This page will continuously be updated with practical information for the participants.
Some general information on the local climate can be found here and more specific on statistics here (not at sea level where we will stay, but a bit further up the hillside).
Please note that internet is limited in Greenland. The hotels offer wifi at a price of around 60-100 DKK per hour. The Arctic Station has wifi, but the speed is limited and might be unstable with many users.
Both in the beginning and end of the summer school we will be staying in Ilulissat. The main bulk will be staying at Hotel Hvide Falk, and a few people will be staying at Hotel Icefjord and Hotel Avannaa.
Qeqertarsuaq, Disco Island
On disco island we will be divided in two, one group staying at the Arctic station and one staying at Hotel Disco.
What to bring
Towles, duvets, pillows, sheets and bed linen are provided at the station. There will also be possibilities for doing laundry at the station, but then you need to bring your own detergent.
In general you should bring
- Wind and waterproof clothing (jacket and trousers)
- Warm clothes
- Indoor shoes
- Hat, scarf and mittens
- Travel insurance
- Lunch box
- Water bottle
- Laptop (+ memory stick for student presentations; 8 minute presentation - maximum 8 slides)
For the field trip
We want to limit the amount of rubbish we produce, so we will not provide paper or plastic cups and plates in the field
- Plate, cup, fork, spoon and knife.
- Proper hiking boots
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping mat
- Travel insurance (covering both transport and illness)
- Tent (if you prefer to sleep in your own tent)
- Camera (we encourage students and lecturers to share their pictures)