ACDC 2019 Practical Details
This page will continuously be updated with practical information for the participants.
We will be staying at the Yosemite Field Station during the weeks, and we'll spend the weekend in the field. We'll have excursions for fieldwork to Mono Lake and Yosemite National Park.
There will be low to no cell phone reception, but there will be WiFi at the research station. A washer/dryer will be available, so there is a possibility to do laundry (but you must bring along your own detergent). Practical information about the Field Station can be found here and here.
Webcam from the research station
The program will start early in the morning on Monday 23. September, so everyone needs to arrive on Sunday evening.
All participants need to make their own travel rearrangements to Yosemite (Yosemite Field Station, Wawona) if they are not going to join the organized bus from Fresno Yosemite International Airport (FAT) to the UC Merced Yosemite Field Station. https://goo.gl/maps/YpCbAMFvmv1KBjqW6
To celebrate all the nationalities represented at the ACDC Summer School, we ask participants to bring a food item special for their home country. Please remember to declare the food item at customs if required.
What to bring
We want to limit the amount of garbage we produce, so we will not provide paper or plastic cups and plates in the field. We plan for a two night stay in the field.
- Wind and waterproof clothing (jacket and trousers)
- Warm clothes
- Indoor shoes
- Hat, scarf and mittens
- Travel insurance
- Lunch box
- Water bottle
- Camera (we encourage students and lecturers to share their pictures)
- Backpack for weekend field trip/hiking
- Plate, cup, fork, spoon and knife.
- Proper hiking boots
- Laptop (+ memory stick for student presentations; 8 minute presentation - maximum 8 slides)
- Mosquito repellent
- Sleeping mat
- Sleeping bag (and if you prefer not to sleep in the sleeping bag in the cabin, bed linen or sleeping bag liner)
- Tent (optional, but we encourage you to bring it if you have one)
- Sun screen
- Sun glasses
- Head torch
Program and reading material for the lectures
Program, lecture slides (after the lectures) and literature can be found here