Research into Impacts and Safety in CO2 Storage
Project name: Research into Impacts and Safety in CO2 Storage
Project coordinator: IFM-GEOMAR
Project partners: 24 international research institute, networks and industrial partners
Researchers involved (CGB): Laila J. Reigstad, Andrew K. Sweetman (Associate Professor II at CGB and NIVA researcher)
Project's main Objectives:
RISCS will improve the safety of CO2 storage. This will be achieved by:
- Increasing the understanding of key (quantified) parameters that influence leakage and the consequences of such leaks on near-surface ecosystems
- Addressing important questions which regulators and industry are increasingly being challenged on:
- How much CO2 is needed to cause significant impact?
- What is a significant impact?
- When would a leak be most/least harmful?
- How long would a leak last to cause significant impact?
- Where would leaks cause most/least impacts?
- How quickly could an impact be attenuated?