Maarit Leinonen, MD PhD
Project Manager in the “Drugs and Pregnancy” project, which is a joint project of the National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL), the Finnish Medicines Agency (FIMEA) and the Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela) launched in 2008. Project evaluates drug use during pregnancy and drug-related adverse effects on offspring, including long-term neurodevelopment, perinatal and infant health, childhood and adolescent health, reproductive health, mental health, migrant health and use of health care services.
Areas of interest:
Utilization of population-based registries in Nordic and European countries to support decision making and priority setting in health and social care. Particular interests are monitoring and promoting equity in health care and data completeness, validity and comparability in international studies.
1) Gatta G, Botta L, Comber H, Dimitrova N, Leinonen MK, Pritchard-Jones K, et al. The European Study on centralization of childhood cancer treatment. Eur J Cancer 2019; May 24;115:120-127. doi: 10.1016/j.ejca.2019.04.024. [Epub ahead of print]
2) Orumaa M, Leinonen MK, Campbell S, Møller B, Myklebust TÅ, Nygård M. Recent increase in incidence of cervical precancerous lesions in Norway: Nationwide study from 1992 to 2016. Int J Cancer 2019; Feb 8. doi: 10.1002/ijc.32195. [Epub ahead of print]
3) Leinonen MK, Hansen SA, Skare GB, Skaaret IB, Silva M, Johannesen TB, Nygård M. Low proportion of unreported cervical treatments in the Cancer Registry of Norway between 1998 and 2013. Acta Oncol 2018; 57(12):1663-1670.
4) Leinonen MK, Schee K, Jonassen CM, Lie AK, Nystrand CF, Rangberg A, Furre IE, Johansson MJ, Tropé A, Sjøborg KD, Castle PE, Nygård M. Safety and acceptability of human papillomavirus testing of self-collected specimens: A methodologic study of the impact of collection devices and HPV assays on sensitivity for cervical cancer and high-grade lesions. J Clin Virol 2018; 99-100:22-30. doi: 10.1016/j.jcv.2017.12.008.
5) Gatta G, Capocaccia R, Botta L, Mallone S, de Angelis R, Ardanez E, Comber H, Dimitrova N, Leinonen MK, Siesling S, van der Zwan JM, Van Eycken L, Visser O, Žakelj MP, Anderson LA, Bella F, Kaire I, Otter R, Stiller CA, Trama A, RARECAREnet working group. Burden and centralised treatment in Europe of rare tumours: Results of RARECAREnet –a population-based study. Lancet Oncol 2017; 18(8):1022-1039.
6) Leinonen MK, Campbell S, Ursin G, Tropé A, Nygård M. Barriers to cervical cancer screening faced by immigrants: a registry-based study of 1.4 million women in Norway. Eur J Publ Health 2017; 27(5): 873-879.
7) Leinonen MK, Miettinen J, Heikkinen S, Pitkäniemi J, Malila N. Quality measures of the population-based Finnish Cancer Registry indicate sound data quality for solid malignant tumours. Eur J Cancer 2017; 77:31-39.
8) Leinonen MK, Campbell S, Klungsøyr O, Lönnberg S, Hansen BT, Nygård M. Personal and provider level factors influence participation to cervical cancer screening: A retrospective register-based study of 1.3 million women in Norway. Prev Med 2017; 94:31-39.
9) Leinonen MK, Anttila A, Malila N, Dillner J, Forslund O, and Nieminen P. Type- and age-specific distribution of human papillomavirus in women attending cervical cancer screening in Finland. Br J Cancer 2013; 109(11):2941-50.
10) Leinonen MK, Nieminen P, Lönnberg S, Malila N, Hakama M, Pokhrel A, Laurila P, Tarkkanen J, Anttila A. Detection rates of precancerous and cancerous cervical lesions within one screening round of primary human papillomavirus DNA testing: prospective randomised trial in Finland. BMJ 2012; 345:e7789.