classes - New algorithmic theory of forbidden induced subgraphs, 2016-2020.
- SCOPE - Exploiting Structure to Cope with Hard Problems, 2010-2015.
- MIST - Minimal Separators and Triangulations in Graphs - Algorithms and Applications, 2005-2009.
She has led many bilateral mobility projects, and she has been a partner or PI in many other project grants from the Research Council of Norway, Trond Mohn Foundation, National Security Authority and EU.
More details can be found here.
Memberships in national boards and distinctions:
- Scientific advisory board of Norwegian Cognitive Center, since 2020.
- Board of directors of the Research Council of Norway, 2019 - 2022.
- Chair of the board of directors of NORA - Norwegian Artificial Intelligence Research Consortium, since 2018.
- Board of directors of Simula Research Laboratory, since 2011.
- Resource group for digitalization of Bergen Chamber of Commerce and Industry, since 2019.
- Chair of ICT strategy planning group, University of Bergen, 2018.
- Board of directors of Unifond AS, 2010-2019.
- Program committee for the Bergen branch of Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences, 2017 - 2019.
- National committee for assessment of professor promotions in Computer Science, 2015 - 2019.
- Elected member of Norges Tekniske Vitenskapsakademi, since 2014.
- Deputy head of Department of informatics, University of Bergen, 2010 - 2018.
- Strategy planning group, University of Bergen, 2010.
- Deputy member of the directing board of University of Bergen, 2009-2013.
- Directing board of research programme eVITA, Research Council of Norway, 2006-2015.
- Directing board of Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Bergen, 2005-2009.
- Directing board of UNINETT Sigma AS, 2005-2012.
- National Committee for Planning a Research Program in e-Science, Research Council of Norway, 2005.
- National Board for Strategic Planning of Research within ICT at Universities and University Colleges in Norway, 2003-2004.