Seismic modelling and imaging with application to petroleum/reservoir and near-surface geophysics, including finite-difference wavefield simulation, Eikonal solver (first-arrival traveltimes), tomography, generalized diffraction tomography, imaging/inversion in seismology and seismics, hybrid modelling ray-tracing/finite-difference, refraction seismic modelling, seismic resolution, SAR techniques applied to seismic imaging, simulated prestack imaging using resolution functions, imaging in other domains (GPR, etc), CO2 and geothermal site assessments, near-surface geophysics, geohazards, and E-learning.
Research work involving both theoretical studies and method developments (especially within seismic modelling and imaging in relation to O&G applications, but also for near-surface applications with eikonal solver for seismic refraction and tomography), and field work with students and for ICG-related projects (2005-2012) or others.
- 2017-2020: project leader for UiB/GEO participation in “Forecasting of architecture, seismic characteristics and flow behaviour in paleokarst reservoirs - FOPAK”, NFR Petromaks2 project 267634, led by NORCE/CIPR, Jan Tveranger project leader.
- 2014-2018: project leader for NORSAR participation in the UiO “TriasNorth: Reconstructing the Triassic northern Barents Shelf; basin infill patterns controlled by gentle sags and faults”, NFR Petromaks project 234152.
- 2008-2010: Project leader of the NORSAR Innovation AS “Fast Elastic Inversion of Multi-offset Prestack Depth Migrated Seismic Data”, NFR Petromaks project 187318, in cooperation with the Norwegian Computing Center, O. Kolbjørnsen and colleagues, and ConocoPhillips and Statoil.
- 2007-2009: Project leader and grant owner of the NORSAR Strategic Institute Program “Flexible local seismic imaging in an integrated dynamic modelling framework”, NFR project 181688.
- 2003-2012: Guest researcher in the International Center for Geohazards (ICG), NFR-funded Norwegian Research Centre of Excellence (SFF), in cooperation with NGI, NGU, UiO and NTNU. Theme coordinator for “Geophysics for Geohazards”.
1990 PhD Geophysics: Disputation date: 18.12.1990.
Université Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg 1, France.
1988 Civ. Eng. Geophysics
Ecole de Physique du Globe de Strasbourg, France.
1987 M.Sc. Geophysics
Université Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg 1, France.
CURRENT AND PREVIOUS POSITIONS
2016-present Associate Professor, Reservoir Geophysics
Department of Earth Science, University of Bergen (UiB), Norway
2016-present Visiting Associate Professor, Seismic Modelling
NORSAR, Kjeller, Norway
2016/(01-06) Associate Professor (adjunct), Reservoir Geophysics
Department of Earth Science, University of Bergen (UiB), Norway
2012-2016 Associate Professor (adjunct), Near-Surface Geophysics
Department of Geosciences, University of Oslo (UiO), Norway
1993-2016 Principal Research Geophysicist, Seismic Modelling
NORSAR, Kjeller, Norway
FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS
2014 Norwegian Geophysical Award, Norwegian Petroleum Society.
2001 Best Paper award, Geophysical Prospecting, EAGE.
1992 NTNF Postdoctoral fellowship, NORSAR, Kjeller, Norway.
1991 EU Postdoctoral fellowship, NORSAR, Kjeller, Norway.
1988-1990 PhD grant, IFREMER, Brest/Strasbourg, France.
1988 NATO Scientific Division, Young Researcher, Summer School, Les Houches, France.
University of Bergen - UiB
- GEOV111, “Geofysiske Metodar”, responsible teacher from 2018 - 2017-present
- Lectures in GEOV272 (2016-present), PTEK100 (2016-present), Spain field course for geophysicists (2017)
University of Oslo - UiO
- GEO4120, “Environmental Geophysics”, responsible teacher - 2012-2016
- GEO4260, “Reservoir Geophysics”, responsible teacher - 2015
- GF281, “Inverse metoder”, responsible teacher - 1995
- Lectures in GEO4170 (2012), GEO4171 (2013), GEO4360 (2012-2014), GEO4620 (2013), GEO4181 (2015-2016), GEO4240 (2016-2017)
University Centre of Svalbard - UNIS
- AG222, “Integrated Geological Methods: from Outcrop to Geomodel” - 2018-present
- AG335, “Arctic Seismic Exploration”, lectures in micro-seismicity, seismic modelling and GPR - 2015, 2017
SVALEX - multidisciplinary integration of students, Norwegian Universities (UiO, UiB, NTNU, UiT, UiS and UNIS)
- Lectures/demos in near-surface geophysics and participation to petroleum-related student exercises - 2005-2009
- 2018. Seismic interpretation of sill complexes in sedimentary basins: Implications for the sub-sill imaging problem. Journal of the Geological Society. 175: 193-209. doi: 10.1144/jgs2017-096
- 2018. Analyzing PSDM images in complex geology via ray-based PSF-convolution modeling. SEG technical program expanded abstracts. 3843-3847.
- 2018. CO2 storage in the high Arctic: efficient modelling of pre-stack depth-migrated seismic sections for survey planning. Geophysical Prospecting. 66: 1180-1200. doi: 10.1111/1365-2478.12637
- 2018. From field analogues to realistic seismic modelling: a case study of an oil-producing andesitic sill complex in the Neuquén Basin, Argentina. Journal of the Geological Society. 175: 580-593. doi: 10.1144/jgs2017-116
- 2018. Integrating facies-based Bayesian inversion and supervised machine learning for petro-facies characterization in the Snadd Formation of the Goliat Field, south-western Barents Sea. Geophysical Prospecting. Published 2018-06-05. doi: 10.1111/1365-2478.12654
- 2017. 3D structure and formation of hydrothermal vent complexes at the paleocene-eocene transition, the Møre basin, MID-Norwegian margin. Interpretation. 5: SK65-SK81. doi: 10.1190/int-2016-0159.1
- 2017. Seismic modelling: 4D capabilities for CO2 injection. Energy Procedia. 114: 3432-3444. doi: 10.1016/j.egypro.2017.03.1474
- 2017. Prestack simultaneous inversion to predict lithology and pore fluid in the Realgrunnen Subgroup of the Goliat Field, southwestern Barents Sea. Interpretation. 5: SE75-SE96. doi: 10.1190/INT-2016-0109.1
- 2017. Prestack inversion and multiattribute analysis for porosity, shale volume, and sand probability in the Havert Formation of the Goliat field, southwest Barents Sea. Interpretation. 5: SL69-SL87. doi: 10.1190/INT-2016-0169.1
- 2016. Synthetic seismic illumination of small-scale growth faults, paralic deposits and low-angle clinoforms: A case study of the Triassic successions on Edgeøya, NW Barents Shelf. Marine and Petroleum Geology. 77: 625-639. doi: 10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2016.07.005
- 2016. Seismic characterisation of fault damage in 3D using mechanical and seismic modelling. Marine and Petroleum Geology. 77: 973-990. doi: 10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2016.08.002
- 2016. The impact of faults and fluid flow on seismic images of a relay ramp over production time. Petroleum Geoscience. 23: 17-28. doi: 10.1144/petgeo2016-027
- 2016. 2(3)D convolution modelling of complex geological targets – beyond 1D convolution. First Break. 34: 99-107.
- 2016. Prestack inversion for porosity, shale volume and sand probability in the Havert Formation of the Goliat field, SW Barents Sea. SEG technical program expanded abstracts. 3543-3547. doi: 10.1190/segam2016-13943690.1
- 2014. Monitoring of induced seismicity during the first geothermal reservoir stimulation at Paralana, Australia. Geothermics. 52: 120-131. doi: 10.1016/j.geothermics.2013.10.013
- 2014. From mechanical modeling to seismic imaging of faults: A synthetic workflow to study the impact of faults on seismic. Marine and Petroleum Geology. 57: 187-207. doi: 10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2014.05.013
- 2014. On the integrated use of geophysics for quick-clay mapping: The Hvittingfoss case study, Norway. Journal of Applied Geophysics. 106: 1-13. doi: 10.1016/j.jappgeo.2014.04.001
- 2013. Effects of mass-wasting on the stratigraphic architecture of a fjord-valley fill: Correlation of onshore, shear-wave seismic and marine seismic data at Trondheim, Norway. Sedimentary Geology. 289: 1-18. doi: 10.1016/j.sedgeo.2013.02.002
- 2013. On the prediction of settlement from high-resolution shear-wave reflection seismic data: The Trondheim harbour case study, mid Norway. Engineering Geology. 167: 72-83. doi: 10.1016/j.enggeo.2013.10.006
- 2013. Towards geophysical and geotechnical integration for quick-clay mapping in Norway. Near Surface Geophysics. 11: 613-623. doi: 10.3997/1873-0604.2012064
- 2012. Relationship between electrical resistivity and basic geotechnical parameters for marine clays. Canadian geotechnical journal (Print). 49: 1158-1168. doi: 10.1139/T2012-080
- 2012. Estimation of free gas saturation from seismic reflection surveys by the genetic algorithm inversion of a P-wave attenuation model. Geophysics. 77: R175-R187. doi: 10.1190/geo2011-0291.1
- 2012. Microseismic Monitoring of the hydraulic stimulation at the Paralana enhanced geothermal system, South Australia. First Break. 30: 91-95.
- 2012. Shallow Landslides and Their Dynamics in Coastal and Deepwater Environments, Norway. Advances in Natural and Technological Hazards Research. 31: 29-41. doi: 10.1007/978-94-007-2162-3_3
- 2009. Imaging and inversion - Introduction. Geophysics. 74: WCA1-WCA4. doi: 10.1190/1.3256872
- 2009. Value of illumination-consistent modeling in time-lapse seismic analysis. First Break. 75-83.
- 2008. Seismic reservoir characterization: In-cluding sensitivity to the overburden, survey, and reservoir properties when simulating the 3D seismic response to the reservoir. Earth Science Frontiers. 15. 123-132.
- 2008. Using geophysics on a terminal moraine damming a glacial lake: the Flatbre debris flow case,Western Norway. Advances in Geosciences. 14: 301-307. doi: 10.5194/adgeo-14-301-2008
- 2007. Improved applicability of ray tracing in seismic acquisition, imaging, and interpretation. Geophysics. 72: SM261-SM271. doi: 10.1190/1.2736515
- 2005. Improving Kirchhoff migration with repeated local plane-wave imaging? A SAR-inspired signal-processing approach. Geophysical Prospecting. 53: 767-785.
- 2005. International Centre for Geohazards (ICG): Assessment, prevention and mitigation og geohazards. Norsk Geologisk Tidsskrift. 85: 45-62.
- 2004. A review of 3D illumination studies. Journal of Seismic Exploration. 13: 17-37.
- 2004. Efficient and flexible seismic modeling of reservoirs: A hybrid approach. The Leading Edge. 23: 432-437.
- 2003. Local Plane-Wave Imaging of GPR Data. Journal of Environmental & Engineering Geophysics. 8: 115-121.
- 2002. An approach to combined rock physics and seismic modelling of fluid substitution effects. Geophysical Prospecting. 50: 119-137.
- 2001. Discussion of J. Chen and G.T. Schuster's paper: Resolution Limits of migrated images. Geophysics. 66.
- 1993. Finite-Difference Calculation of 1st Travel-Times in Anisotropic Media. Geophysical Journal International. 113: 318-342. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-246X.1993.tb00890.x
- 1991. Finite-Difference Computation of Traveltimes in Very Contrasted Velocity Models - a Massively Parallel Approach and Its Associated Tools. Geophysical Journal International. 105: 271-284. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-246X.1991.tb03461.x
- 2017. Final project report to KMB project 224880: SafeCO2 II 2013-2016 Investigation of induced seismicity and aseismic deformation in response to CO2 injection and related pressure changes. Final project report to industry partners, NORSAR report no. 16-022, Kjeller.
- 2010. The effect of illumination on source pulse estimation for PSDM seismic data. NR-notat. SAND/10/10. Norsk Regnesentral, Oslo. 21 pages.
- 2017. The Impact of Faults and Fluid Flow on Seismic Images of a Relay Ramp over Production Time. artikkel. In:
- 2017. 79th EAGE Conference & Exhibition 2017. European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers. 1000 pages. ISBN: 978-94-6282-217-7.
- 2016. From photorealistic outcrop models to synthetic seismic images. Artikkel, pages 182. In:
- 2016. 2nd Virtual Geoscience Conference, Proceedings Volume. 212 pages. ISBN: 978-82-8361-004-8.
- 2016. Prestack simultaneous inversion to predict lithology in the Realgrunnen subgroup of the Goliat Field, SW Barents Sea. We LHR3 03, pages . In:
- 2016. 7th EAGE Saint Petersburg International Conference and Exhibition. European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers. 986 pages. ISBN: 9781510822498.
- 2015. Understanding and analysing seismic images - Insight through appropriate modelling. WS12-A02, pages . In:
- 2015. Extended abstracts book: 77th EAGE Conference and Technical Exhibition, Madrid, Spain. European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers. ISBN: 978-94-6282-147-7.
- 2014. From Geomechanical Modelling to Seismic Imaging of 3D Faults. KAPITTEL. In:
- 2014. Conference proceedings. 76th EAGE Conference & Exhibition. European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers. 1000 pages. ISBN: 978-90-73834-89-7.
- 2014. The use of geophysics for sensitive clay investigations. 13, pages 159-178. In:
- 2014. Landslides in Sensitive Clays - From Geosciences to Risk Management. Springer. 416 pages. ISBN: 978-94-007-7078-2.
- 2014. Shear-wave Reflection-seismic Pilot Study at the UNIS CO2 Lab site, Longyearbyen, Svalbard. We P04 05, pages . In:
- 2014. Surface-wave Dispersion Inversion versus SH-wave Refraction Tomography in Saturated and Poorly Dispersive Quick Clays. Tu Verg 10, pages 500-504. In:
- 2014. Near Surface Geoscience 2014 - 20th European Meeting of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics. Proceedings of a meeting held 14-18 September 2014, Athens, Greece. Curran Associates, Inc.. 819 pages. ISBN: 9781634392747.
- 2014. Geophysical data integration for quick-clay mapping: The Hvittingfoss case study, Norway. 18, pages 229-239. In:
- 2013. 2D Spiking Deconvolution Approach to Resolution Enhancement of Prestack Depth Migrated Seismic Images. Th_06_07. In:
- 2013. Extended abstracts book: 75th EAGE Conference and Technical Exhibition, London, UK. European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers. 2000 pages. ISBN: 978-90-73834-48-4.
- 2013. Finneidfjord, a Field Laboratory for Integrated Submarine Slope Stability Assessments and Characterization of Landslide-Prone Sediments: A Review. OTC 23967. In:
- 2013. Offshore Technology Conference 2013 (OTC 2013). Curran Associates, Inc.. 3509 pages. ISBN: 9781627483391.
- 2012. The Importance of Coupling Passive and Active Seismic Methods in Geothermal Fields - A Case Study at Paralana, Australia. Extended abstract. In:
- 2012. 74th EAGE Conference & Exhibition incorporating SPE EUROPEC 2012. European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers. 4000 pages. ISBN: 978-90-73834-27-9.
- 2012. Joint Inversion of Surface-wave Dispersion, P-Wave Refraction and Apparent Resistivity Data. Extended Abstract. In:
- 2012. Near Surface Geoscience 2012. European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers. 1000 pages. ISBN: 978-90-73834-34-7.
- 2012. High-resolution sub-surface geo-characterization from shear-wave seismic reflection profiling: An example from the Trondheim harbour, mid Norway. x, pages 141-150. In:
- 2012. NGM 2012. Proc of the 16th Nordic Geotechnical Meeting. 844 pages. ISBN: 978-87-89833-27-9.
- 2012. Geophysical Investigations of Unstable Mountain Slopes in Jotunheimen, Norway. Extended Abstract. In:
- 2012. Quik-clay landslide-prone grounds in Norway and Sweden: a complex problem requiring a combined geophysical and teotechnical approach. Extended abstaracs, workshop 4. In:
- 2012. Geophysical Investigations of Quick-clay Slide Prone Areas. Extended Abstract. In:
- 2012. Quick-clay landslide-prone grounds in Norway and Sweden: a complex problem requiring a combined geophysical and geotechnical approach. Workshop 04. In:
- 2011. Impact of Diffraction on Resolution of PSDM. P384, pages . In:
- 2011. Extended Abstracts DVD of the 73rd EAGE Conference & Exhibition incorporating SPE EUROPEC. European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers. 600 pages. ISBN: 978-90-73834-12-5.
- 2011. Towards Joint Inversion/Interpretation for Landslide-prone Areas in Norway - Integrating Geophysics and Geotechnique. Geotechnical Applications of Geophysics. In:
- 2011. Near Surface 2011 - the 17th European Meeting of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics. European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers. 500 pages. ISBN: 978-90-73834-15-6.
- 2011. Shallow Landslides and Their Dynamics in Coastal and Deepwater Environments, Norway. 3, pages 29-41. In:
- 2011. Submarine Mass Movements and Their Consequences: 5th International Symposium. Springer. 756 pages. ISBN: 978-94-007-2161-6.
- 2010. A 3D Ray-based Pulse Estimation for Seismic Inversion of PSDM Data. A031. In:
- 2010. 72nd EAGE Conference & Exhibition incorporating SPE EUROPEC 2010 Barcelona. European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers. ISBN: 978-90-73781-86-3.
- 2010. Improved Ray-based Seismograms by Combining Modeling by Demiration with a Prestack Depth Migration Simulator. CO41. In:
- 2010. High-resolution SH-wave Seismic Reflection for Characterization on Onshore Ground Conditions in the Trondheim Harbor, Central Norway. 18, pages 297-312. In:
- 2010. Advances in near-surface seismology and grand-penetrating radar. 16 pages. ISBN: 978-0-931830-41-9.
- 2000. The resolution function in linearized Born and Kirchhoff inversion. Kapitel. In:
- 2000. Lecture Notes in Earth Science: Methods and Applications of Inversion. Springer Publishing Company. ISBN: 9783540659167.
- 1999. The Resolution Function in Prestack Depth Migration. KAPITTEL. In:
- 1999. Extended Abstracts Book: 61st EAGE Conference and Technical Exhibition, Helsinki, Finland. 1500 pages. ISBN: 90-73781-10-8.
University of Bergen (approved full pedagogy completed in 2017, with UiO part + 5 UiB ECTS)
- UiB TALIDA education project for GEOV111- 2017-present
- Pedagogy, “UPED621: Vurdering og vurderingsformer”, 5 ECTS - 2017
- Pedagogy, “UPED637: How to Create Effective Instructional Videos”, 5 ECTS - 2017
University of Oslo (87.5% of full pedagogy, taken during 5-year adjunct position 2012-2016)
- Pedagogy, “The courage to teach”, 12.5% module (12 hours; voluntary) - 2015
- Pedagogy, “Forskningsveiledning”, 25% module (25 hours; voluntary) - 2014
- Pedagogy, “Basiskompetanse”, 50% module (50 hours; mandatory for adjunct professors)- 2013
UiB/GEO project leader for UiB participation in “Forecasting of architecture, seismic characteristics and flow behaviour in paleokarst reservoirs - FOPAK”, NFR Petromaks2 contract 267634/E30, led by NORCE/CIPR, Jan Tveranger project leader.