- Phone+47 55 58 41 13
- Visitor AddressFosswinckels gt 65007 BergenRoom613
- Postal AddressPostboks 78025020 Bergen
Kristine Jørgensen's research is in game studies. She is interested in player-centered perspectives and has studied player experiences with transgressive game content, player interaction with game interfaces, and player experiences of sound in games. She also has an interest in production and industry studies and has in that context researched the Norwegian game industry. In the period 2015-2019, she was project manager of the research project Games and Transgressive Aesthetics, which focuses on player experiences of controversial, uncomfortable, and norm-breaking game content and how they tackle this in the gameplay situation.
Kristine Jørgensen is also the leader of UiBs cross-faculty research network for game studies.
She is the co-author of The Paradox of Transgression in Games (with Torill Elvira Mortensen), the author of Gameworld Interfaces and A Comprehensive Study of Sound in Computer Games: How Audio Affects Player Action, and the co-editor of Transgression in Games and Play (with Faltin Karlsen).
I teach at the BA and MA programs in Media and Interaction Design at Media City Bergen.
- 2021. "Norway". . In:
- 2021. Encyclopedia of Video Games: The Culture, Technology, and Art of Gaming, 2nd Edition.
- 2020. The Paradox of Transgression in Games.
- 2019. Understanding War Game Experiences: Applying Multiple Player Perspectives to Game Analysis. 16 pages.
- 2019. Public game funding in the Nordic region. The International Journal of Cultural Policy.
- 2019. Dead Rising and the Gameworld Zombie.
- 2018. When Is It Enough? Uncomfortable Game Content and the Transgression of Player Taste. 15 pages.
- 2018. Transgression in Games and Play. MIT Press.
- 2018. Introduction: Playful Transgressions. 9 pages.
- 2017. Newcomers in a Global Industry: Challenges of a Norwegian Game Company . Games and Culture. 660-679.
- 2017. From hobbyists to entrepreneurs. Convergence. The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies. 457-476.
- 2017. "Emphatic and Ecological Sounds in Gameworld Interfaces". 13 pages.
- 2016. The positive discomfort of spec ops: The line. Game Studies.
- 2016. Gameworld Interfaces as Make-Believe. 11 pages.
- 2015. From hobbyists to entrepreneurs: On the formation of the Nordic game industry. Convergence. The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies. 1-20.
- 2015. Dark Play in Dishonored. 16 pages.
- 2014. Mediepanikk eller medieskepsis? En analyse av dataspilldebatten etter 22. juli. Norsk Medietidsskrift. 42-62.
- 2013. Mellom næring og kultur: en studie av norsk spillpolitikk. Norsk Medietidsskrift. 5-28.
- 2013. Gameworld interfaces.
- 2013. "Estetikk og spillelementer: Utfoldelse og lekenhet med digital medieteknologi". Norsk Medietidsskrift. 241-260.
- 2012. Kva er dataspel? Folkeopplysning for professorar. 16 pages.
- 2012. Combining think aloud and comic strip illustration in the study of augmented reality games. 14 pages.
- 2012. Between the game system and the fictional world. A study of computer game interfaces. Games and Culture. 142-163.
- 2011. Time for new terminology? Diegetic and nondiegetic sounds in computer games revisited. 20 pages.
- 2011. Framing the Game : Four game-related approaches to Goffman's frames. 18 pages.
- 2011. "Players as co-researchers: Expert Player Perspective as an Aid to Understanding Games". Simulation & Gaming.
- 2010. Game characters as narrative devices : a comparative analysis of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. Eludamos - Journal for Computer Game Culture. 315-331.
- 2009. Dataspill og interaktivitet. 151-164. In:
- 2009. Medievitenskap. Bd. 3: Mediebruk. Fagbokforlaget.
- 2009. Conan eller Josefine? Politikk og økonomi i den norske spillbransjen. Norsk Medietidsskrift. 317-343.
- 2009. A comprehensive study of sound in computer games: How audio affects player action.
- 2008. Left in the Dark. Playing Computer Games with the Sound Turned Off. 14 pages.
- 2008. Audio and Gameplay: An Analysis of PvP Battlegrounds in World of Warcraft. Game Studies.
- 2007. On Transdiegetic Sounds in Computer Games. Northern Lights: Film & Media Studies Yearbook. 105-118.
- 2006. Lyd som grensesnitt: når dataspillets lyd blir funksjonell. Mediekultur. 44-52.
- 2003. Aporia & Epiphany in context : computer game agency in Baldur's Gate II & Heroes of Might & Magic IV.